chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] shimmer

  • From: Laura Williams <lw100 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Cc: Emily Kass <eskass AT aol.com>, "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] shimmer
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 12:54:57 -0400

I actually think the February date is good. I realize there are challenges regarding the cold weather but I also think there are opportunities.
Think hot chocolate booths, warming tents. These are great places to create gathering spots where we could hand out more information or artists could be present to discuss their art.
Even though it was so cold last year I thought it brought something special to the event. I feel as though it brought people together and everyone enjoyed begin out at a time of year we are sick of being inside.
We also could find more ways to get people back and forth to all the venues. The Carrboro Music Festival has to deal with this issue and I think they do a great job. Kids love rides!

It was not good for the artists, but that was because we were not prepared for the cold and frankly there was a lot of issues regarding how we gave the artists a break etc.
That needs to be discussed and worked out this year.

I also really like the idea that this takes place in the winter. Light in the darkest time of the year.
I also think that it is really, really important to coordinate with 2nd Friday. We are trying to build that event and this is a fantastic way to support the local business who participate in 2nd Friday.

The technological challenges can be handed back to the artists. The big issue last year is that the artists did not know about the cold weather. We did not know about the cold weather.
There are all kinds of winter art festivals that happen up North and I think we could figure it out.

So that is my 2 cents.

Laura

Other towns that have winter festivals.