ch-scene - Great Live Music at Indy Award Winning Broad Street Cafe!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Great Live Music at Indy Award Winning Broad Street Cafe!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:48:28 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Tuesday, June 22
=95 8P Anna Rose Beck (acoustic/folk)
=95 9:30P Valley Young (alt/folk rock/indie)

Wednesday, June 23
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam

Thursday, June 24
=95 8P Sabina Barton (acoustic/folk/lyrical)
=95 10P Our Never Ending Life (indie/exp/rock)

Friday, June 25
=957:30P Skeedaddle (swing/acoustic/hawaiin)
=95 10P Beloved Binge (indie/pop/alt)- $5 Cover
=95 10:45 Pink Flag (pop punk/powerpop/garage)
=95 11:45 Jews and Catholics (post punk/rock/indie) - $5 Cover

Saturday, June 26
=95 8P Griffanzo
=95 10P Three Days in Vegas (alt/rock/ambient)

Sunday, June 27
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band

---DETAILS---

Tuesday, June 22
=95 8P Anna Rose Beck (acoustic/folk)
Born and raised in Austin, Texas, Anna moved to North Carolina to
attend Duke as an undergraduate. Inspired by the music scene in and
around Durham, she began playing guitar and writing songs in 2008.
With influences ranging from Paul Simon, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan to
more contemporary artists Regina Spektor, Jaymay, Iron & Wine, Sufjan
Stevens and Laura Marling, she is in the process of developing her own
sound and musical style. With a voice that is at once unique, gentle
and passionate, Anna sings about coming of age and young love, leading
many to compare her sound to "something that would be in a movie like
Juno." She is in the process of writing and recording her first album
which she hopes to release by the end of 2010.

=95 9:30P Valley Young (alt/folk rock/indie)

Wednesday, June 23
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday, June 24
=95 8P Sabina Barton (acoustic/folk/lyrical)
Sabina Barton is a singer/songwriter based in Durham, North Carolina.
She's currently working on her first album entitled =93Come Off Your
Throne=94 - a collection of original songs that will "forever be under
construction.=94 The open mic nightlife helped fuel it, and mostly
everything found on the album is lyrically punctuated with emphasis on
voice and melody. Guitar, harmonica, and other percussive tactics have
also been added, but always with the intention that less is more.

=95 10P Our Never Ending Life (indie/exp/rock)
Our Never Ending Life been working on their self-produced album for
over a year now and it is due out in January 2010 it will be entitled
"Humanity Presents: Our Never Ending Life" It will be ten tracks of
pulse pounding, thought provoking, tear jerking melodies and lyrics
that will keep everyone listening time and time again.

Friday, June 25
=957:30P Skeedaddle (swing/acoustic/hawaiin)
Skeedaddle is a four piece acoustic string band that plays 20s and 30s
swing, Hawaiian, jump blues, jug band and other roots Americana music
with the intensity of a vaudevillian volleyball troupe. You have to
see this group to appreciate this group - - - a great time...and if
you like to dance, well, you're in luck!

=95 10P Beloved Binge (indie/pop/alt)- $5 Cover
"Beloved Binge =93delivers plain-spoken, pensive songs=85downright
thrilling for those on the receiving end...=94 The Independent Weekly

=95 10:45 Pink Flag (pop punk/powerpop/garage)
Comprised of Dork Flag, Lucky Flag and Sick Flag (Princess Ojiaku,
Betsy Shane and Jessica Caesar), Pink Flag came together in a tin box
in December of 2007, almost 30 years to the day after its namesake
album was released. Pink Flag is more cult than band, more spice than
sugar, more shout than whimper, but like the album, displays a method
to its chaos, a virtuosity in its noisiness and a keen ear for hooks
and song structure. They're a regular three girl rhumba dancing on the
common ground of a love of early post-punk, riot grrl and top 40 of
the 1990s. Their earnest approach to all subject matter and
unabashedly campy live performances have been infectious for
audiences. Pink Flag is devoted to good friends, good times and
slumber parties and can't wait for you to become places and friends of
PFLAG.

=95 11:45 Jews and Catholics (post punk/rock/indie) - $5 Cover
Winston-Salem's duo-band. We melt faces. Or so we've been told after
we've melted a face.
Alanna Meltzer played in orchestras, Eddie Garcia played in bands. You
haven't heard of any of these bands. But he had a great time in them.
Alanna played with Kenny Rogers once........once. We played our first
gig on May 15 of 2005 at The Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. We didn't
have a drummer then, and we don't have one now. That is how we like
it. We wised up and bought a PA to travel with, good move we think.
North Carolina is a great state to play music in, we are very
fortunate. We thank our friends and families and bands we've met along
the way for all the love and support. We recently hooked up with 307
Knox Records out of Durham, NC. They are amazing, we heart them big
time. They're going to release our next record which will be produced
by Mitch Easter. We're stoked. We want to play your town. We will give
110% when we play in your town. We will wring every last drop of sound
out of our instruments and equipment for you. We really love this.

Saturday, June 26
=95 8P Griffanzo
Robert Griffin, alias Griffanzo, has been performing on piano and
vocals in triangle for over 30 years. With Squirrel Nut Zippers, Taz
Halloween, Ray Codrington and Stu Cole in the mix of a long list of
the areas best musicians, griffanzo has covered a lot of ground
musically as well as geographically. The recent cd, Ain't My Kinda
Strange by the artist Griffanzo has just been released and includes
drummer Frank Worrell, bassist Don Gladstone, as well as Codrington,
Halloween and Carter Minor. Adding more than the usual jazz originals,
the griffanzo cd includes severals songs defying catagory, including
Girl #0024 (the video is on youtube under griffanzo), Fred was Here
and Katrina. All the cd info, bio, song clips and blogs are on
griffanzo.com.

After a busy year touring with the Zippers and producing a cd the
performing schedule is not up to it's usual busy standard. Expect that
to change! Schedule will be posted on the site as well and I hope to
carry some more dates at Broad Street Cafe in a variety of
incarnations.

www.griffanzo.com and/or www.robertgriffin.com

=95 10P Three Days in Vegas (alt/rock/ambient)
Three Days in Vegas is emerging as one of the southeast's most
relevant pop quartets in years. Their textured, almost orchestral
sounding guitars and speaking bass lines reference musical influences
ranging from Echo and the Bunnymen to U2. What makes 3DV special is
simply the melodic sensitivity of their songwriting and lack of
pretense. A byproduct of being musical children of the 80s, 3DV emotes
an ethereal quality that makes you feel like you've known their songs
without ever hearing them before.

"Original music mixed from classic draughts and fresh springs, Three
Days in Vegas is a refreshing quaff of delicious pop " Deep Friar,
Myspace Review

"Three Days in Vegas borrow heavily from UK pop-rock of the mid-'80s
-- Echo & the Bunnymen and U2 in particular to create scenes of
cinematic grandeur. " Independent Weekly

"Catherine Aravosis says of 3DV .. "wow. Now I have to confess I never
listened to you guys B4, You are all grown up and I am a kid again
when I listen...it is familiar sounding and I loved it...the best of
the 80s and my youth..." Catherine Aravosis - FREE THE NOISE

"pleasantly surprised against the lurking shadows of doubt that filled
my initially reflexive expectations. Yet still, I would listen and
stand cold in my tracks or dive headlong through the clouds of
familiar lost soundscapes of comfort and beauty." David Dark - My
Space

Sunday, June 27
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band
"Our style is highly improvisational, with an emphasis on interplay &
polyphony. The music is our passion & we delight in sharing it with
listeners."

Lou Sawyer& Pete Goldberg have been performing jazz together since
1980. Their repertoire is focused on mainstream jazz classics,
standards, & originals.

The current Sawyer-Goldberg jazz group, which was formed in 1993,
includes:
Susan Cohen - vocals
Roger Cook - electric & acoustic bass
Pete Goldberg - guitar
Lou Sawyer - alto, tenor & soprano sax
David Shore - drums

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Great Live Music at Indy Award Winning Broad Street Cafe!, BSC, 06/22/2010