ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 6, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 6, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 21:45:33 -0500

Thursday, January 6
Chuck Johnson
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Ezekiel Graves (http://www.myspace.com/ezekielgraves)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Your other main chance to catch Chuck while he's in town. I'm not 100% sure, but the internet gave me the impression that this show will skew more towards the electronic/experimental end of things for both Chuck (who has been doing the tweak/glitch/hiss thing for ages, first as Ivanovich & then Pykrete) and Zeke (aka Datahata).

But knowing them it could just as easily (and pleasantly) be Piedmont fingerstyle guitar.

Thursday, January 6
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Pink Flag are so totally badass, both on- and off-stage. I predict HUGE things for them in 2011. It is inevitable!

Thursday, January 6
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Antibubbles
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

The first Local Bands, Local Beers show of 2011.

Thursday, January 6
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
The Library
Kings, Raleigh

The Library are from NY, but they feature one Mr. Matthew Long, who was in the Mayflies USA all those years ago.

Thursday, January 6
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
The Hag (http://www.myspace.com/thehagmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, January 7
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Mary Johnson Rockers (http://www.myspace.com/maryjohnsonrockers)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Hungry Heart of Gold:
Neil Young vs Bruce Springsteen
Featuring (in order of appearance)
SUPREME FICTION
DJANGO HASKINS
BIG FAT GAP
SEMI-FORMAL
MARY JOHNSON ROCKERS
WYLIE HUNTER & THE CAZADORES
BIRDS & ARROWS
THE TOMAHAWKS
Benefit for Family Violence Prevention Center

Friday, January 7
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Wesley Wolfe
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Two rounds of straight-up Chapel Hill-style indierock from Embarrassing Fruits & the razor-sharp Wesley Wolfe, plus a dose of Springsteen-influenced dark countryish rock-n-roll from Wood Ear.

Friday, January 7
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Organos
Josh Carpenter
Kings, Raleigh

If Love Language keyboardist Missy Thangs keeps playing shows with her side project Soft Company, I'm going to have to start referring such events as the rarities they once were. All the better, since Missy's songs are awesome (and, yes, weirder than Stu's, in a good way).

Josh Carpenter is from Asheville, where he's been in a string of excellent bands, from Piedmont Charisma to Floating Action to probably 100 others, knowing Asheville. He's just recorded a comparatively delicate-sounding solo album that wouldn't sound too out of place on the Drughorse label.

Friday, January 7
Feast Upon Thy Brother (http://www.myspace.com/feastuponthybrother)
Violent Dreams
Lurch
The Pinhook, Durham

Lurch are a metal band, of the awesome variety favored by metal fans and non-metal fans alike.

Saturday, January 8
Xiu Xiu (http://www.epitonic.com/artists/xiuxiu.html)
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
All Day Records, Carrboro

This is a mid-evening (8-11 pm) show, and will feature Xiu Xiu doing their "out and weird : noise and experimental set," meaning weirder than usual, although I'm not sure how you top that video where the girls vomits nonstop for three minutes.

Saturday, January 8
Jonathan Byrd (http://www.jonathanbyrd.com/)
Dromedary
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Saturday, January 8
The Kick Ass (http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html)
Righteous Fool
The Church of Zahn
Kings, Raleigh

This is it, the moment some of us have been waiting for for a couple of years now: the release of Brian Walsby's epic oral history of the Raleigh hardcore scene, "Manchild 5: Rabid Pack With Sirens Howling."

Brian posted several long excerpts from the book on his blog a year or two ago, and they were most excellent. I can't wait to devour the whole thing. There's a great article about it in the Indy this week as well.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/brian-walsbys-essential-history-of-raleigh-hardcore-manchild-5/Content?oid=1933563

Saturday, January 8
Jason and the Scorchers (http://jasonandthescorchers.com/)
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Stacie Collins
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Saturday, January 8
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Aminal (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Saturday, January 8
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Garage-rock, from the one-man (or sometimes 1-man, 1-woman) Pinche Gringo to the many-men Thee Dirtybeats, who include a bunch of grizzled local rock-n-roll veterans cranking out the obscure Nuggets-style rockers.

Saturday, January 8
Mayflies USA (http://www.bigshoe.com/mayflies)
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
The Library
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Library is a Brooklyn band with ties to NC via Matthew Long, one of the original Mayflies USA.

Saturday, January 8
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Ladycop (http://www.myspace.com/ladycopnyc)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Both Filthybird and Butterflies released great 2nd albums in 2010, albums that seem tailor-made for sitting around on a chilly Sunday afternoon, looking out the window. So be sure to pick up a copy of each of 'em on Saturday night.

Saturday, January 8
Sinful Savage Tigers (http://www.myspace.com/sinfulsavagetigers)
The Brothership
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

From the Broad St. Cafe website: "In June of 1972 four young siblings (the Brodie Brothers) set out to make music and never looked back. Despite the ups and downs that come along with this business of music this group of brothers who later became The Brothership, continues to bring audiences all over the absolute best in rhythm and blues, carolina beach music and funk of the eighties."

Some of these dudes used to play with Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, which essentially makes them North Carolina legends by association. "Classic crowd involvement is the focal point of this well oiled entertainment extravaganza maticulously crafted from years of dedication to this thing called show business."

Saturday, January 8
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
The Beast
Jason Kutchma
The Casbah, Durham

Speaking of articles in the Indy this week, the cover story is a nice long piece about the sudden explosion of new venues in the Triangle, and what that might mean, both good & bad, for the music scene.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/split-ticket/Content?oid=1933213

I know what it means for me: more typing.

Sunday, January 9
Fan Modine (http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html)
Stranger Spirits (http://strangerspirits.com)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
This Year's Models
Stella Lively
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I've you've attended more than a handful of shows over the past couple of years, you've almost certainly seen keyboardist Charles Cleaver. That was him onstage at the Big Star show at the Cradle last month. That was him playing with Max Indian, as well as the Old Ceremony.

Now he's moving away, and a bunch of his friends (and ex-bands) are getting together to send him off.

Performances by:
STELLA LIVELY
FAN MODINE
TRIPP
THIS YEAR'S MODEL
WYLIE HUNTER & THE CAZADORES
LUEGO
STRANGER SPIRITS
APPROACHING APRIL
Plus a few more...

Sunday, January 9
Byrds of Paradise
Los Naturales
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Maybe this will start at a reasonable hour, since it's a Sunday night. Maybe not!

Monday, January 10
Junior Astronomers (http://www.myspace.com/juniorastronomers)
Ladycop (http://www.myspace.com/ladycopnyc)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 6, 2011, Ross Grady, 01/05/2011