ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 22, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 22, 2010
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:55:41 -0400

Wednesday, September 22 - Sunday September 26
Signal Electronic Music Festival (http://www.signalfest.com/)
various locales, Chapel Hill

This is the 5th annual Signal Fest & as always it's focused on "electronic music" via a fairly broad definition, encompassing everything from hip-hop to noise, with the requisite techno & related dance-based subgenres in between: http://www.signalfest.com/

Wednesday, September 22
Marshall Crenshaw (http://www.marshallcrenshaw.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Wednesday, September 22
Amor De Cosmos
Our Cat Philip (http://www.myspace.com/ourcatphilip)
The Pinhook, Durham

At least one member of Chamber Corps & at least one member of Lemming Malloy, and that is all I know about Amor De Cosmos, beyond the additional tidbit that this is their first show.

Wednesday, September 22
Rat Babies (http://www.myspace.com/ratbabies)
HOG
Phantascist
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Durham's HOG are one of two bands who emerged after the breakup of the amazing metal band Tooth.

Wednesday, September 22
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Onward Soldiers (http://www.myspace.com/onwardsoldiers)
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, September 22
Bobby Bare Jr. (http://www.bobbybarejr.com/)
Blue Giant (http://www.myspace.com/bluegiantland)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 23
Motor Skills
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Cassis Orange
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Local Bands, Local Beers delves deep into the realm of local minimalist lo-fi bedroom synth-pop, and comes up with three of the catchiest bands around.

Thursday, September 23
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
The Super Vacations (http://myspace.com/meetthevacations)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The most remarkable thing about Whatever Brains' set at Hopscotch -- yes, even MORE remarkable than the 6-foot eagle playing keyboards -- was just how freaking tight and huge and unstoppable they sounded. All that while still maintaining their trademark layers of competing noises/this is all gonna fall apart any second now vibe. It was exhilarating.

Thursday, September 23
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Athens Boys Choir (http://www.myspace.com/athensboyschoir)
The Pinhook, Durham

Lam! Lam! is the recorded-backing-tracks mid-fi side project of Pink Flag singer/guitarist Betsy Shane.

Thursday, September 23
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Kevin Dunn (http://www.myspace.com/kevinmcfoydunn)
The Casbah, Durham

Thursday, September 23
Tripp (http://www.myspace.com/trippband)
Caleb Caudle & The Bayonets
Soft Spot (http://www.myspace.com/withlovesoftspot)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 23
Man Will Destroy Himself
The Infamous Sugar (http://www.myspace.com/theinfamoussugar)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Torpor
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Infamous Sugar is a one-man somewhat obscene organ band. Pinche Gringo is sometimes 1-man, and sometimes 1-man/1-woman. He/they strip garage rock to its bare essentials.

Friday, September 24
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Capstan Shafts (http://myspace.com/capstanshafts)
The Super Vacations (http://myspace.com/meetthevacations)
2702 Lawndale, Durham

The Capstan Shafts are one of my absolute most-favorite bands of the last five years. I initially fell in love with them via an MP3 that you yourself can download: "Middles of June". http://www.rainbowquartz.com/mp3/Middles%20of%20June.mp3

Basically, we're talking one guy named Dean Wells, who is working the same lo-fi super-catchy song-fragment territory as Guided By Voices circa Bee Thousand.

Like GBV, Dean has recorded seemingly hundreds of songs & released records on a variety of infinitely small labels. The most recent Capstan Shafts album, "Revelation Skirts," is actually a bit higher-fi, and features additional musicians apart from Dean. (also like GBV, songs occasionally reappear in newly-recorded versions, and/or lines from one songs appear as titles of others, or vice versa)

Up until last year, the Capstan Shafts had only ever played 3 shows outside of Dean's hometown in Vermont. Since then, however, he's apparently relocated to West Virginia & has assembled a bit of a regular band.

So: we're going to get something along those lines. Unclear exactly what, but I'm as excited about this show as I possibly can be.

Friday, September 24
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is it, the long-awaited grand opening of the MotorCo Music Hall, Durham's newest & largest rockclub. They're at the intersection of Rigsbee and Geer, just a block from the old Durham Athletic Park, and literally right across the street from Fullsteam Brewery.

This show is a CD-release party for the new North Elementary album.

Friday, September 24
Atlas Moth (http://www.myspace.com/theatlasmothband)
Nachtmystium (http://www.myspace.com/nachtmystium)
Zoroaster
Dark Castle
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, September 24
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Saints for Sinners
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, September 25
Pipe (http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=pipe)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
The Beast
Jason Kutchma
Triangle Brewing Company, Durham

This is a party to celebrate the fairly recent addition of canned beverages to the Triangle Brewing Company repertoire. I have the remnants of a six-pack of their White in my fridge, and I can vouch for its extreme tastiness.

And of course, who better to play a celebration of beer in cans than Pipe?

Saturday, September 25
The Invisible Hand (http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
The Light Pines (http://www.myspace.com/lightpines)
The Super Vacations (http://myspace.com/meetthevacations)
Kings, Raleigh

Whatever Brains complete their transit of the Triangle with their out-of-town friends the Super Vacations. Also on the bill, Drug Horse Collective members the Light Pines, who kick up a huge swirly 2-guitar, 2-keyboard ruckus, beautifully. One of my favorite local bands of the moment, for sure.

Saturday, September 25
Shithorse
Diminished Men (http://www.myspace.com/diminishedmen)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The most remarkable thing about Shit Horse is how fucking great they are, considering. Their debut album, "They Shit Horses . . . Don't They?" was our soundtrack to the daily back-and-forth Durham-to-Raleigh slog throughout the Hopscotch Festival, and its crazed take on indie-psych meets R&B (resulting in something not unlike Captain Beefheart, actually) set the mood perfectly.

Saturday, September 25
Cuntry Kings (http://www.geocities.com/nc_kings/)
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Nicky Click (http://www.nickyclick.com)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, September 25
On The Take (http://www.myspace.com/onthetakeband)
New Euphemisms
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

On the Take are an Asheville nu-wave/garage band with somewhere between 1 and 2 former members of Piedmont Charisma.

Saturday, September 25
Man Will Destroy Himself
Gollum (http://www.myspace.com/gollum)
Make (http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, September 26
Carrboro Music Festival (http://carrboromusicfestival.com/)
nearly everywhere, Carrboro

Festival-ed out yet? Hopefully not, given that we have another month to go before the upcoming Troika Music Festival.

Today's festival, though, is the 13th annual Carrboro Music Festival, which has always presented a sort of alternate-reality view of the Triangle music scene. Alternate if you're a regular reader of trianglerock, or regular attendee of shows at most local rockclubs, anyway.

There are an insanely large number of bands playing, and I'll freely admit that I've never heard of the vast majority of them, so I can't really give you a rundown. However, if I were going to be in Carrboro on Sunday, I'd definitely try to check out the Ron Liberti-curated T-shirt show at Carrboro Town Hall, and then I'd most likely stick pretty close to the "rock" stage at 208 E. Main, with possible side trips to check out Fantastico! at the Station, Alcazar Hotel at Milltown, The Magic Babies & the Julies at Jessee's, Brett Harris at DSI, and/or the Breaks at Tyler's.

Sunday, September 26
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Transportation have been around for 13+ years, and in that time they've managed to record and release 2 or 3 albums, depending on how you count them. And that number includes their latest, "Amusement Park." Clearly they take the time to get it right. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, September 26
Kevin Seconds (http://www.myspace.com/kseconds)
The Hell No (http://www.reverbnation.com/thehellno)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Do I care about one more ex-punk doing acoustic sets? Not a whit. But I did want to mention the unsolicited, random & highly enthusiastic endorsement given to The Hell No by Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe. I think we were at bowling a few weeks ago, or maybe I ran into him on the street . . . either way, he started raving, unprompted, about how The Hell No were the most exciting local band he'd seen in quite a while. Curiosity: piqued.

Monday, September 27
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Strapping Fieldhands (http://www.myspace.com/strappingfieldhands)
Los Naturales
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It probably doesn't even need mentioning that Titus Andronicus frontman Patrick Stickles spent quite a while ranting & raving last night at the Duke Coffeehouse about how Spider Bags are the greatest band in the world, since his love for them has been pretty well documented already. But there you are.

Strapping Fieldhands? Really? More evidence that 2010 is apparently 1995 in disguise.

Monday, September 27
Wild Thing
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, September 28
Old Bricks
We are the Willows
Kings, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of September 22, 2010, Ross Grady, 09/22/2010