chtechcomm - [Chtechcomm] FYI: $175K+ IT Budget Requests To Date

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: chtechboard AT willraymond.org
  • To: Chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: laurineasthom AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: [Chtechcomm] FYI: $175K+ IT Budget Requests To Date
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:25:07 -0800 (PST)

Hey all,

It's budget time and once again it seems our board has to play the game of
"find the IT budget requests". Maybe next year we'll be cut into the
process as a matter of course?

http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2006/03/08/8a/granicus.htm

$31,000 + $700/month - Streaming video system - We discussed a much
cheaper system but it seems like that discussion wasn't routed to the
right folks.

http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2006/03/08/3/chpd_2006-2007_budget_request.htm

$6500 + $10200 + $54000 for Police Support. $54K seems awful steep for 4
mobile stations + 1 year of communications service.

http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2006/03/08/6a/it_budget_working_paper_db_analyst.htm

$66,000 for DB Analyst for 10 months - I'm quite disappointed that when I
asked Bob about the IT budget this year just recently that this position
was omitted.

This is just the beginning, so we could, as a committee, ask to
participate more closely in evaluating these items. I hope we will.

Thank you,

Will

DETAILS

VIDEO STREAMING

The purpose of this report is to recommend that the 2006-07 budget include
an allocation of $31,000 to purchase software that would allow on-demand
video streaming of Council meetings. In addition to this initial software
cost there are monthly service costs of approximately $700.

IT REQUEST

I recommend a Database Systems Analyst position be added to the
Information Technology Department with salary and benefits funded at
$66,000 for 10 months.

This position would require ability in programming, operation, and
maintenance procedures for database systems and would include the
following responsibilities:

* Coordination of database support with vendors and departments
* Development of database applications
* Training of Town staff in the use of database programs

POLICE REQUEST - NOTE the communications costs in this.

Moblan Licenses (13) $6,500

Moblan is the Open Software Solutions Inc. records management software
that is on desktop machines, but functions like the software on the mobile
computers in the vehicles. Supervisors in the building use it to read and
approve reports submitted on the mobile computers. Records personnel use
it to edit and retrieve reports submitted on the mobiles.

Presently the five school resource officers do not have access to the
police department database. They can neither file reports nor retrieve
information from our records. Using Moblan on their computers at their
schools will be the most efficient and cost effective way for them to
access police department information.

Arrest Module for 34 Mobile Communication Terminals $10,200

Open Software Solutions Inc. has recently released a version of the arrest
module for mobile communication terminals. Presently officers can enter
arrest data only on desktop computers in the headquarters building. The
mobile arrest module would allow officers to enter arrest data in the
field (if no mug shot is needed). Also some data entry can be done in the
field before or after the mug shot is captured in the building. This
would enable officers to stay in their patrol areas while entering arrest
data, reducing time and gasoline used.

Mobile Data Terminals (four at a total cost of $54,000)

These four mobile computers would be mounted in marked patrol vehicles and
be used by officers in the field. The cost includes the computer,
accessories, mounting hardware, software and licenses, an air card and
service for one year. The computers help enable the officers to remain in
their assigned areas during their shift, cutting down on the need to
return to Police Headquarters to perform routine administrative tasks.