ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of December 15, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of December 15, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:29:39 -0500

Thursday, December 15
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
The Small Ponds
The Casbah, Durham

This is a seated show, and it begins at 8:00 p.m. (doors at 7:00 p.m.)

Thursday, December 15
An Evening with the Trekky Records Collective (http://trekkyrecords.com)
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

It's not quite clear to me whether this is to replace the long-running
Trekky Christmas at the Cradle (though I assume it is, since there's
nothing on the Cradle schedule). In any case, this is a chance for various
Trekky artists and their friends (including members of Butterflies,
Embarrassing Fruits, Hammer No More The Fingers, Lost in the Trees,
Megafaun, Midtown Dickens, Mount Moriah, Vibrant Green) to get together &
sit in with each other.

Thursday, December 15
Gospel Music (http://gospelmusicfla.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

"Gospel Music" is the side project of the bassist from the Black Kids,
whose song "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You" was
unavoidable (and unavoidably awesome) for about 20 minutes a few years ago.

Of course, I don't even remember that song *having* a bassline, but
whatever.

Thursday, December 15
The Breaks (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebreaksofpittsboro)
The Station, Carrboro

Thursday, December 15
The Last Tall Boy
Temperance League (http://temperanceleague.bandcamp.com/)
Oulipo (http://oulipo.bandcamp.com)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, December 15
Rachael Yamagata (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/rachaelyamagata)
Mike Viola (http://www.mikeviola.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 15
Woods (http://www.myspace.com/woodsfamilyband)
Phil Cook and his Feat (http://philcookandhisfeat.bandcamp.com/)
Mmoss
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, December 16
Born Hollow
No Power
Narratives
Mad Dog
Six Forks Pub, Raleigh

This is another in a recent series of all-ages hardcore shows booked by
Ian/Vile Discourse into a smallish sports-bar/neighborhood rock-n-roll pub
in North Raleigh. Which is actually exactly the right place for an all-ages
hardcore show, historically speaking.

This show starts promptly at 8:00 p.m. They actually seem to manage to keep
things more-or-less on-time at these shows, so be forewarned.

Friday, December 16
The Bastages (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebastages)
The Bamfs (http://www.facebook.com/thebamfs)
Almost People (http://www.facebook.com/almostpeople?sk=info)
B-Side Project (http://www.facebook.com/bsideproject)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the Bull City Punk Rock X-Mas, or so says the BSC's website. The
Bastages have added a suitably hyperactive frontman who has boosted their
already-spastic oldschool punk up another 8-10 notches.

Friday, December 16
Mandolin Orange (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinorange)
Phil Cook and his Feat (http://philcookandhisfeat.bandcamp.com/)
Stickley Brothers (http://www.jonstickley.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, December 16
The Connells (http://www.theconnells.com/)
The Veldt
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, December 16
Organos (http://organosmusic.blogspot.com)
The Big Picture (http://www.facebook.com/pa
​ges/The-Big-Picture/369620​314091)
Boykiller (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boykiller/298192606861242)
White Collar Crime, Raleigh

Boykiller just totally blew the pants off the place with their debut
performance at Nightlight last weekend. RIYL 90s K-style low-fi pop with a
dirty mind, a drumkit, a keyboard & a ukelele.

Friday, December 16
The Eno Mountain Boys (http://www.myspace.com/theenomountainboys)
Todd Warner (http://www.reverbnation.com/themercators)
Reduced to Ruin
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Friday, December 16
I Was Totally Destroying It (
http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
Jessica Long (http://www.reverbnation.com/jessicalong)
The Casbah, Durham

This is another in that series of shows wherein I Was Totally Destroying It
plays one of their albums in its entirety. They're up to "Horror Vacui."

Friday, December 16
Broadcast (http://www.billions.com/broadcast/)
Jeremy Gilchrist
Lizzy Ross (http://www.reverbnation.com/lizzyross)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 16
Jucifer (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/6452/)
Casualty (http://www.myspace.com/casualtyrocks)
Greevace
Shryock
Caligula
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Friday, December 16
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Slim's, Raleigh

Saturday, December 17
The Small Ponds
Phil Cook and his Feat (http://philcookandhisfeat.bandcamp.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is actually the Rock & Shop, which comes complete with live musical
accompaniment, but which starts at noon and incorporates shopping for, um,
stuff. Doodads. Giftlike doodads.

Saturday, December 17
Justin Robinson & the Mary Annettes
The Mason's Apron
Tractor Beam
Charly Lowry
Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw

This is a fundraiser to help the folks behind the Shakori Hills Festival to
raise enough money to buy the land where the festival is held.

Saturday, December 17
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Southern Culture on the Skids are the hardest-working band in North
Carolina, and though their latest release, Zombified, was actually a
reissue of a hard-to-find import LP from 1998, it's so damn great that they
still deserve some kind of recognition.

Saturday, December 17
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
Shirlette (http://www.stumphole.com)
Kings, Raleigh

This is the New Raleigh Christmas Party (which is open to all, naturally).

Saturday, December 17
Sea Cow
The Stars Explode (http://www.myspace.com/thestarsexplode)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, December 17
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Supreme Fiction (http://www.myspace.com/supremefiction)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an "anniversary" show for snmnmnm. Of their formation? Their
demise? Their first show? Their last show? Their induction into the
Tuba-rock Hall of Fame?

Saturday, December 17
P-90s
Slawterhaus 5
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 17
Chris Hendricks Band (http://www.myspace.com/chendricksmusic)
Mirror 7 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mirror-7/299637106728611)
The Casbah, Durham

Saturday, December 17
The Bleeding Hearts
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
Slim's, Raleigh

Sunday, December 18
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Atrophix
Bukkake Boys
Manic
Kings, Raleigh

This is another all-ages hardcore show in the mid-evening timeframe
(7:30-8-ish). Love it.

Sunday, December 18
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw

Sunday, December 18
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, December 20
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Henbrain
Holiday Parking
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Le Weekend are a bracingly confusing band, in all aspects of their
existence, except for the actuality of their existence, which is both
irrefutable and undeniable. All else is open to debate. Is it pop? Did he
really just sing what I thought he just sang?

Tuesday, December 20
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is it, the annual Evil Weiner Christmas Party, which has been
occurring since long before the Baby Jesus was born. Will Groves remember
his lines? Will Chuck show up at all?

Tuesday, December 20
Screaming Crayons (http://www.myspace.com/screamingcrayonsnc)
Coastal Vision
Morning Brigade
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, December 21
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Phatlynx
Junko & Fujiyama (http://www.reverbnation.com/junkomusic)
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, December 21
The Bamfs (http://www.facebook.com/thebamfs)
The Fooligans (http://www.myspace.com/thetruefooligans)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 21
919Noise Showcase (http://www.myspace.com/919noise)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 22
Jo Gore & the Alternative
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, December 22
No Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband)
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, December 22
Harvey Dalton Arnold Blues Band (http://www.harveydaltonarnold.com/)
Crossover Drive (http://www.crossoverdrive.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, December 22
River City Ransom (http://www.myspace.com/rivercityransomband)
Dark Water Rising (http://www.reverbnation.com/darkwaterrising)
King's English
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, December 22
The Magnolia Collective
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is the Nightlight's holiday party, so that means free food & more than
likely some drop-in performances by other folks.

Thursday, December 22
Scarlet Virginia (http://www.reverbnation.com/scarletvirgini)
Couches on Curbs
Ashley Hopkins
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of December 15, 2011, Ross Grady, 12/14/2011