chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] priorities memo

  • From: "Sobbe, Andi" <Andi AT dev.unc.edu>
  • To: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>, <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] priorities memo
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:06:46 -0500

All – I agree with Pam. I don’t think it’s wise to suggest that we find alternative funding for these programs. Maybe we could consider merging paragraph 2 with paragraph 3 – I see them as integrally related.  After all, what are these programs for if not “insuring that CH citizens are engaged with and appreciate and support public art”?

2. Increased resources are needed to support a more effective strategy for insuring that Chapel Hill’s citizens are engaged with and appreciate and support public art as an integral feature of the community experience.  The current ingredients of the municipal public art program, such as the Community Art Project, Sculpture Visions, and the Artists in Residence at the Public Schools should be continued and, if possible, expanded. Other programs that engage the community could and should be created. For example, public forums designed to solicit community sentiment should be incorporated into the process for planning Percent For Art projects and envisioning other new opportunities for public art; distinguished public artists should be invited to Chapel Hill for public events at which they would share their visions about public art opportunities in our municipal context; information about and arranged tours of existing public art installations should be made available to residents and visitors; larger and more suitable venues for the display of art exhibitions should be developed.

While I think that artists’ space is a wonderful proposal, I agree with Frank that it’s not been part of our active planning (as far as I know) and probably shouldn’t be included if the entire commission has not discussed it.

Andi

Andi Sobbe
Director of Prospect and Donor Relations
208 W. Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC  27516
(919)962-2546