ch-scene - Re: Look, amc-h. You don't care for me, and I don't care for you. But...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: evankrowe <evankrowe AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Look, amc-h. You don't care for me, and I don't care for you. But...
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:36:38 -0400

Same thing happened here. Didn't seem mean-spirited at all. Unfortunate
timing on the server's part, but I had the same thought, which I think is
justified: "Fuck all y'all! Hey, would you like to help pay for my record?"

I actually assumed at first that the Kickstarter email was from a long time
ago, too. Upon seeing that it was new, my first thought was "Really? People
are still trying to fund plain old band releases with Kickstarter? What year
is it?"

Your band wants to put out a record and (maybe) sell it? You pay to make the
record. Then you (maybe) sell it. It's not particularly complicated.

It's worked that way for a long time, because things like recording gear,
rent/mortgage of a facility, tape and/or hard drives, engineers' time and
talent, packaging, and replication of the final format cost money. If you
need to reach a tipping point reliant on others' interest and willingness to
pay to fund the record, I think you might not really need to do the record.

This is not to say that an artist hoping to use this model's songs are bad,
or that the world might not be a better place with them recorded and
available; only that the need does not seem to exist in that artist to make
that record by whatever means is necessary. Most folks who've funded a
record themselves have taken a financial hit, and that's because they felt
they had to record those songs, against any financial advisor's reasonable
assessment of a cost/benefit ratio.

Means to circumvent this simple model and shift the burden of financial
outlay in either time or mechanism have existed for a long while. They're
called record labels. It hasn't historically worked out well for the artists
(there are OF COURSE exceptions to this, but the artist almost always in some
fashion has to pay for the production of the record), because generally
musicians aren't that great at financial rearrangements, especially with
regard to something as personal and emotionally charged as making a record.

Long story short (yeah, too late, I know): pay for your record. Then it's
yours, and you can do whatever the fuck you want with it: give it away, sell
it for $30, store hundreds of them in your house. Which is how it should be.

NB: This logic does not necessarily apply to any record other than "Release
X," by Band Y. e.g. Benefit records, compilations, holiday/national
tragedy/animal welfare-type things.

I am very excited about the 506 Auxes show at the end of July!