ch-scene - Re: Durham Internet Service Providers

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham Internet Service Providers
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:20:52 -0400

Our interns' apartments came with Clearwire this year. When I was setting up their WAPs, I was thinking "hmm, wonder how well it works" so I did a bunch of speed tests, and was getting 8Mb/sec or more.

Which seemed pretty awesome, until the interns actually arrived, and started actually trying to use the stuff, at which point they were getting something closer to oldschool original DSL speeds or worse (i.e. in the 300kb/sec range or below), especially during the night/weekend hours.

So after a couple of weeks we switched them back to RoadRunner.

Ross