ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 8, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 8, 2010
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:35:40 -0500

Wednesday, December 8
Crooked Fingers (http://www.crookedfingers.com/)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
The Cotton Jones Basket Ride (http://www.myspace.com/thecottonjonesbasketride)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Per Heather, Mount Moriah this time out will be her, Jenks, Lee Waters, Phil Cook, Casey Toll, and Will Hackney. So don't miss it. NEVER miss a chance to see Lee play drums, in fact.

Wednesday, December 8
Jukebox the Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/jukeboxtheghost)
The Meligrove Band
Dynamite Walls
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, December 9 & Friday, December 10
Stroke It, Noel (http://bigstarthird.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

These two shows were put together by Chris Stamey, whose career was clearly profoundly impacted by Big Star, from the dBs to his own time spent backing up a solo Alex Chilton, to so much of what he's done since.

So what this is, is a fully orchestrated play-through of Big Star's Third (Sister Lovers), featuring a bunch of local folks, plus Big Star drummer Jody Stephens, Mitch Easter, one or more REMers, etc.

Chris has been blogging about the experience of putting it all together at bigstarthird.com.

Thursday, December 9 - Saturday, December 11
The Great Cover-Up (http://www.kingsbarcade.com)
Kings, Raleigh

This is it, the main reason that many people were so excited about the return of Kings. Raleigh in December just wouldn't be Raleigh in December without a bunch of local bands getting together to play short tribute sets to their own favorite bands. And the Cover-Up wouldn't be the Cover-Up without at least a half-assed stab at keeping the details of who's playing what, when, a secret. So I don't know anything else.

Thursday, December 9
Wylie Hunter (http://www.myspace.com/wyliehunter)
Crowfield (http://www.myspace.com/crowfieldmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 9
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Devour
9 Fingered Thug
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Double Negative you know about. Nine Fingered Thug features ex Picasso Trigger bassist Sam Mintu, plus (I think) former members of Krapper Keeper & the Nein.

Thursday, December 9
Lost Trail
Nick Coward and the Last Battle (http://www.myspace.com/nickcoward/music)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 9
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Heart of Glass
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a benefit for Girls Rock NC, which runs rock-n-roll summer camps for girls in the Triangle. Lam! Lam! is the one-woman pop-rock-a-thon of Pink Flag's Betsy Shane. Heart of Glass is THE Durham Blondie tribute band.

Friday, December 10
Tom Maxwell (http://www.tommaxwell.com)
The Breaks (http://www.reverbnation.com/thebreaksofpittsboro)
Bustello (http://www.myspace.com/bustellomusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Bustello are the great twangy/reverby indierock band with Ben Clarke from Metal Flake Mother, local recordist extraordinaire John Plymale, and Jody Maxwell (ex-Gumption, a whole bunch of other bands).

The Breaks are also a bunch of longtime veterans, including tube-amp mastermind Steve Carr & ex-What Peggy Wants frontman John Ensslin.

Friday, December 10
Pipe (http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=pipe)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Oh my. Heavy dirty messy beery oldschool punkrock from Pipe, plus heavy dirty stonery bluesy metal from Caltrop.

Friday, December 10
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Thy Mighty Contract (http://www.myspace.com/thymightycontract)
The Pinhook, Durham

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan are my favorite local band of all time. Nobody else is as lovably screwy. Nobody.

Friday, December 10
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
The Old One Two (http://www.reverbnation.com/theoldonetwo)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 10
Righteous Fool
Black Thai
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Saturday, December 11
Billy Warden & the Floating Children
Gene Ween (http://www.ween.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Not just one of a handful of Billy Warden & the Floating Children shows since they broke up 20+ years ago, but an *acoustic* Billy Warden & the Floating Children show. The mind reels.

Saturday, December 11
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Fan Modine (http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html)
Wesley Wolfe
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Fan Modine is primarily a guy named Gordon Zacharias, who makes utterly disarming mid-fi bedroom pop that owes a clear (and freely admitted) debt to the Magnetic Fields. Not a bad place to begin. In a live context, it may or may not also include such local luminaries as Lee Waters, Ash Bowie, Michael Holland, and I dunno who-all else.

Saturday, December 11
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Saturday, December 11
Uncle Woody Sullender (http://www.deadceo.com/unclewoody/)
Seamus Cater (http://seacater.com/)
The Caribbean (http://www.myspace.com/thecaribbean)
John Le Sueur
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 11
Kooley High (http://www.myspace.com/kooleyhigh)
Carlitta Durand (http://www.myspace.com/missdurand)
King Mez
HaLo (http://mrbenready.tumblr.com)
Pour House, Raleigh

Monday, December 13
Justin Townes Earle (http://www.justintownesearle.com/)
Caitlin Rose (http://www.thecaitlinrose.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, December 13
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
The Young (http://yyyooouuunnnggg.blogspot.com/)
Prisms (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prisms/149546605087293)
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Tuesday, December 14
Elf Owl (http://www.myspace.com/ohelfowl)
Barron (http://www.myspace.com/barronnc)
Ryan Trauley (http://www.myspace.com/ryantrauley)
Kings, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of December 8, 2010, Ross Grady, 12/07/2010