chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Granicus not a good solution

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Granicus not a good solution
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:13:10 -0500

Information on UNC's Open Video Project can be found at http://www.open-video.org.

Seems to me like this issue is a recycling of the open standards discussion we have had so many times over the past several years. I would would encourage the town to treat video (all multimedia) files as public documents/archives, even if the state does not require us to do so.

As most of you will recall, the Manager and the Mayor put us on notice back in June that they don't consider what we submitted in April to be an official technology plan. IMHO, getting that plan restructured and officially submitted and received should be the #1 committee priority. It could help us focus on issues like this and the one Will raised last night while the infrastructure group works on wireless. I submitted a draft one-pager back in July that I would like to see discussed at the December meeting (if we have one).

Terri

chtechboard AT willraymond.org wrote:

Hey guys,

I think we'd do much better going with open source, non-proprietary solutions
like UNC's Open Video Project which will cost quite a bit less, is dedicated
to open formats that'll stand the test of time and are modifiable for
any of our Town's unique needs.

Besides Granicus' exclusive use of Windows Media Player 9 for playback,
they appear to hold your content "in trust" as part of the package.

Will