ch-scene - [Internationalist] Middle East Dialogue Group-- Thursday April 19, 8 PM

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Middle East Dialogue Group-- Thursday April 19, 8 PM
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:14:03 -0400

Hey all,

I hope all of your Aprils have gone well thus far. I wanted to send a quick
description of the Middle East Dialogue event I'm running at the Bookstore
this upcoming Thursday at 8.

Here's the 1 minute rundown: I'm setting up a group to have people begin to
discuss the conflicts in the Middle East. The Middle East conflict embodies
our attention because it is simply that: a human conflict. How do we
reconcile storylines, cultures, experiences of those in conflict, each of
which are struggling to be heard, legitimized, and, ultimately, cared for?
As humans, we look at conflict and see how we would understand it
ourselves, and we take a stance based on our vantage points upon how to
resolve it, yet it is often in our stances or how we take our stances that
further divide us from each other, even though our intentions may be the
same. Disunity is the frontier of the 21st century, and we need, more than
ever, to start taking the time to engage with the other regardless of your
faith or belief, because in the end, conflict will cease when the
proverbial them becomes a more comprehensive and all-encompassing us.

We begin to tackle this issue of disunity through an unpacking of what
divides us: the way in which we communicate, verbally, physically,
emotionally. Thus, I mean to start a group that does two things: 1) enables
people of a wide variety of political viewpoints to engage on a contentious
issue and 2) to teach people to create a nonviolent space for people to
express themselves without fear of being refuted for what they have to say.
For this reason, I am going to start a group that will devote themselves to
communicating freely about their impressions of a conflict, but do so in a
manner that respects others' triggers and difficulties. All viewpoints are
strongly encouraged to come. I hope this will become one in a series of
several dialogues that will take place over the next two months. More
details of the event itself can be found
here<https://www.facebook.com/events/219175404848833/>,
and an outline of what will happen this Thursday can be found below.

Thank you for giving me your time and attention. I look forward to seeing
and meeting you this Thursday at 8 :-)

Hasan Bhatti

Outline of the Event:

The first dialogue (and those that follow) will consist of the following
parts:
1) The Contract: introduce the art of communicating through difference
2) The Spark: introducing an activity meant to instigate your own beliefs,
and beginning to communicate one's viewpoint through non-verbal means
3) The Ember: verbalizing your
3) The Fire: a facilitated dialogue hinging on three questions; the three
questions this week will confront one's core values with regard to our
viewpoints toward the US's involvement in the Middle East.

The dialogue will be facilitated under a specific communication agreement
that will A) protect everyone's viewpoint as a legitimate and real
experience, B) usher a non-generalized and respectful expression of one's
personal beliefs C) ensure that everyone, despite their own viewpoints,
will hear and respect the opinions that put forth by others.
--
Hasan Bhatti
AVODAH: The Jewish Service Corps Fellow '10-'11