ch-scene - [Internationalist] Today! Shop For Prison Abolition and March Report Back

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Today! Shop For Prison Abolition and March Report Back
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 07:22:52 -0800

Hey Y'all,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1) Wed. Dec 4th - Shop For Prison Abolition @ Rumors Boutique

2) Wed. Dec. 11th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

3) Sat. Dec. 14th - Anarchists Against The Wall

4) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

5) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

6) Round up of news and report backs from the "Justice For Chuy March"

1) Shop For Prison Abolition

This Wednesday 12/4 Rumors Boutique located at 106 c North Graham St in
Chapel Hill will be donating 20% of their proceeds to the Prison Books
Collective. It’s called “Shop for a Cause” and they do it for a different
group every Wednesday in December. So if you’re in the mood for some hip,
pre-loved clothes, Wednesday is a great day to get them and support the
work of the Prison Books Collective. http://wp.me/p18Qq1-11Z

2)Wednesday December 11th - Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

This month help us address our winter solstice holiday card to every
political prisoner in the U$A. We'll also write letters and birthday cards
to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the month of December.
It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. These men
and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. If
you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday
card from home. http://wp.me/p18Qq1-10D

3) Sat. Dec. 14th - The Soldier and the Refusenik: Anarchists against the
Wall 7pm @ I Books - Free, but donations strongly encouraged

A national advocacy/fundraising tour for the legal fund that sustains the
Israeli/Palestinian peace movement's lawyers, representing Palestinian,
Israeli and International activists who get arrested during demonstrations
and other direct actions.

4) Prison Books Workdays Every Sunday from 1 – 4 pm in Carrboro.

For 7 years the Internationalist Prison Books Collective has been sending
books and resource guides, by request, to thousands of prisoners all over
the South. Whether a prisoner is teaching themselves to read, filing a
grievance, or organizing on the inside, we are a lifeline.

And we need your help! Due to an increase in requests, we desperately need
people to help open prisoners' letters and fill packages. It's a simple
and fulfilling way to make a difference and show people they aren't
forgotten.

Every Sunday @ 1pm email us or go to our website prisonbooks.info for more
information.

5) Bubble Envelope Mailers Needed

We need bubble mailer envelopes! We're selling books online to help fund
our prison book project and we need bubble mailer envelopes. Please help
us out. If you don't have any bubble mailers please consider helping us by
becoming a monthly sustainer of our work or making a one-time donation.
Your generosity not only feeds our work, it is a part of it. Pooling
resources is resistance in action.
https://www.wepay.com/donations/prison-books-monthly-sustainer

6) A week and a half ago hundreds of people marched through the streets of
Durham against the police. By almost all accounts, except for corporate
journalists and the people who believe their lies, it was a beautiful and
empowering demonstration of rage and grief at both the the senseless death
of Jesús "Chuy" Huerta and the daily brutality and inhumanity of police
everywhere. We've collected links to relevant articles from the
resistance.

Article from Qué Pasa (the only mainstream newspaper that didn't attempt
to demonize and divide protesters)http://wp.me/p18Qq1-11A

Statement from the March organizers (sorry, it's only on facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/notes/rafael-estrada/short-statement-on-the-events-from-the-march-for-justice-on-friday-continua-en-e/253029338184949

Statement from some anarchists on media demonetization, grief, and
courage: http://wp.me/p18Qq1-11H

An anonymous account of the entire demonstration with links to corporate
media coverage: http://wp.me/p18Qq1-11N