chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] upcoming meetings, CHPAC In News

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] upcoming meetings, CHPAC In News
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:27:10 -0400

Dear CHPAC,

For the benefit of those who were not at Wednesday's commission meeting
I am highlighting two important upcoming meeting dates:

Monday, October 22nd Town Council will hear a recommendation on the
future organizational status of the CHAPC at it's regular business
meeting which begins at 7 pm. We are item #8 on the draft agenda and
should be discussed around 8 pm (see
http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2007/10/22/ ). Town
Meetings are aired on cable channel 18.

Wednesday, October 24th at 6 pm the CHPAC will hold a special meeing in
the First Floor Conference Room of Town Hall to consider changes to
Commission by-laws and other items resulting from the Town Council's
decision on the organization's future structure. The Percent For Art
meeting that is normally held at this time will be moved up to 5 pm this
evening.

For more details from Wednesday's meeting see the attached minutes
draft.

Finally, linked and reproduced below is an article from today's Tarheel
that mentions public artwork in the last few lines.

Best,

Steve

- Hopefuls reflect on town-gown
By: Matt Tomsic, Staff Writer
Candidates for the Chapel Hill Town Council addressed town-gown
relations and discussed the public art program at a forum Thursday.
The local AARP chapter hosted the forum at the Seymour Senior Center on
Homestead Road.
http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/media/storage/paper885/news/2007/10/12
/City/Hopefuls.Reflect.On.TownGown-3029041.shtml

Hopefuls reflect on town-gown
By: Matt Tomsic, Staff Writer
Candidates for the Chapel Hill Town Council addressed town-gown
relations and discussed the public art program at a forum Thursday.

The local AARP chapter hosted the forum at the Seymour Senior Center on
Homestead Road.

Candidate Matt Czajkowski said the town needs to have an open dialogue
with the University, especially regarding Carolina North, the
University's proposed satellite research campus.

"I don't believe there is a true collaborative approach to the
University," he said.

Incumbent Bill Strom said the town and UNC have a long history of
collaborating on many projects.

"I think that relations between town and the gown have been better in
the last four years than in the previous decade," he said. "I think
that's the model we're following with Carolina North."

Candidate Penny Rich said the University and the town have been on good
terms recently, citing her experience with collaboration on the Orange
Water and Sewer Authority.

Rich, who has served on OWASA's board of directors since 2001, said the
University and OWASA worked well together during the drought in 2002 to
ensure the University would have enough water.

Rich said interaction between Chapel Hill and the University regarding
Carolina North should follow a similar path.

People shouldn't dwell on the disagreements that the town and UNC have
with regard to Carolina North, Rich added.

"When we have disagreements, that's how we learn what's on each other's
mind," she said.

Incumbent Jim Ward also said disagreements are to be expected.

But he pointed to other areas in which the two have worked together,
such as transportation services and stormwater management.

"That's the kind of relationship we'll have with Carolina North," he
said.

Candidate Will Raymond said the relationship between the University and
the town suffers from a lack of constant discussion on issues that
affect them both.

"I think we need a sustained framework for dialogue within the
University," he said.

Candidates also discussed the public's negative reaction to some of the
artwork that the town displays on public property.

Incumbent Cam Hill said the artwork has other functions besides pleasing
the eye.

"If it gets people out there to see the art, then it's a good thing," he
said. "I think that the public art program, this is exactly what it is
supposed to do, and I think it was a success."

Another incumbent, Sally Greene, said the artwork does have a local
element to it, despite some people's beliefs that an artist came in from
somewhere else to design it.

"It is simply not true that the employees had nothing to do with this
art," she said.

  • [Chpac-staff] upcoming meetings, CHPAC In News, Steve Wright, 10/12/2007