chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] WiFi info

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] WiFi info
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:57:07 -0400

Allan,

I'll leave the technological aspects of municipal WiFi to Will. As to the 'background decision to implement wifi/, it doesn't exist. Here's my take on the background. Others may see it differently.

We have been charged with working with DEDC and others to investigate the feasibility of pursuing WiFi (as a result of petitions found at:
http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/ca050627/, item #3a).

The initial public call for a downtown wifi initiative came from members of DEDC back in late winter/early spring. As far as I can tell, that public call was prompted more by keeping up with Carrboro than any concrete expectations for how such an initiative could be structured or would benefit Chapel Hill.

Terri

Allan Polak wrote:

Will/Terri,

Could you please point me, and other interested
parties, in the direction of info regarding not only
the technological aspects of municipal WiFi
(networking), but also background concerning the
decision to implement WiFi in Chapel Hill according to
the criteria discussed last week.

Thank you,

Allan Polak

--- Will R <chtechboard AT yahoo.com> wrote:

CC is using a mix of WiMax, Wifi and fibre for their
cloud. An interesting cost
driver is the savings in reading gas and electric
meters.

That aside, I've included the article mainly because
it shows a stoplight mounted
unit.

http://www.joejava.com/citychristeneddigital.htm

Will