ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 23, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 23, 2010
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:06:42 -0500

This is actually a manageable list, for once. Viva national holidays.

Tuesday, November 23
Old Bricks
Kurt Vile and the Violators (http://www.myspace.com/kurtvileofphilly)
Purling Hiss (http://www.myspace.com/purlinghiss)
Kings, Raleigh

Kurt Vile & Purling Hiss came through Chapel Hill on this same tour just a few weeks ago, and Chaz has been ranting about Purling Hiss ever since.

Tuesday, November 23
Owen Fitzgerald
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Los Naturales
African Queen, Carrboro

House show! The African Queen is at 503(D) North Greensboro St. in Carrboro.

Tuesday, November 23
Bermuda Triangles
Tate House
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is listed as a magazine release party for something called Cuke & Sew which I hope is an entire magazine about cucumbers.

Tuesday, November 23
Alex Cuba (http://www.alexcuba.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Winner of the 2010 Latin Grammy for Best New Artist, apparently.

Wednesday, November 24
Darren Hanlon (http://www.darrenhanlon.com)
Tim Kasher
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 24
David Dondero (http://www.futurefarmer.com/davidd.html)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Admission is only $3 if you show them your hand-stamp from the (presumably earlier) show at Local 506.

Thursday, November 25
Felix the Drum Machine
Kings, Raleigh

Kings sez: "A rare and special Thanksgiving performance the legendary Felix the Drum Machine featuring members loads of hip and famous bands!!   (Future Islands, Annuals, Cellar Seas)"

Friday, November 26
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Jon Shain, Will McFarlane, Sally Spring & Peter Holsapple
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 26
The Numbers (http://www.myspace.com/snuzz)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, November 26
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
DMVB (http://www.myspace.com/dmvb)
Bad Mr. Viswas and the Family
Kings, Raleigh

Those of y'all who're staying in town for the holidays are the lucky ones, for sure: Noncanon have been a non-entity for a couple of years now, ever since Danny Vaughn moved to Philadelphia. They were one of the Triangle's best bands when they were active, and the nature of Danny & Rob's interaction was such that they should [hopefully] be able to pick up right where they left off. Deep droney gtr/drums explorations wedded to split-second bursts of pop tunage.

Friday, November 26
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Morningstars
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 26
Psychic Reality (http://www.myspace.com/realitypsychic)
Sex Worker (http://www.myspace.com/xsexworkerx)
Sagan Youth Boys (http://lmgrovllum.org/sybss.html)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sex Worker involves a guy from Mi Ami, whom I vaguely remember enjoying but that's about as far as that memory goes. This show is brought to you by FrequeNC, though, so that's solid.

Friday, November 26
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
A Tin Djinn
iamDynamite
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, November 27
This Year's Models
Archbishops of Blount Street (http://www.myspace.com/blountstreet)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Costello tribute plus Specials tribute.

Saturday, November 27
The Invisible Hand (http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

The Invisible Hand are from up in Virginia somewhere, I believe; I've only heard their half of a split 7" with Boone's Naked Gods, but I liked what I heard, in a "this is indie rock" sort of way.

Saturday, November 27
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Kings, Raleigh

I believe there'll be another band yet to be determined. It's worth mentioning that not only is the new Filthybird album great, but they've comparatively recently added former Rebar frontman (and sometime Vetiver member) Sanders Trippe to the lineup on guitar. They're now at least three sizes bigger.

Saturday, November 27
Robobilly (http://www.myspace.com/robobilly)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 28
Simeon (http://www.myspace.com/simeonberkley)
Dirty Slang
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 30
Wreckless Eric (http://www.myspace.com/wrecklesseric)
Amy Rigby (http://www.myspace.com/amyrigby07)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Tuesday, November 30
Dan Melchior und das Menace (http://www.myspace.com/dasmenace)
Fabulous Diamonds (http://www.myspace.com/fabulousdiamonds)
Pigeons
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of November 23, 2010, Ross Grady, 11/22/2010