ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 18, 2012

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 18, 2012
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:42:48 -0500

On Wednesday night 1/18 there's also a house show at some place called
Ladybird
Basement (204 James Street. Carrboro 27510), with Ben Davis & The Jett$ and
some other folks.

Wednesday, January 18
High School Battle of the Bands
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Not quite sure why there's another one of these just a week after the other
one, but here's the lineup: Above Gravity, Alvern Santos and His Compadres,
Completely Off Balance, On The Record, Oxygen Morons, Right of Way, The Shy
Guys, The Youngmen

Show starts at 6:30!

Wednesday, January 18
Orgavin (http://www.myspace.com/orgavin7)
Hendecatope (http://www.reverbnation.com/hendecatope)
Surrealia (http://www.reverbnation.com/surrealia)
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, January 18
Rebekah Jean
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Wednesday, January 18
919Noise Showcase (http://www.myspace.com/919noise)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This month's 919Noise showcase is bass-centric:

Derek Poteat (ex-Ahleuchatistas) <http://www.myspace.com/derekmpoteat>
Subscape Annex <http://www.subscapeannex.com/sounds.html>
David Menestres <http://punknightmares.bandcamp.com/album/feedback-studies>
Xopher Thurston double-barrel bass

Wednesday, January 18
The Features (http://www.myspace.com/thefeatures)
Girl in a Coma (http://girlinacoma.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 19
Boy
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, January 19
The Beast
Shirlette & the Dynamite Brothers
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, January 19
Bright Light Social Hour (http://www.thebrightlightsocialhour.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 19
Lake and Hennepin
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.reverbnation.com/theedirtybeats)
The Old One Two (http://www.reverbnation.com/theoldonetwo)
The Casbah, Durham

Thee Dirtybeats are an awesome local garage-rock band -- these guys are
true aficionados of the genre & it shows. Lake & Hennepin is one of Reese
McHenry's many new side projects.

Thursday, January 19
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Stag (http://www.snatchesofpink.com/stag/)
The Station, Carrboro

Stag is the career-spanning ensemble put together by Michael Rank (Snatches
of Pink). Calico Haunts' second album, "North Circle," is every bit the
equal of their first, and continues in their trademark 19th Century +
Leonard Cohen + Crazy Horse direction.

Thursday, January 19
Holygrailers (http://www.myspace.com/holydub)
Pressed And (http://crashsymbols.bandcamp.com/album/imbue-up)
C Powers
Featureless Ghost
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, January 19
River City Ransom (http://www.myspace.com/rivercityransomband)
Vannevar
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 19
Spaghetti Western (http://www.myspace.com/theleonardcohencoverband)
Chapel Hill Underground, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 19
Mutant Supremacy
Atrophix
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Friday, January 20
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Gerrard Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill

This is part of UNC's Process Series -- artists performing in-progress
works and then participating in a Q&A with the audience that is meant to
both illuminate their creative process, and provide them some early
feedback on the work.

Django Haskins is the leader of the local band The Old Ceremony, as well as
a writer. His in-progress piece is called "Painting the Town: A Rock ’n’
Roll Life & the Souls of Four Great American Cities."

There are shows on both Friday & Saturday nights, both at 8:00 p.m., and I
believe they're free.

Friday, January 20
Cass McCombs (http://www.monitorrecords.com/CASS/cass.html)
Frank Fairfield
Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw

Frank Fairfield is probably the most stubbornly "old-timey" old-time
musician currently working, which made it really funny to repeatedly cross
his path at various Hopscotch venues last fall, him with his slicked-back
hair & collar buttoned, everybody else in jeans & t-shirts.

Friday, January 20
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
The Mason's Apron
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is part of a 2-day "Local Radio Benefit Weekend" for WCOM and WXYC.

Friday, January 20
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Penny Prophets (http://www.myspace.com/randywhitt)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Kenny Roby recently launched a Kickstarter project to fund production of
his upcoming album; it was fully funded within the first 24 hours. You can
read more about that in the
Indy<http://www.indyweek.com/scan/archives/2012/01/12/kenny-roby-lands-kickstarter-success-in-less-than-a-day#more>
.

Friday, January 20
Josh Moore (http://www.myspace.com/joshuamoore)
Wesley Wolfe
J Kutchma & the 5/5ths (http://jkutchma.com/?page_id=2)
The Casbah, Durham

J Kutchma is the charismatic singer/songwriter who fronts Red Collar. When
that band went on lo-power sleep mode after guitarist Mike Jackson moved a
few hours west, J started playing a lot of solo shows. Eventually he'd
worked up enough "not Red Collar" songs that the next logical step was to
put together a band to record & play them live. Those are the 5 Fifths.

Friday, January 20
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

At the moment the Nightlight website says "+ more tba" which is presumably
because it's hard to find other bands crazy and/or alcoholic enough to want
to share a bill with the astonishing Last Year's Men.

UPDATE! Of course, who else but Hammer No More the Fingers to step up to
the Last Year's Men challenge?

Friday, January 20
Reduced to Ruin
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 20
Brand New Life (http://www.myspace.com/thebrandnewlife)
The Black Experience
The Pinhook, Durham

Friday, January 20
The Big Picture (http://www.facebook.com/pa
​ges/The-Big-Picture/369620​314091)
Netherfriends (http://www.myspace.com/netherfriends)
DJ Yu
White Collar Crime, Raleigh

Another free show from the fine folks at DiggUp Tapes.

Friday, January 20
Young And In the Way (http://youngandintheway.bandcamp.com/)
Old Painless (http://www.reverbnation.com/oldpainless)
DIVEbar, Raleigh

A couple of bracing younger crust/grind bands, Old Painless from Raleigh &
Young and in the Way from Charlotte.

Saturday, January 21
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (
http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
Lizzy Ross (http://www.reverbnation.com/lizzyross)
Wylie Hunter & the Cazadores
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the second night of the "Local Radio Benefit Weekend" to benefit
WCOM and WXYC.

Saturday, January 21
Sally Spring (http://www.sallyspring.com/)
Jonathan Byrd (http://www.jonathanbyrd.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Saturday, January 21
Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
Widow
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Leadfoot are the southern hardrock/boogie band that emerged after COC
exited its own southern hardrock/boogie period. Widow are a kind of amazing
mid-80s-style metal band from Raleigh -- when I listen to them I hear bits
& pieces of NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden, sure, but also/more specifically
I hear hints of George Lynch's guitar work in Dokken, and Jake E Lee era
Ozzy. All the stuff my friends & I were into right before the bomb called
Metallica went off in our lives.

Saturday, January 21
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
Pros & Cons
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 22
The Dear Hunter (http://www.thedearhunter.com/)
Anthony Green (http://anthonygreenschildren.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, January 22
Erick Baker
Callaghan (http://www.callaghansongs.com/home.cfm)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, January 23
Anna Rose Beck
Dare Dukes & the Blackstock Collection (http://daredukes.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

I dunno about y'all, but when I see the phrase "The Blackstock Collection,"
all I can think about is the world's largest collection of "Wichita
Lineman" covers. Somebody let me know if that's in fact what this show
consists of.

Tuesday, January 24
Where's the Band (http://www.myspace.com/wheresthebandtour)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Recession-style package tour: One dude from each of the following bands:

Ace Enders (The Early November), Anthony Raneri (Bayside), Chris Conley
(Saves the Day), Evan Weiss (Into It. Over It.), Matt Pryor (The Get Up
Kids)

Tuesday, January 24
Boom City (http://www.facebook.com/BoomCityUSA)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 25
The Bamfs (http://www.facebook.com/thebamfs)
The Fooligans (http://www.myspace.com/thetruefooligans)
B-Side Project (http://www.facebook.com/bsideproject)
Johnny Staxx & the Dirty Boyz (http://www.reverbnation.com/johnnystaxx)
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, January 25
Nicolay
The Hot at Nights
Pour House, Raleigh

Wednesday, January 25
Sinful Savage Tigers (http://www.myspace.com/sinfulsavagetigers)
Prison Book Club
Jeff Stickley
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, January 26
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Brainbows (http://brainbows.bandcamp.com/)
Paint Fumes (http://www.myspace.com/paintfumesnc)
Snake
Flesh Wounds
La Salamandra, Durham

This is a benefit for Letha Melchior Rodman, a local musician & artist who
is grappling with cancer and struggling to stay afloat financially, despite
having some basic form of health insurance (you know, the kind that most
independent artists can afford, with high premiums and minimal coverage).

You can learn more about that here <http://melchiorfund.blogspot.com/>. Or
you can just go to the show & check out a handful of the most genius bands
around, including three of my current live faves: Spider Bags, Flesh Wounds
& Brainbows. Show starts at 9:30.

Thursday, January 26
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Mark Holland
The Station, Carrboro

Thursday, January 26
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Onward Soldiers (http://www.myspace.com/onwardsoldiers)
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, January 26
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (
http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Maldora
Prison Book Club
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, January 26
Big Daddy Love (http://www.bigdaddylove.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, January 26
Chris McFarland
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 18, 2012, Ross Grady, 01/17/2012