ch-scene - Re: stuff - Stravinsky & Arvo Part

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff - Stravinsky & Arvo Part
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 23:39:54 -0500

And the NC Symphony is doing 3 shows this weekend - Thurs in Chapel Hill and Fri/Sat in Raleigh. The bill looks pretty interesting: Stravinsky's Octet for Winds (fabulous), an Arvo Pärt piccolo concerto (after Bach), a Bach Orchestral Suite (I'm a newbie to classical and already kind of tired of Bach orchestral suites but I bet hearing this live will be great) and Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5 "The Emperor." Never heard that last one live yet either. In case you haven't been paying attention, the NC Symphony's been on a real roll lately, pulling together some astonishingly tight and wondrous shows. I still can't get that Brahms 4th Symphony out of my head; it was a revelation in the same way the Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion was a revelation oh those years ago.

todd p.s. ross forgot to mention the delicious free food at Marsh Woodwinds shows it's a tastier and more filling spread than anywhere else for sure morman