ch-scene - [Internationalist] Major Anti-Fracking Civil Disobedience: 10 Arrested. Bail $ Needed

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Major Anti-Fracking Civil Disobedience: 10 Arrested. Bail $ Needed
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 17:17:48 -0700

Please donate for bail on Croatan Earth First!'s website:
http://croatanearthfirst.com/

More on the action:
BREAKING: Hundreds of Protesters Shut Down Oil & Gas Chemical Supplier to
Protest Fracking

For Pictures Go Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89125433@N06/sets/72157634545306921/

By halting delivery of fracking proppants protesters hope to stall
fracking efforts in North Carolina. See bottom of article for list of
Momentive facilities worldwide, and take action!

Morganton, NC – On the edge of the western mountain range, protesters with
Croatan Earth First! are currently occupying an industrial manufacturing
facility owned by Momentive and located at 114 Industrial Drive. North
Carolinians, who have been fighting to prevent hydraulic fracturing from
coming to central North Carolina are joined in this action by people from
around the country who also oppose shale gas extraction nationwide.
Momentive is one of the largest worldwide distributors of “resin coated
proppants,” a necessary component for fracking. Each fracturing stage
requires approximately 136 tonnes of proppants.

“We are here to send a message to the oil and gas industries: we will not
stand idly by as you destroy this land, or any other, for your personal
profit. Respect existence, or expect resistance,” said an Earth First!
activist.

The North Carolina legislature plans to begin permitting frack sites as
early as March 2015 in the Cumnock Shale Basin located underneath Lee,
Moore, Chatham, and surrounding counties. Fracking has been tied to water
aquifer contamination in Pavilion, Wyoming according to an EPA study and
linked to high levels of methane in Pennsylvania water wells according to
a study by Duke University. Researchers with Cornell University found
that fracking operations nationwide released massive amounts of methane (a
greenhouse gas) straight into the atmosphere, and concluded that, if not
curbed, would speed climate change faster than carbon emissions.

The NC legislature is negotiating on the possibility of legalizing toxic
wastewater injection in state or transporting it elsewhere. The process
uses 1-8 million gallons of clean water each time a well is fracked.

“We are under drought conditions already, yet the oil and gas industry
is allowed to pump millions of gallons of water out of our streams.
This is devastating life in our rivers and streams. To make matters
worse they send this water back into the riverways poisoned with
radioactive materials,” said organizer Lydia Nickles. “Preserving our
waters is preserving our lives and all life. We want an end to shale gas
extraction everywhere.”

Activists with the Earth First! Movement are calling on people nationwide
to resist fracking where they live and organize solidarity actions.

“Even if you don’t have a rig in your area to shut down, you can affect
the industry. Momentive and other companies that create proppants for
the gas industry have facilities nationwide as well as internationally.
It’s time to disrupt the chain of supply. Go to www.frackindustry.org and
organize to take action now!”

Momentive’s worldwide headquarters are located in Columbus, Ohio and other
locations can be found online at:
http://www.momentive.com/locations_home.aspx?id=293

A message from Croatan Earth First!: “We are acting in solidarity with
and take inspiration from the courageous many who have been standing
together to take action in the North Carolina capital during Moral
Mondays, and we encourage everyone to continue to show our collective
power, acting up against the repressive corporate and legislative powers
for the liberation of all and the integrity of land, water and air.”
Croatan Earth First! encourages others to follow this example and take
action against fracking and proppant manufacturing facilities. Find a
location near you:

http://earthfirstnews.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/breaking-hundreds-of-protesters-shut-down-oil-gas-chemical-supplier-to-protest-fracking/

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: