ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events Tonight, Tomorrow and Saturday at I-Books!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events Tonight, Tomorrow and Saturday at I-Books!
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:43:10 -0500

Friends, sorry about that last email. There was a bad picture in it
and it made the body of the email unviewable :(

THIS WEEK

CROATAN
EARTH FIRST! MOVIE NIGHT. TONIGHT! _THU DEC 15 7PM_

Come out to
Internationalist for a compelling documentary about fighting against the
destruction of the environment, brought to you by Croatan Earth First!
This week we will be screening "Just Do It!"

This film covers the UK
Climate Camp which is a consensus organized, radical environmental group
that takes part in direct action against corporations and energy
companies. It also covers their experiences attending the Copenhagen UN
Climate Conference or the COP15.

Watch the trailer here:
http://justdoitfilm.com/ [1]

DISCUSSION ON PROTEST STATE/SQUATTER
COMMUNITY IN FRANCE. _FRI DEC 16 7PM_

The Zad is 4,600 acres of
squatted farmhouses, forests and fields in northwest France. It was
occupied to block construction of a megalomaniac project, resisted for
the past 40 years by local farmers and residents. The project consists
of a "high quality environmental airport", a high speed train, 4 lane
highway, and tram line, across some of the last green space in the
region. Despite increasing police and military repression, the "zadists"
use direct action to block the construction works, and target the
contractor- the multinational VINCI. They also strive to be autonomous,
with a squatted farm, radical library, collective fields, bakery, and
goat dairy, among other projects.

There will be a presentation of
history and context, followed by a discussion of organizing with locals
on singular issues, in relation to global anticapitalist/
antiauthoritarian struggle.

INTERNATIONAL DAY TO END VIOLENCE AGAINST
SEX WORKERS-SPECIAL GUEST JILL BRENNEMAN_ SAT DEC 17 5PM_

A discussion
with special guest Jill Brenneman- child sex-trafficking survivor (and
later, consenting adult sex worker), sexual assault crisis counselor, &
advocate for harm reduction & sex work decriminalization with Sex
Workers Without Borders

$5+ suggested donation, but no one will be
turned away due to lack of funds!!

Refreshments will be provided.

http://sexworkerswithoutborders.org/ [2]

Full-page flyer here-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-owh_aRRO92I/TuJJskxY2QI/AAAAAAAAAIc/0hrtvMys8Ak/s1600/umbrella-2_vectorized.jpg
[3]

NEXT WEEK!

DISCUSSION GROUP: DEEP GREEN RESISTANCE (PART 4).
_TUE DEC 20 7PM_

_Join fellow eco-warriors as they discuss the next
section of the book "Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the
Planet". We will be discussing Part 3 "The Future", chapter 15._

For
years, Derrick Jensen has asked his audiences, "Do you think this
culture will undergo a voluntary transformation to a sane and
sustainable way of life?" No one ever says yes. Deep Green Resistance
starts where the environmental movement leaves off: industrial
civilization is incompatible with life. Technology can't fix it, and
shopping--no matter how green--won't stop it. To save this planet, we
need a serious resistance movement that can bring down the industrial
economy. Deep Green Resistance evaluates strategic options for
resistance, from nonviolence to guerrilla warfare, and the conditions
required for those options to be successful. It provides an exploration
of organizational structures, recruitment, security, and target
selection for both aboveground and underground action. Deep Green
Resistance also discusses a culture of resistance and the crucial
support role that it can play.

TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP _WED DEC 21 8PM_

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North Carolina Harm Reduction
Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a bi-monthly support/discussion
group for people who identify as trans, genderqueer, or
gender-questioning. Our meetings will provide a safe space for folks to
share and process experiences, be of support to one another, and
organize around issues that affect the trans community.

Open to anyone
who needs/wants trans support.

Tea and snacks will be provided!

BEYOND!

JANUARY REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET _SAT JAN 7 2PM_

Mysterious Rabbit Puppet Army Winter Tour Homecoming Show: What are
Prisons For? Sat Jan 7 7pm

"ANTI-CAPITALIST MOVEMENTS IN JAPAN AFTER
THE FUKUSHIMA DISASTER" _THU JAN 12 7PM_

MOVIE NIGHT WITH THE SPECTRUM
DOULA COLLECTIVE "JANE" _FRI JAN 13 7PM_

SHOW! INKYSKULLS W/ THE HISSY
FITS _TUE JAN 16 8PM_

JANUARY POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER WRITING NIGHT
_WED JAN 18 7PM_

CROATAN EARTH FIRST! MOVIE NIGHT _THU JAN 19 7PM_

Thank you so much for your continued support! We hope to see you at
some of our upcoming events!

Links:
------
[1]
http://justdoitfilm.com/
[2] http://sexworkerswithoutborders.org/
[3]
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-owh_aRRO92I/TuJJskxY2QI/AAAAAAAAAIc/0hrtvMys8Ak/s1600/umbrella-2_vectorized.jpg
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: