ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 27, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 27, 2010
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:42:06 -0400

This'll actually just get you through Tuesday. More to come later (well, perpetually, into eternity, yeah).

Friday, August 27
The Houstons
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Twelve Thousand Armies (http://www.myspace.com/12000armies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Last Chapel Hill show (for a while? forever? given that it's all the same guys as all the other Drughorse bands, seems unlikely to be forever) for Max Indian, so get the smart Brit-influenced, Nick Lowe & Squeeze-loving pop while you can.

Friday, August 27
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
The Pointless Forest (http://www.myspace.com/thepointlessforestnc)
Controlled Storms (http://www.myspace.com/controlledstorms)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

There are Five Questions with my man Ben Davis in the Carrboro Citizen's blog: http://www.carrborocitizen.com/mill/2010/08/gimme-five-ben-of-ben-davis-and-the-jett/

Friday, August 27
Pipe (http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=pipe)
Tonk
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Pipe I assume you already know about. Tonk are a Raleigh country supergroup populated by a bunch of veterans of the '90s Raleigh Rock scene, mostly.

Friday, August 27
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
The Royal Nites
The Spring Collection
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This was supposed to be the first show at the new version of Kings. The fact that it's at Slim's presumably means that the usual permit-related crap is happening over at Kings & thus they can't open the main room & have a show in it yet. Nevertheless, it's never too early to celebrate.

Saturday, August 28
Countdown Quartet (http://www.countdownq.com/)
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Central Park, Durham

This is the annual Music For Fences benefit to help out the Coalition to Unchain Dogs with their ongoing efforts to build fences for folks who can't afford them, so as to enable their dogs to run around outside in a somewhat controlled fashion & whatnot.

It's also a pretty excellent rockshow, between the art-folk-pop of Birds & Arrows, the Dixieland-influenced party-jazz of the Countdown Quartet, and the hyperliterate indierock superstardom of the Mountain Goats.

One weird note: Durham Parks & Rec is in charge of booking the pavilion in Central Park. Durham Parks & Rec is putting on some kind of show of its own on Saturday, at CCB Plaza, from 6-8. Durham Parks & Rec made it a condition of the Music For Fences permit that they could not have live music between 6 and 8, presumably so as not to compete with DP&R's own show.

So Birds & Arrows & Countdown Quartet will play between 4 and 6, and then there will be a wide variety of kewl non-musical entertainment (step teams, the Bouncing Bulldogs jumprope team, etc) until 8pm when the Mountain Goats will go on.

Saturday, August 28
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Honored Guests full-length, "Please Try Again," which (near as I can tell) was written some time ago, and *before* their beautiful early-summer Into Nostalgia EP. I haven't heard the new album, though, so I don't know what it all means.

I *do* know that Calico Haunts released one of my top-3 albums of 2009, After All, and that their followup has been delayed in part because some motherfucker stole the digital recorder that held the only copy of it.

Saturday, August 28
The Wusses (http://thewusses.com/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Not just a free show, but a free Wusses show. Double up on the birth control, ladies.

Saturday, August 28
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

In case there was any doubt, strong proof that there are folks under the age of 30 making "classic" indie-rock in the Triangle.

Saturday, August 28
Flesh Epic (http://www.myspace.com/fleshepic)
Lord Scrummage (http://www.myspace.com/lennystoofy)
Rapdragons (http://www.myspace.com/rapdragons)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Apparently Sam Herring of Future Islands has a 2nd career as a rapper.

Sunday, August 29
Organos
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Organos is the mostly-solo-project of Maria Albani, who used to play bass in the squirrelly local indierock band Pleasant, and has subsequently fulfilled a similar role in other equally squicked-out bands like Tennis & the Mennonites & Schooner. Perhaps not surprisingly, then, most of the songs on her debut EP are well under 2 minutes long, which makes me love her all the more. As if such a thing were possible. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, August 29
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Houston Brothers (http://www.thehoustonbrothers.com/indexhoustons.html)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Sunday, August 29
NAPS
Flesh Epic (http://www.myspace.com/fleshepic)
Lord Scrummage (http://www.myspace.com/lennystoofy)
Rapdragons (http://www.myspace.com/rapdragons)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Sunday, August 29
The Small Ponds
Jon Lindsay
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, August 30
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Cassis Orange
Tennis
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Another house show at the new home of rock-n-roll in Durham, the Layabout. Soft Company is what Missy Thangs does when she's not keeping Stu out of trouble in the Love Language. It's freaky, in an awesome Eno-era Roxy Music kind of way.

Tuesday, August 31
The Julies
Bare Wires
The Station, Carrboro

Garage-rock presented by Craig of Durham's Layabout house.

Tuesday, August 31
The Binary Marketing Show (http://www.myspace.com/thebinarymarketingshow)
Deluxe Handcuffs (http://www.myspace.com/deluxehandcuffs)
Cracker Creeptacular (http://www.myspace.com/crackercreeptacular)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of August 27, 2010, Ross Grady, 08/26/2010