ch-scene - Stuff to Do, week of September 22, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, week of September 22, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:52:49 -0400

Thursday, September 22
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is a benefit for two Durhamites, Janeen Gingrich and Seth Stephens,
whose home and possessions were destroyed on September 3rd during a house
fire.
The benefit will feature:
Mosadi Music
DJ Passionfruit
DJ Turbanator

Thursday, September 22
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Perry Wright
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Perry Wright, formerly known as the Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby
Sellers, has been enduring a long & painful bout of writer's block. Unclear
whether the block has eased, but at least he's willing/able to play some
shows. With the mighty Megafaun, whose new album is pre-release streaming on
the Rolling Stone website, even.

Thursday, September 22
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Dave Wilson (http://www.myspace.com/davewilson1974)
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (
http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, September 22
Matt Pond PA (http://www.mattpondpa.com/)
Rocky Votolato
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, September 22
Crowmeat Bob
Rumpelstiltskin
RoRo Drums (http://soundcloud.com/rorodrums)
Ti Femme (http://www.last.fm/music/Ti+femme)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

"Experimental Jazz Night with Dutch artists..." plus Crowmeat Bob.

Thursday, September 22
Humble Tripe (http://www.humbletripe.com/)
Ember Swift (http://www.emberswift.com)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, September 22
Jack the Radio (http://www.purevolume.com/jacktheradio)
The Ethnographers (http://www.myspace.com/theethnographers)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Friday, September 23
Joan Soriano (http://www.iasorecords.com/JoanSoriano.cfm)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is the kickoff show of the 2011-2012 Duke Performances series. Joan
Soriano is from the Dominican Republic & is known as the "Duke of Bachata."

His label says "Bachata is essential to Dominican culture and draws upon a
variety of influences from Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean.
A practitioner of palo and gaga, Joan blends Afro-Dominican sacred
traditions with bachata, imparting his music with down to earth spirit and
dance-ability. Joan preserves bachata’s roots and expands on them. He is a
rare combination of new and authentic."

Friday, September 23
100 Yorktown (http://www.geocities.com/onehundredyorktown/)
The Veldt
Your 33 Black Angels
Southland Ballroom, Raleigh

Friday, September 23
Screaming Crayons (http://www.myspace.com/screamingcrayonsnc)
Gabriel Reynolds
Stretch and the Funk (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stretch-and-the-Funk/15676870558)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 23
The Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/theantlers)
Yellow Ostrich
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, September 23
Zlam Dunk (http://www.myspace.com/zlamband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 24
Wigg Report (http://www.reverbnation.com/thewiggreport)
Effingham
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is an afternoon show, the first of two shows today celebrating the 1st
anniversary of the MotorCo Music Hall.

Saturday, September 24
The Butchies (http://www.thebutchies.com/)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a big party for Gay Pride. The Butchies reform about once every few
years, so you probably haven't seen them in ages, if at all.

Saturday, September 24
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Mandolin Orange (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinorange)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Mandolin Orange & The Tender Fruit are both male/female "folk" duos, but
neither comes straight out of any single "folk" tradition, and neither is
particularly interested in appeasing straight "folk" audiences.

Saturday, September 24
Cracker (http://www.pitchatent.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Almost People (http://www.facebook.com/almostpeople?sk=info)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is the second of two shows today celebrating the 1st anniversary of the
MotorCo Music Hall.

Saturday, September 24
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
Ty Segall
Mikal Cronin (http://www.myspace.com/mikalcroninmusic)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The Duke Coffeehouse kicks off the fall semester with a bang with this show
featuring garage-pop wunderkind Ty Segall, as well as Mikal Cronin & our own
local drunken ne'er-do-wells Last Year's Men.

Saturday, September 24
Chip Robinson
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Mic Harrison & The High Score
The Small Ponds
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a wedding party but it's open to everyone, and it's a who's-who of
Raleigh's roots-rock scene of the past 15 years.

Saturday, September 24
The Music Tapes (http://www.orbitinghumancircus.org/)
Olivia Tremor Control (http://www.oliviatremorcontrol.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Saturday, September 24
Systems (http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc)
Sons of Tonatiuh (http://www.myspace.com/sonsoftonatiuh)
Whores
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

You can listen to & download the new Systems album
here<http://systemsnc.bandcamp.com/>.
It's epic & heavy & emotional & cathartic.

Saturday, September 24
Keegan DeWitt (http://www.keegandewitt.com/)
Madi Diaz (http://www.madidiaz.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 25
Carrboro Music Festival (http://carrboromusicfestival.com/)
everywhere, Carrboro

It's time again for the Carrboro Music
Festival<http://carrboromusicfestival.com/>.
If you like the kind of music I like, you'll probably want to focus your
attention on the following venues:

Cat's Cradle (Thee Dirtybeats, Lud, Killer Filler)
Jessee's (Fan Modine, Brett Harris, Lynn Blakey)
Milltown (Zeke Graves, the Tender Fruit, Kingsbury Manx, The Moaners, In the
Year of the Pig)
Carrboroland (SOC Rovers, Le Weekend, Lilac Shadows, Free Electric State,
MAKE)

There are at least a dozen other good local bands scattered in amongst the
100+ whom I've never heard of, so wander at will, or park yourself on the
block that houses the venues listed above & you'll be more than happy.

Sunday, September 25
USA Baby
Yohimbe (http://www.myspace.com/partywithyohimbe)
Rumpelstiltskin
Paint Fumes (http://www.myspace.com/paintfumesnc)
HITHRDAXODES
All Day Records, Carrboro

This is a 1st Birthday Party for All Day Records, held conveniently on the
same day as the Carrboro Music Festival. Here's a lineup:

7pm - Rumpelstiltskin
6pm - USA Baby
5pm - Yohimbe
4pm - Paint Fumes
3pm - HITHRDAXODES

Sunday, September 25
The Morning After Girls (http://www.myspace.com/themorningaftergirls)
The Ill Family (http://www.myspace.com/theillfamily)
Black Box Revelation (http://www.blackboxrevelation.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 25
Pokey LaFarge and The South City Three
The Dirt Daubers (http://www.myspace.com/dirtdaubers)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Sunday, September 25
Scott Biram (http://www.scottbiram.com/)
Reese McHenry
The Casbah, Durham

Reese McHenry also fronts the great loud heavy blues/rock band the Dirty
Little Heaters.

Sunday, September 25
The Oak City Six (http://www.myspace.com/oakcitysix)
Snake Baptist
Sucked Dry
Born Hollow
Kings, Raleigh

Monday, September 26
LOFT (http://soundcloud.com/alterbreak/sets/loft)
Kings, Raleigh

So yeah, there's a running internet gag about a show flyer for a band
featuring Widespread Panic's Guitar Tech, so maybe I just shouldn't even
mention that the guy in LOFT is Wilco's drum tech.

He's also a builder/collector of homebrew modular synths, and that's what
LOFT is all about. It's a free show, too, so you've got very little to lose.

Monday, September 26
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Whatever Brains (http://whateverbrains.bandcamp.com/)
Human Eye (http://www.intheredrecords.com/pages/humaneye.html)
The Pinhook, Durham

Yes, I'm going to bowl as fast as I fucking can tonight, so I can make it to
as much of this show as I possibly can, even though I'm also going to Fucked
Up & Wavves on Tuesday. It's Rocktember!

Monday, September 26
Cymbals Eat Guitars (http://www.myspace.com/cymbalseatguitars)
Hooray for Earth (http://hoorayforearth.net/)
Lyonnais (http://www.myspace.com/teamlyonnais)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 27
Wavves (http://www.myspace.com/wavves)
Fucked Up (http://www.myspace.com/epicsinminutes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Fucked Up are a huge sweeping crashing Canadian rockband who started as a
"hardcore" band somewhere back in time, but have long since morphed into
something more akin to a tsunami. Waves of guitars & a 300-lb frontman named
Pink Eyes hugging everyone in the crowd between his gruff barked verses.

Tuesday, September 27
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Debonzo Brothers
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, September 27
The Beast
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 28
D-Town Brass
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

D-Town Brass's performance will be preceded by a screening of Emir
Kusturica’s Time of the Gypsies, featuring a score by Duke Performances
artist Goran Bregovich. The movie starts at 7:00 and the music begins
sometime after.

Wednesday, September 28
The Joy Formidable (http://www.myspace.com/thejoyformidable)
Fang Island (http://fangisland.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, September 28
Jenny Owen Youngs (http://www.myspace.com/jennyowenyoungs)
Hank and Cupcakes (http://www.myspace.com/hankandcupcakes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 28
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Harvey-Sue (http://livinontheedgerton.com/)
Old Calf (http://www.myoldkentuckyblog.com/?p=19850)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Harvey-Sue is the solo side-project of the awesome singer/songwriter
Catherine Edgerton, best-known for her work in Midtown Dickens. This is the
record release party for Harvey-Sue's debut.

Thursday, September 29
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
N.E.D. (http://nedtheband.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, September 29
Delta Rae (http://www.myspace.com/theholljesbrothers)
Dark Water Rising (http://www.reverbnation.com/darkwaterrising)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, September 29
The Invisible Hand (http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith)
Naked Gods (http://www.nakedgods.com/)
T0W3RS (http://t0w3rs.bandcamp.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

This is a release party for the new T0W3RS EP. They're my favorite new band
of 2011, so I have super-high hopes for the EP.

Thursday, September 29
Supreme Fiction (http://www.myspace.com/supremefiction)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 29
Ghost Hand
Ani Stark (http://www.reverbnation.com/anistark)
Seal/Mother (http://sealmother.bandcamp.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, week of September 22, 2011, Ross Grady, 09/21/2011