chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] SUP materials for Oct 24 mtg

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] SUP materials for Oct 24 mtg
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:00:20 -0400

Dear CHPAC,

At our special meeting scheduled for 6 pm next Wednesday, October 24th,
in addition to considering changes to our by-laws resulting from the
impending change of the organization's status, our commission will also
be asked to review and approve a Special Use Permit for the Library and
Pritchard Park Project. To that end we will hear a brief presentation
of the project by the Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation Bill
Webster right at 6 pm.

Please review the attached memoranda regarding this Special Use Permit
or let me know if you'd like a hardcopy mailed to you. Also please let
me know if you are unable to attend this meeting.

Thank you,

Steve

p.s. - below is an item in today's paper

Chapel Hill Herald Letters To The Editor
- We're letting them eat cake
Five years ago our Chapel Hill City Council unanimously adopted a
"Percent for Art Program," which we can now evaluate in retrospect. We
are told that the measure is a statement of our values. To my shame, I
agree.
http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/chhletters/index.cfm#890123

Five years ago our Chapel Hill City Council unanimously adopted a
"Percent for Art Program," which we can now evaluate in retrospect. We
are told that the measure is a statement of our values. To my shame, I
agree.

Our "bridge to nowhere" is the $420,000 masterpiece recently unveiled at
the new town center, where our buses are stored and maintained. If you
go early enough, you can beat the crowds and view the amorphous block of
beautiful marble that sits on the sidewalk bordering the parking lot.
With diligence you can find your way through an office building into the
private backyard, and see the abbreviated stone wall. Embedded in it are
several hand-crafted bronze tools. This is meant to honor the
maintenance men who work there.

We have an increasing need for subsidized housing in our city. Many
people who care for our children, clean our houses, and mow our lawns
contribute immeasurably to our elite lifestyle, but cannot afford to
live here. We reincarnate Marie Antoinette who, when told her people
were starving for the lack of bread, said, "Let them eat cake!" Thus do
we parade our values!

Frances Fuller
Chapel Hill
October 17, 2007

  • [Chpac-staff] SUP materials for Oct 24 mtg, Steve Wright, 10/17/2007