ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 2, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 2, 2011
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 20:25:20 -0500

Wednesday, March 2
Jim Avett (http://www.jimavett.com/)
Reed Mahoney
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 2
The Protomen (http://www.myspace.com/theprotomen)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 2
Empress Hotel
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, March 3
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This month's lineup: "Ted Johnson (solo) / The Body of John the Baptist / The Boys of Summer (Asheville) and more tba..."

Thursday, March 3
The Charming Youngsters (http://www.myspace.com/thecharmingyoungsters)
Troubel (http://troubel.bandcamp.com/)
Wind & Willow
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, March 3
JLA
Tiny Victories
Rainbow Nerd
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

"Debut performance of RAINBOW NERD! Featuring Duncan Webster (Hammer No More the Fingers) and Leah Gibson (Lost in the Trees)."

Thursday, March 3
Country Mice (http://www.myspace.com/wearecountrymice)
Young Buffalo (http://www.myspace.com/youngbuffalo)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, March 3
Numbers
Brett Harris
The Stars Explode (http://www.myspace.com/thestarsexplode)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Power-pop goodness x3, with Brett Harris, Snuzz's The Numbers, and Doug Edmunds's The Stars Explode.

Thursday, March 3
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ed Schrader (http://www.myspace.com/edwardhenryschraderiii)
NAPS
Kings, Raleigh

First night of a two-night stand for Baltimore's second-finest.

Friday, March 4
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wrapup to the formal touring period for Superchunk's latest, "Majesty Shredding." Back to their ordinary lives of office-work drudgery, plus whatever it is that Jon Wurster does in his spare time. It's fashion-related; that's all I know.

Friday, March 4
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Fujiyama Roll (http://www.myspace.com/fujiyamaroll)
Adia Ledbetter
Caroline Aiken
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

"The Others is a fundraising effort for a mission positively impacting the local community. A healthy percentage of proceeds from ticket sales will go to Durham’s Crisis Response Center. The DCRC works with the community to end domestic and sexual violence through advocacy, education, support and prevention."

Friday, March 4
Rotten Sound (http://www.myspace.com/rottensound)
Finntroll (http://www.myspace.com/officialfinntroll)
Ensiferum (http://www.myspace.com/ensiferum)
Barren Earth (http://www.myspace.com/officialbarrenearth)
Aether Realm (http://www.myspace.com/aetherrealm)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Four Finnish metal bands, plus one from Greenville. Sort of a cross-section of black, death & thrash/grind, though I'll admit that I'm by no means an expert in the various subgenres.

Friday, March 4
Fractal Farm (http://www.myspace.com/fractalfarm)
The Parlotones (http://www.myspace.com/theparlotones)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 4
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Ed Schrader (http://www.myspace.com/edwardhenryschraderiii)
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, March 4
The Forms (http://www.theforms.org)
The Lisps
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
Towers
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Felix Obelix will be represented in solo form by Wendy Spitzer this evening.

Friday, March 4
Systems
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, March 4
The Infamous Sugar (http://www.myspace.com/theinfamoussugar)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Mother Sun Flower
Whoarfrost
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 5
Greg Brown (http://www.gregbrown.org/)
Bo Ramsey (http://www.boramsey.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, March 5
The Binary Marketing Show (http://www.myspace.com/thebinarymarketingshow)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Animal Alphabet
Nick Coward and the Last Battle (http://www.myspace.com/nickcoward/music)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 5
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Aminal (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 5
Jason Kutchma
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

After the Duke/UNC game on the big screen.

Saturday, March 5
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Bright Young Things
Wesley Wolfe
Kings, Raleigh

This is a benefit for the ReDress Raleigh Fashion Show coming up in April.

Sunday, March 6
Humble Tripe (http://www.myspace.com/shawnluby)
Justin Robinson & the Mary Annettes
Kelley McRae (http://www.kelleymcrae.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

Justin Robinson used to be in the Carolina Chocolate Drops; his "new" band (for the past 14 months or so) is the Mary Annettes & it's closer to weird psych chamber-pop than the oldtime of the CCDs.

Sunday, March 6
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
The Super Vacations (http://myspace.com/meetthevacations)
Ty Segall
Kings, Raleigh

Super Vacations are from Virginia, I think. I saw 'em at the Layabout & they seemed like nice boys. Ty Segall is another one of those freaky one-man ultra-lo-fi totally blown-out fuzz-garage-punk superstars.

Double Negative are gonna make the other two bands look like they're just standing around picking their noses.

Sunday, March 6
Troubel (http://troubel.bandcamp.com/)
Wind & Willow
Apollo Run (http://www.apollorun.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 7
Tennis
La Sera (http://www.myspace.com/iamkatygoodman)
Holiday Shores (http://www.myspace.com/holidayshores)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Buzz band playing at 506 on a Monday night in March? Must be getting close to SXSW time.

Monday, March 7
Rat Babies (http://www.myspace.com/ratbabies)
Spermcount (http://spermcountspermcount.angelfire.com/)
MUtX
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, March 8
The Invisible Hand (http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Naked Gods (http://www.myspace.com/nakedgods)
Milagres
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The upcoming Americans in France album keeps finding its way back onto the stereo here; it has some of the whacked-out funny/ominous feel of Evol/Sister-era Sonic Youth, and there's not much higher praise available in my lexicon.

Tuesday, March 8
Dum Dum Girls (http://www.myspace.com/dumdumgirls)
Reading Rainbow (http://www.myspace.com/levarmotherfuckingburton)
Dirty Beaches (http://www.myspace.com/dirtybeaches)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 8
New Euphemisms
John Brodeur
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of March 2, 2011, Ross Grady, 03/01/2011