ch-scene - Ladie's Night at The Broad Street Cafe

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ladie's Night at The Broad Street Cafe
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 03:18:57 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCa=
fe.com

Raleigh's Erin Brown, who has been playing in and out of the area for
several years, will be opening for Tribella at 8pm.
http://www.myspace.com/erinmbrownmusic

Tribella (indie/powerpop/new wave)
http://www.tribellatheband.com/
tri=C2=B7bel=C2=B7la
Pronunciation: ..tr=C4=AB-bel-la..
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin (from tri-, tres) & Greek, from tri-, treis =E2=80=94 plus
French, from feminine of beau beautiful =E2=80=94
Date: 2008
1: 3 Women (American). Superb musicians. Schooled by grandparents in
classical piano and old-time jazz by way of Indiana, Baton Rouge & New
York City. Met in Austin. Came together to play good music. Really
good music.

EMERGING WITH THEIR DEBUT EP MY GUEST LIST at SXSW two years ago,
Tribella has established itself as a mainstay on the local Austin
scene, performing with a host of other renowned independent bands and
embarking in June of 2009 on a 20-show US tour throughout the Midwest,
East Coast, and South East. Based in Austin, the trio=E2=80=94whose sound
defies pat labeling but draws from 80s new wave, progressive and indie
rock influences=E2=80=94performs regularly at hotspots like The Mohawk,
Antone=E2=80=99s and Emo=E2=80=99s; their CD release party for Thirteen is =
at
Lambert=E2=80=99s on February 27.

Tribella=E2=80=99s tour schedule has taken them from The Beachland in
Cleveland and The Frequency in Madison, to venues in the Twin Cities,
Boston, NYC, Asheville, and New Orleans. They've shared bills with:
Sarah Bettens (K=E2=80=99s Choice), Girl In A Coma, Reign of Kindo, The Bla=
ck
Hollies, Why Make Clocks, Soap Stars, Punch Drunk Poets and
Kid:Nap:Kin.

With every performance, the trio has been winning audiences over with
their adroit musicianship, nervy attitude, and stunningly intricate
and emotive songs. KUT=E2=80=99s Texas Music Matters wrote: =E2=80=9CThe ba=
nd has
crafted a sound that=E2=80=99s a perfect blend of pop-rock and new wave, bu=
their attention to song craft is what sets this band apart from others
in the local music scene." While their influences range from 80s pop
to traditional jazz, they consistently evoke a nostalgia for 90=E2=80=99s
alternative rock bands like Belly, Liz Phair and Jane=E2=80=99s Addiction, =
and
=E2=80=93 with their infusion of elaborate melodies and syncopated rhythms =
=E2=80=93
bring to mind progressive bands like Yes, Rush and Muse.

=E2=80=9CWhen I moved here several years ago, I had just released a solo CD
and was gigging around town promoting that album. I knew Rae through
playing shows... It was obvious right away that Rae and I made a great
team and that we were amazingly like-minded. Dena had just moved to
town from San Francisco and word spread that there was this great new
female drummer I should meet. When the three of us first got together,
we weren=E2=80=99t sure it would work and were all a bit nervous, but once =
we
started playing it felt powerful and there was a unique chemistry.
Tribella has been creatively liberating for all of us.=E2=80=9D

Combining the trio=E2=80=99s dynamic musicianship with emotionally charged
lyrics, the songs on Tribella=E2=80=99s album are named after time signatur=
es
(=E2=80=9C13=E2=80=9D is from the track=E2=80=99s unusual meter 13/8) and c=
hord structures
(=E2=80=9CCSUS4=E2=80=9D for one of the prominent chords within the progres=
sion). =E2=80=9C13=E2=80=9D
comes from a place of uncertainty in a push-pull relationship with a
lover who moved away, while =E2=80=9CDeal Breaker=E2=80=9D=E2=80=94the jamm=
ing opener =E2=80=94draws
inspiration from a recurring nightmare Sarah had as a child about
being trapped in a basement with flickering lights and strangers
speaking foreign languages; she now applies the metaphor to the fear
that is aroused when people focus on their differences rather than on
what is universal. =E2=80=9CCSUS4=E2=80=9D toys with the notion of super st=
ardom and
being stalked by paparazzi.

=E2=80=9CMy hope is that every time we play, people are affected by the
passion and sincerity we collectively put forth" says Sarah, "And when
I can sense that the audience is responding and even jumping up and
down, I know they=E2=80=99re getting it and that=E2=80=99s very gratifying.=
=E2=80=9D

Tribella are Sarah Glynn (lead vocalist and guitarist), Rae Golding
(bassist) and Dena Gerbrecht (drummer/backing vocalist). Their highly
anticipated full-length album Thirteen DEBUTS on February 27, 2010.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCa=
fe.com

  • Ladie's Night at The Broad Street Cafe, BSC, 04/22/2010