community_studios - [Community_studios] Tauzin letter to FCC Chairman Powell: Comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: dmca_discuss-admin <dmca_discuss-admin AT lists.microshaft.org>
  • Cc: community_studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cluetrain AT topica.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Tauzin letter to FCC Chairman Powell: Comment
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:48:53 -0700

Hi: Just to show how far removed our elected officials are from reality, here's a sample quote from Tauzin's letter to FCC Chairman Powell:
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/
"At the same time, the Federal Communications Commission ( FCC or Commission ) has ample authority to address these issues independently of the Congress. In fact, the FCC has worked on many of these issues for quite some time."

http://www.fcc.gov/broadband/ highlights the FCC's interest in Broadband activities.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumers.html This is the page displayed when you click on the http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/broadband.html link for consumers. IT'S BLANK!

More Tauzin:
"To that end, we are writing to urge that you also begin working to implement a broadcast flag solution to protect digital content delivered over the broadcast airwaves. The FCC currently possesses the authority to act now under the statutory provisions in the Communications Act. For example, 47 U.S.C. § 336(b)(4) authorizes the FCC to adopt such technical and other requirements as may be necessary or appropriate to assure the quality of thesignal used to provide advanced television services. In addition, 47 U.S.C. § 336(b)(5) grants the FCC the authority to prescribe regulations relating to advanced television services as may be necessary for the protection of the public interest, convenience, and necessity. And lastly, Title I of the Communications Act provides jurisdiction that is reasonably ancillary to its specific grants of authority over telecommunications issues. 47 U.S.C. § 154(i)."

"As the Commission implements the broadcast flag solution, it is essential that the views of all interested parties, including high tech and consumer groups, be afforded careful review and consideration. Any solution must strike an appropriate balance between the need to protect digital content from piracy while, at the same time, continuing to stimulate technological innovation and maintain reasonable consumer expectations."
--
We're not consumers, but users/producers/customers/creators/innovators, but not consumers.

I futzed around with their ECFS http://www.fcc.gov/e-file/ecfs.html

It requires a proceeding number. I used RM-9514, and sent a brief comment. I will let you know if I get a response in the postal mail as indicated. I suspect that they will have to alter that process to accommodate the new interest as the broadcast flag issue proceeds.
Reno, NV
--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

  • [Community_studios] Tauzin letter to FCC Chairman Powell: Comment, tom poe, 07/22/2002