ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books! Week of April 4-10

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books! Week of April 4-10
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:00:48 -0000

EVENTS THIS WEEK

LIVE MUSIC: Lost Trail and More States (ambient), Mon. April 4 @ 7pm

Local ambient/minimalist group, Lost Trail, will be playing a set at
Internationalist in the evening (7pm). They will

"Lost Trail is the minimalist/classical/ambient project of Hillsborough, NC's
Zachary Corsa, consisting mainly of simple experiments in piano, guitar,
found sound, samples, and other instruments. The aim of this project is to
reflect our mysterious modern surroundings, be they man-made or natural, in
the form of composition.
'...cinematic ambient'n'piano music...in the vein of Budd and Eno as well as
tons of millennial drama/horror films, Lost Trail is not to be missed.' "

Lost Trail's facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lost-Trail/163277310377368

About the opener:
More States (www.myspace.com/pdwilder):
"texas drone guitarist. minimal and ambient guitar washes create a spooky and
ominous vibe. a few whispered vocals. fans of loren mazzacane connors will
enjoy this. nice. recommended."TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP, Wed. April 6 @ 8pm

Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North Carolina Harm Reduction
Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a bi-monthly support/discussion
group for people who identify as trans, genderqueer, or gender-questioning.
Our meetings will provide a safe space for folks to share and process
experiences, be of support to one another, and organize around issues that
affect the trans community.

Open to anyone who needs/wants trans support.

Tea and snacks will be provided!QUEER MOVIE NIGHT: "Short Bus," Thurs April 7
@ 7pm

Join us for our April Queer Movie Night! We will be watching Shortbus.

Shortbus is a 2006 comedy-drama film written and directed by John Cameron
Mitchell. The plot revolves around a sexually diverse ensemble of emotionally
challenged characters trying desperately to connect in New York City. The
characters converge in a weekly Brooklyn artistic/sexual salon loosely
inspired by various underground NYC gatherings that took place in the early
2000s. According to Mitchell, the film attempts to "employ sex in new
cinematic ways", and it includes a variety of explicit scenes of
sexuality.SPECIAL EVENT! MOVIE SCREENING: "END:CIV" with director Frank
Lopez, Fri April 8 @ 8:00 pm. $6

END:CIV examines our culture?s addiction to systematic violence and
environmental exploitation, and probes the resulting epidemic of poisoned
landscapes and shell-shocked nations. Based in part on Endgame, the
best-selling book by Derrick Jensen, END:CIV asks: ?If your homeland was
invaded by aliens who cut down the forests, poisoned the water and air, and
contaminated the food supply, would you resist?? By documenting the
resilience of the people hit hardest by war and repression, and the heroism
of those coming forward to confront the crisis head-on, END:CIV illuminates a
way out of this all-consuming madness and into a saner future.

OTHER APRIL EVENTS

CRAFT NIGHT: Tue April 12 @ 7pm

APRIL POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER WRITING NIGHT: Wed April 13 @ 7pm

MEMBER PICK MOVIE NIGHT: "The Chicago Conspiracy," Thurs April 14 @ 7pm

AUTHOR READING: "Gypsy Sexuality: Romani and Outsider Perspectives on
Intimacy," Fri April 15 @ 7pm

APRIL BOARD GAME NIGHT: Mon April 18 @ 7pm

TRANS DISCUSSION GROUP: Wed April 20 @ 8pm

MEMBER PICK MOVIE NIGHT: "The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory
and Practice," Thu April 21 @ 7pm

FLOC PRESENTATION: Tues April 26 @ 7pm

AUTHOR READING, JIMMY CREECH: "Adam's Gift: A Memoir of a Pastor's Calling to
Defy the Church's Persecution of Lesbians and Gays," Wed April 27 @ 7pm

EARTH FIRST! MOVIE NIGHT: "What a Way to Go!" Thu April 28 @ 7pm

/FOR MORE EVENTS IN APRIL, CHECK OUT WWW.INTERNATIONALISTBOOKS.ORG!/

That's all for now!

<A3
INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS AND COMMUNITY CENTER---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: