ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 8, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 8, 2011
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:17:33 -0500

OK, this is way too many shows for any 8-day period. SXSW plz get over with, plz. Thx!

Tuesday, March 8
The Invisible Hand (http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Naked Gods (http://www.myspace.com/nakedgods)
Milagres
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The upcoming Americans in France album keeps finding its way back onto the stereo here; it has some of the whacked-out funny/ominous feel of Evol/Sister-era Sonic Youth, and there's not much higher praise available in my lexicon.

Tuesday, March 8
Dum Dum Girls (http://www.myspace.com/dumdumgirls)
Reading Rainbow (http://www.myspace.com/levarmotherfuckingburton)
Dirty Beaches (http://www.myspace.com/dirtybeaches)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 8
New Euphemisms
John Brodeur
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Wednesday, March 9
Doom Bunny
The Demon Beat
Dirty Slang
Tickle Switch
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Wednesday, March 9
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
X-Ray Eyeballs (http://kaninerecords.com/xray-eyeballs)
The Pinhook, Durham

There are at least 8 shows tonight in the Triangle, which is about 4 too many for a Wednesday night, particularly given that many of the bands are hardly household names.

Lucky for you, you really only need to pay attention to ONE of 'em, and it's this one. Last Year's Men & Spider Bags are perennially neck-and-neck when it comes to the question of who's the badassest garage-rock outfit in the Triangle. A year ago it would've been Spider Bags hands-down, but then they made the mistake of taking three young lads from Chapel Hill under their wings, showed them the ropes, and now they're locked in a death-battle for dominance of any stage where the PBR is served in 16-oz tallboys.

Wednesday, March 9
Trashcan Sinatras (http://www.trashcansinatras.com/)
Tim Carless
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 9
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Ill Family (http://www.myspace.com/theillfamily)
High Points
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I'm told (by Nightlight) that High Points are a Filthybird spinoff/side project.

Wednesday, March 9
Fujiyama Roll (http://www.myspace.com/fujiyamaroll)
Barron (http://www.myspace.com/barronnc)
The Bamfs
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, March 9
Astronautalis (http://www.myspace.com/astronautalis)
Sims
Mr. Invisible
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, March 9
The Small Ponds
My Cousin the Emperor
Pour House, Raleigh

Wednesday, March 9
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, March 10
Animal Alphabet
Katharine Whalen and Her Fascinators (http://www.myspace.com/katharinewhalen)
Billy Sugarfix's Carousel (http://www.reverbnation.com/billysugarfix)
The Casbah, Durham

I saw Katharine Whalen open for the Carolina Chocolate Drops, accompanied by William Dawson of the Alcazar Hotel, and it was really wonderful.

Thursday, March 10
Scarlet Virginia (http://www.reverbnation.com/scarletvirgini)
Louder Moonlight
Plume Giant (http://www.plumegiant.com/)
Of Whiskey and Blood (http://www.reverbnation.com/ofwhiskeyandblood)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Thursday, March 10
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Pygmy Lush (http://www.myspace.com/pygmylush)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

There's a new des_ark album -- like really, like I've heard it, and seen video of other human beings actually holding copies of it in literal three-dimensional space. They're touring as a three-piece for most of this tour, but as it turns out this week Noah Howard has to miss some shows due to family illness, so it'll be Aimee and drummer-for-this-tour Johnny Ward, who has a great arms-akimbo hard-hitting style. No matter. One thing you know if you know des_ark is that something mystical is gonna happen as long as you've got the sense to shut up & listen for it.

Thursday, March 10
Cults (http://cults.bandcamp.com/)
Small Black (http://www.myspace.com/smallblacksounds)
Sun Airway (http://www.myspace.com/sunairway)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Can you still be a buzz band if you're signed to Sony?

Thursday, March 10
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Local Bands, Local Beers. I think they're focusing on a single local brewery per week nowadays, and I think this week it's Aviator, but I could be wrong.

Thursday, March 10
Antibubbles
Little Gold (http://www.myspace.com/littlegoldsongs)
Heaven's Jail
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, March 10
Feast Upon Thy Brother (http://www.myspace.com/feastuponthybrother)
Squall (http://www.myspace.com/squallband666)
Earthling
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Thursday, March 10
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Motel Motel (http://www.myspace.com/motelmotel)
Dinosaur Feathers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, March 11
Harvey Milk (http://www.myspace.com/harveymilk)
Systems
Dark Sea Dream
The Casbah, Durham

Harvey Milk are one of my favorite bands of all time, heavy-as-shit division. They're from Athens and have precious little in common with a lot of bands who might spring to mind from that town. But then they have precious little in common with most other bands on Earth. They can play a sort of brutal boogie, or they can slow it down to glacial pace, but it's not the measured massive flowing slowness of a band like Earth; it's more a lurching tectonic tense-and-release.

Friday, March 11
Yellow Fever (http://www.myspace.com/yellerfever)
Wild Flag (http://www.myspace.com/wildflag)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is it, the Chapel Hill debut of Portland[ia] supergroup (and Merge recording artists) Wild Flag, featuring Mary Timony (Helium), Carrie Brownstein (Sleater-Kinney), Janet Weiss (S-K, Quasi) and Rebecca Cole (the Minders).

Friday, March 11
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Fan Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Wesley Wolfe
The Pinhook, Durham

Fan Tan are a bunch of folks who used to live here & then moved away. Sammies are from over near Charlotte somewhere, and they make this weird & kinda wonderful hybrid of classic rock & The Cure, or something. Wesley Wolfe writes the best bitter, biting self-deprecating popsongs in town.

Friday, March 11
Pontiak (http://www.myspace.com/pontiak)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
White Hills (http://www.myspace.com/whitehills)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This version of Horseback features Jenks on guitar & vox, longtime collaborator John Couch on drums, local recordist (and Monsonia bassist) Nick Peterson on bass, and HOG guitarist Richard James on guitar. At the Bull City Metal Fest they worked through a chunk of "The Invisible Mountain" that was every bit as epic as the album, but bigger, more fluid, more alive.

Friday, March 11
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Sharon Van Etten (http://www.myspace.com/sharonvanetten)
Ava Luna (http://www.myspace.com/avalunaband)
Kings, Raleigh

By virtue of multiple tours & close friendships with Triangle folks like Bowerbirds & Megafaun, Sharon Van Etten is practically an honorary Carolinian. Her 2010 LP, "Epic," packs quite a wallop for a record that's only 32 minutes long.

The Tender Fruit has fluctuated wildly in numbers & makeup, but at its core it's a showcase for the brilliant songwriting (and breathtaking voice) of Christy Smith.

Friday, March 11
The Toddlers (http://www.myspace.com/thetoddlersmusic)
Shithorse
Pussy Mountain
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 11
A Place to Bury Strangers (http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
Hooray for Earth (http://hoorayforearth.net/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Friday, March 11
Backwoods Payback (http://www.backwoodspayback.net/)
Lo-Pan
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 12
Matt Pond PA (http://www.mattpondpa.com/)
Rocky Votolato
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, March 12
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
Lower Dens
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wye Oak & Lower Dens are both from Baltimore; Wye Oak are on Merge & were, IMHO, one of the highlights of the label's 20th Anniversary festival 2 years ago.

Saturday, March 12
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 12
Natural Science
Tonk
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, March 12
4 on the Floor
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Jason Kutchma
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Saturday, March 12
Shithorse
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 12
Fan Modine (http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html)
Gross Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/grossghost)
Dom
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Gross Ghost have been ripping it up lately with a series of free EPs posted on Bandcamp. http://grossghost.bandcamp.com/

Fan Modine have been promising a new album for about 8 years now, but the fact that Gordon's played about 14 shows in the past 6 months might just mean the time is actually nigh.

Saturday, March 12
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
Township (http://www.myspace.com/thefamilytownship)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 13
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Hugenots came across as a Beatlesy pop act on their early demos, but onstage they were a looser, wilder thing. Now they tell me they've been in the studio with Mitch Easter, who knows his way around both Beatlesy pop and The Heavy Stuff. Can't wait to hear what they've come up with.

They'll strut their stuff live on-air for you at 4pm at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, March 13
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Telekinesis (http://www.myspace.com/telekinesismusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This show is sold out & has been for a while. Not sure why it isn't at the Cradle, other than maybe the whole Sunday night / spring break thing should've put a damper on attendance. Guess not, though.

Sunday, March 13
Antibubbles
Jenna & The Jintlemen
Brick Mower
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Monday, March 14
The Rural Alberta Advantage (http://www.myspace.com/theraa)
Pepper Rabbit (http://www.myspace.com/pepperrabbit)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 14
$tinkworxx
Mi Ami (http://www.myspace.com/miamiamiami)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 14
This Time It's War (http://www.facebook.com/thistimeitswar)
Mouth of the Ghost (http://www.reverbnation.com/mouthoftheghost)
Anubis Unbound
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, March 15
Plume Giant (http://www.plumegiant.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Tuesday, March 15
No Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

No Eyes are from Raleigh/Boone/Raleigh, and at least one of them is kin to Robert Kirkland of Arrogance. The demo they sent me sort of tightropes between straight college pop & something altogether darker, weirder & more psych. Check out Endless Sea for a good example of the latter. http://www.myspace.com/noeyesband/music/songs/Endless-Sea-79843927

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of March 8, 2011, Ross Grady, 03/08/2011