ch-scene - Sic Alps/ Magik Markers/ Americans in France Mon. 3/7 house show!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Sic Alps/ Magik Markers/ Americans in France Mon. 3/7 house show!
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:52:31 -0500

Hey y'all,

The next rock'n'roll show at the Layabout will take place this MONDAY, March
7th at 9pm. The house is at 2702 Lawndale Ave. in Durham. The show is
all-ages/$8 requested donation/BYOB.

Please note that we have TWO amazing touring bands and the requested
donation this time around is a value-packed $8! I'm gonna be marking hands
with an 'X' after you make yr donation, so please DON'T FORGET TO BRING
CASH/HIT AN ATM/DO WHAT YA GOTTA!! since i anticipate a pretty full house,
if we hit what i deem to be "capacity," any people without an 'X' will kindly
be asked to step outside, where they are free to hang out on my porch or my
backyard and drink, talk, whatever..

SIC ALPS (San Francisco) have been pretty prolific over the past few years,
releasing manymany badass and jam-packed LP's, EP's and 7"s on labels like
Drag City (home to their amazing new LP - 'Napa Asylum'), Slumberland,
Siltbreeze, Woodsist, etc. They've also done some touring with Pavement and
Sonic Youth amongst others. Ex-Coachwhips, ex-Henry's Dress, ex-Cat
Power...These guys have some true noise-pop pedigree, and they rarely tour
on our coast so don't miss out!! http://sicalps.com

MAGIK MARKERS (Hartford) also have a new-ish release on Drag City, and past
releases on Ecstatic Peace, Gulcher, Not Not Fun, etc. I've never seen them
before and I'm definitely psyched to have them at The Layabout for my 1st
time! They're often noisy and they often get compared to Sonic Youth. Should
be rad!! http://themagikmarkers.com

AMERICANS IN FRANCE (Carrboro) played the 2nd show EVER at my house, way
back around when i first moved in and well before I was calling the house
Layabout and they're one of my favorite local bands...Sooo, damn! It's good
to finally have them back! Noisy+weird pop with francophile vibes, bizarro
slideshows and boy/girl vocals! They have one rad LP on Odessa Records and
are prepping another one.. http://myspace.com/americansinfrance

Can't wait!!

Here's the facebook page, in case you wanna invite someone :
http://on.fb.me/fYVM7h

yrs,
Craig Layabout

P.S. Then on March 12th at the Layabout...a Saturday night party with DOM
(Worcester/Astralwerks), Gross Ghost + Fan Modine (solo) !!!

  • Sic Alps/ Magik Markers/ Americans in France Mon. 3/7 house show!, Craig Powell, 03/04/2011