ch-scene - [Internationalist] More Book Sales, Letter Writing, and the CA hunger strike comes to an end

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] More Book Sales, Letter Writing, and the CA hunger strike comes to an end
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:35:45 -0700

Dear Members,

In this email You will find info on these events:

1)Sat. Sep. 7th – Sep. 14th – Last few days Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale!
@ I Books

2)Sun. Sep. 15th - Prison Books Benefit Bag sale of Books in Carrboro

3)Sun. Sep. 15th : Dinner and a Movie benefit event For UNCHAIN, a support
fund for families of NC political prisoners

4) COMMUNITY RESPONSE DAY: March & Rally Demanding Police Accountability &
Community Oversight in Durham

5)Wed. Sep. 18th – September Political Prisoner Letter Writing @ I Books

6)Wed. Sep. 25th - Trans Discussion Group (open) @ I Books

7)CA Hunger Strike Has Been Suspended

1)Saturday September 7th – 14th @ I Books During normal business hours

Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale! Lots of amazing books left!

Internationalist Books and Community Center is having a sidewalk sale with
hundreds of books from our used and overstock inventory. We’ve got to make
room for all the exciting new titles we’re getting in, so we’ve got some
books that need a good home!

The Sliding Scale Sidewalk Sale is your opportunity to get amazing books and
choose how much you want to pay to support the work of the Internationalist
Books and Community Center, a 30 year old non-profit volunteer collective
bookstore and community center in Chapel Hill!

You pick out the books and decide how much you want to pay for what you
find! $1 minimum per book.

2)Sunday September 8th @ 10am- 4pm (Rain or Shine)
@ the Hillsborough Rd. Co Op. 621 Hillsborough Rd. in Carrboro

Prison Books Benefit Book sale
Bargain shoppers can stuff brown grocery bags full of books for just $10 a
bag

BAG SALE OF USED BOOKS THIS SUNDAY: This Sunday, September 15th, the Prison
Books Collective is hosting a one day bag sale starting at 10am. We have
hundreds and hundreds of great books that we can’t send into prisons, but
that we can send home with you. Many left political titles, history,
literature, contemporary fiction, art, and miscellany. This sale is a
benefit to raise funds for our enormous postage costs.

This giant book sale is a great way to get some wonderful books and support
the work of the Prison Books Collective.

We can take debit and credit cards.

3) Sunday, September 15th

Dinner and a Movie benefit event-
For UNCHAIN, a support fund for families of NC political prisoners

Suggested $10-$20 donation

Dinner Details: Doors at 5:30, Serving begins at 6:00pm until we run out!
At Ninth St. Bakery, 136 E. Chapel Hill St., Downtown Durham
Cooking up and dishing out nostalgic recipes from Soy Not Oi! (all vegan,
some gf) Tabling by Prison Books and GSO Legal Defense Fund

Movie details: 9:00pm screening of La Haine at the Pinhook,
117 W Main St Downtown Durham.
Expect Popcorn and the potential for stimulating discussion.

La Haine is a French narrative film about the days after a riot in the
suburbs of Paris while a group of friends await the news of their
friend’s fate after being brutalized by the police.

"La haine attise la haine!" // Hatred stirs up hatred.

4) COMMUNITY RESPONSE DAY: March & Rally Demanding Police Accountability &
Community Oversight in Durham

Durham NC- Join us on Monday September 16, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. as we march
and rally, calling for an end to racial discrimination and police
brutality in Durham. The March will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Durham
Police Department and end at 1 City Plaza. At 7:00 p.m., we will begin a
community speakout, at 1 city Plaza, for individuals, families, and
friends of those directly impacted by the persistent patterns of racial
discrimination and police misconduct. Community members will announce
their demands for a reconciliation process that addresses their needs.
These concerns and demands will also be presented before the City Council
Work Session on Thursday September 19, 2013 at 1 p.m.

FADE - is a campaign of the Durham Second Chance Alliance (DSCA). The
purpose of FADE is to advocate for the reclassification of Marijuana,
currently a misdemeanor to a non-criminal infraction. DSCA believes this
policy change will begin a paradigm shift in Drug Enforcement- away from a
criminal justice and punishment scheme towards a civil penalty and
treatment model.

Contact us at: durhamfade AT gmail.com or (919)794-7570

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DURHAM.FADE

5)Wednesday September 18th @ 7pm @ I Books

September Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

The Internationalist Prison Books Collective brings you this month’s
Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night! Write letters and birthday cards
to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the month of September.
It’s an easy way to let these people know they aren’t forgotten. These men
and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. If
you can’t make it to the letter writing night then please send a birthday
card from home. You can find their addresses here: http://wp.me/p18Qq1-SS

6)Wednesday September 25th - Trans Discussion Group (open) @ 8pm @ I Books

This is open to friends and family as well for people who identify as
transgender or gender-nonconforming.

7)After 60 days, prisoners in California have called off their hunger strike.
You can read their statement to their supporters regarding the end of the
hunger strike here:
http://prisonbooks.info/2013/09/05/statement-suspending-the-third-hunger-strike/

Thanks for Reading,
Solidarity Forever,
Internationalist Books and Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: