ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 25, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 25, 2010
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:42:51 -0400

Thursday, March 25
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Take Care (http://www.myspace.com/takecareband)
Community College (http://www.myspace.com/ourwolffriends)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

This is the first night of the Let Feedback Ring festival . . . each evening's lineup begins with bands at Sadlack's (7-10pm Thursday & Friday; all afternoon on Saturday) & then transitions to a different bar each night to round out the evening. So tonight it's Goodbye, Titan plus two out-of-town bands at Sadlacks from 7-10, and then at 10 everyone decamps to Tir Na nOg for the second half of the evening.

Thursday, March 25
Shearwater (http://jound.com/shearwater/main.html)
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
Hospital Ships (http://www.myspace.com/hospitalships)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I'll be at a sold-out Joanna Newsom show, but if I weren't, I might very well be at this show; Baltimore's Wye Oak were one of the highlights of last summer's XX Merge festival.

Thursday, March 25
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
Red Leader
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the second half of the first night of the Let Feedback Ring festival.

Thursday, March 25
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Lo-Pan
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, March 25
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Psychedelic Horseshit (http://www.myspace.com/psychedelichorseshit)
Shithorse
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Proof that radio is dead: two of these three bands have names that couldn't be announced on terrestrial radio. (and the third, the Dirty Little Heaters, habitually load their best songs down with relentless cussing)

Thursday, March 25
Gross Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/grossghost)
The Pack A.D. (http://www.myspace.com/thepackad)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, March 25
The Ghost of Saturday Nite (http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Prostitute Hostage (http://www.myspace.com/prostitutehostage)
The Brewery, Raleigh

Friday, March 26
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Ponchos From Peru (http://www.myspace.com/ponchosfromperu)
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

This is the first part of night two of Let Feedback Ring, a sensibly-organized three-day festival during which there's only one affiliated show happening at a time. This portion runs from 7-10 p.m., and then the action shifts to Slim's.

Ponchos From Peru are from Wilmington & make raggedy indie-pop with boy/girl vocals. Jews & Catholics are from Winston-Salem & I *think* they're fixing to release a new album.

Friday, March 26
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
The Light Pines (http://www.myspace.com/lightpines)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an EP-release party for the new Drughorse Collective EP, which nets you two songs apiece by all three bands on tonight's bill.

Friday, March 26
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
The Big Death Scene
Pour House, Raleigh

If you're at all curious about the state of the art in local garage-stomp, look no further than this show. The Moaners hold down the slower/bluesier end of the gtr/drums duo continuum, and the Loners the harder/faster end.

Dirty Little Heaters haven't been a gtr/drums duo in years -- they're currently a gtr/bass/drums/organ quartet -- but the stripped-down lets-do-this aesthetic is still in effect. This is a sort of Raleigh CD-release for their amazing new album, Champions of Imperfection, so don't you dare leave the club without a copy.

Friday, March 26
Vivian Girls (http://www.myspace.com/viviangirlsnyc)
Wet Dog (http://www.myspace.com/wetdogthebest)
Happy Birthday (http://www.myspace.com/brattleborohousecartoon)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

One of two high-profile indie-blogger-fave lineups at the Coffeehouse this week (along with Sunday's Woods/Real Estate show).

Vivian Girls were the subject of last year's hype machine & inevitable backlash (inevitable because the very thing that made some people love them - sloppy amateurish girl-group pop drenched in reverb - is the sort of thing that other people identify as Everything That's Wrong With Music Today). Happy Birthday are on Sub Pop and as I type this, their new self-titled album is #1 on the WXDU charts

Friday, March 26
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sure, there's a little bit of 70s nostalgia at work here -- Transportation's mix of sweet vocal harmonies & occasional total rock bombast identify them pretty quickly as big fans of Queen (and Wings). And Minor Stars make straight-up long-haired bell-bottomed Les Paul'ed acid-psych.

Friday, March 26
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Finn Riggins (http://www.myspace.com/finnriggins)
Jason Kutchma
Solar Powered Sun Destroyer
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is the second half of the second night of the Let Feedback Ring festival.

Friday, March 26
Deleted Scenes
Lands of Wonder (http://www.myspace.com/landsofwonder)
Lille Bronze (http://www.myspace.com/lillebronze)
The Pinhook, Durham

Friday, March 26
The Beets (http://myspace.com/thebeetsbeat)
Nodzzz (http://myspace.com/nodzzz)
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Craig says he's timing this house show to start *after* the Vivian Girls are through at the Coffeehouse. 2702 Lawndale is in Old West Durham, out near the Food Lion on Hillsborough Rd.

Saturday, March 27
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
Saint Solitude (http://saintsolitude.com/)
The Charming Youngsters (http://www.myspace.com/thecharmingyoungsters)
The Last Tall Boy
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

This third day of the Let Feedback Ring festival gets underway in early-mid-afternoon (3:00 p.m. or so), with six bands at Sadlacks (add the Oak City Six to the others listed above), before kicking over to the Berkeley at 10:00 to round out the evening.

Saturday, March 27
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Static Minds
Temperance League (http://www.myspace.com/brucehazel)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

This is the second half of the third night of Let Feedback Ring, and it brings you bar-rock from Static Minds & the Temperance League, Brit-influenced pop from the Huguenots, and massively heavy stoner/psych from Caltrop.

Saturday, March 27
Urban Sophisticates (http://www.urbansophisticates.com/)
Inflowential (http://www.myspace.com/inflowential)
The Beast
Allen Mask
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, March 27
Skull Buckle
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Death Came Down the Mountain (http://www.myspace.com/deathcamedownthemountain)
Rural Swine (http://www.myspace.com/ruralswine)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I had no idea Wilmington's Rural Swine were still around; it's been something on the order of 20+ years.

Sunday, March 28
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Richard Bacchus is a denim-jacketed raconteur of rock-n-roll, a bard of late-night booze and trouble in the streets. Half the fun of his set is his between-song patter, and I only hope we can convince him to self-edit the profanity enough for you to actually hear any of it. 4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, March 28
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Real Estate (http://www.myspace.com/letsrockthebeach)
Woods (http://www.myspace.com/woodsfamilyband)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The other big-hip-bands-of-the-moment Coffeehouse show of the weekend. If you've listened to college radio, read Pitchfork, or hung out at Chaz's Bull City Records anytime over the past year, you've probably heard or heard of Woods or Real Estate.

You *should* have also heard of the amazing Soft Company, a band fronted by Missy Thangs, who nowadays is far too busy with The Love Language to book many Soft Company gigs. Too bad, too; their debut EP was one of my faves of last year, all early-70s Roxy Music weirdness.

Sunday, March 28
Lawrence Arabia (http://www.myspace.com/lawrencearabia)
Gossip Grows on Trees (http://gossipgrowsontrees.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, March 28
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
Hollow Leg (http://www.myspace.com/hollowlegband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, March 29
King Khan and the Shrines (http://www.myspace.com/kingkhantheshrines)
The Fresh and Onlys (http://www.thefreshandonlys.com/)
Junkers (http://www.myspace.com/junkersband)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I'm taking a day off work just so I can experience this show in all its glory. King Khan & the Shrines' 2007/8/9 (depending on who you ask & who released the version you got) album "What Is!?" isn't just a top-10 for whatever year it was released; it's a top-10 for the past half-dozen years. This is high-energy garage-rock that's bursting with pop hooks and a sort of sublime silliness that never gets old.

Monday, March 29
Animal Alphabet
Jacquelyn Lee (http://www.myspace.com/jacquelynleeee)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 30
Jason Kutchma
Reese McHenry
Sol (http://www.sol-roots.com/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the latest installment in Broad St's Public Nudity Songwriters' Night, hosted by Greg Humphreys.

Tuesday, March 30
Jer Coons (http://www.jercoons.com/)
Matt Duke (http://www.myspace.com/mattduke)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of March 25, 2010, grady, 03/24/2010