ch-scene - VH1 Save The Music, Jazz, Metal, Funk, Folk - - - Come Enjoy!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: VH1 Save The Music, Jazz, Metal, Funk, Folk - - - Come Enjoy!
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 06:03:10 -0800 (PST)

The Broad Street Cafe - - 1116 Broad Street in Durham
www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

Tuesday December 1
=95 8P Jaafar (Eastern inspired fusion)
Upon returning from a six month musical exploration of the Nile River
Valley and the Sinai mountains, the vision to bring Middle Eastern /
Arabic melodies and rhythms interpreted through the voice of American
jazz became increasingly compelling. The original components of the
group began with two violins, an acoustic bass, and two
percussionists. As the magical potency of the music grew, the group
soon morphed into its present incarnation. A revolving door of
extremely talented musicians, with a willingness to push themselves
and their audience to unforeseen places, fused traditional Arabic
music, classical Indian concepts of composition, North African
rhythmic grooves, and pure American "old-school Funk" to produce the
unique soundscape that is Jaafar.

Wednesday December 2
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday December 3
=95 8P Mysti Mayhem (folk/folk rock/indie)
Singer/Guitarist/Composer with 5 albums, the most recent being
Diversity, a $50,000 fan funded album via German label Sellaband. She
has performed with Mike Farris (Screamin Cheetah Wheelies), Damon
Johnson (Brother Cain), Tenacious D, and Highway 101 and performed in
London, Amsterdam, Portugal, and throughout the United States. Her
recent work on the Portuguese album from Nearfield is scheduled to
release late 2009/early 2010. You can watch her live online every
Monday on http://www.blogtv.com/people/mystimayhem and visit her
http://www.youtube.com/mystimayhem on Youtube to see the latest
releases.

=95 10P The Mighty Zorgon (experimental/indie/rock)
Living in these false cities // Among the complacent, amongst the
filth // This is where the faithful come // To tend the garden of the
mind // Enveloped in the sounds... // The truth begins to bloom

Friday December 4
=95 8P Daniel Shawn (acoustic/rock/funk)
Daniel Sean has been writing music over the past decade. He is excited
to finally bring these songs of life, love, hope, and happiness to
you. The songs were written from a personal point of view either
consciously or unconsciously. For the record, he never set out to be a
singer/songwriter. To Daniel, songwriting is an art form for composing
life as you live it.

9:30P Super Sounds for Saving Lives to benefit the Leukemia-Lymphoma
Society - $10 donation (4 bands)

=95 9:30P Tad Dreis (acoustic/indie/folk)
I=92m a singer-songwriter based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I play
the guitar and harmonica and sing songs about love, human-insect envy,
kittens in trees, love, roadtrips and roadkill. I have three CDs,
which I recorded in my home studio. I wrote the songs, sang, and
played most of the instruments.
I travel quite a bit and perform maybe seventy to a hundred shows a
year at colleges and other venues. Most of the time, it=92s just me on
vocals, guitar, and harmonica. In 2008, I began playing shows with a
backup band as well.
When I=92m not on tour, I also teach guitar lessons in Carrboro, NC.

=95 10:30P Soulless Dogs (funk/blues/jazz)
"Soulless Dogs Blues Band left my jaw on the table with their major
chops and fireball singer."
-Brian Howe, Independent Weekly, Durham, NC

=95 11:30P Roxcetera (metal)
Roxcetera is the newest incarnation of Roxotica, an all girl metal
band that is so metal our songs don't even have to sound metal. One
look at our fishnets and you'll forget you've never heard us
fingertap. One listen to our lyrics, and you'll never miss the
distinct lack of viking references. One spoken word will reveal that
our British accents are indeed fake, and yet it will seem as if the
constant repetition of "bloody hell" is a common conversational tool.
One touch of our lips, and, well, our boyfriends/husbands will feed
your organs to our pet dragons. Metal.

=95 12:30P Pistil (pop punk/indie)
Pistil is a fun, punk-inspired trio of Megan Dawson, Anne Starling,
and Ian the Terrible. They like to call themselves "indie pop punk"
but in practice, you'll hear great rock n roll informed by punk and
blues. Megan's got a drop dead bluesy voice and a sweet bass, tiny
Anne sports a big, sexy, loud guitar, and Ian keeps the beat, with
occasional singing and acoustic guitar. Their songs cover heartbreak,
love, and politics with a feminist bent. Pistil has a fresh, unique
sound that you're sure to get hooked on!

Saturday December 5
=95 8P Flava (contemporary jazz/r&b/pop)

=95 10P The Gravy Boys (americana/acoustic/roots)
The Gravy Boys hail from Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina and perform
Acoustic Americana music, drawing deep from the well of our country=92s
diverse musical heritage.

Each of the Boys brings to the bands' original music a unique
personality and musical background. A broad spectrum of musical
influences results, ranging from the traditional American catalog of
the Carter Family, Jimmie Rogers, Woody Guthrie, the Maddox Brothers
and Ralph Stanley, to the classic elements of Hank Williams, the
Louvin Brothers, George Jones, the Everly Brothers, Gram Parsons and
Bob Dylan to the modern perspectives of artists such as Steve Earle,
Tom Waits, Ryan Adams and the Avett Brothers.

The Boys have released 2 CD=92s of original music; 2007=92s =93Workin=92 th=
Angels for Handouts=94 and, in 2009, =93Dust Bowl Lover=94. They are
currently developing material for their next release while performing
regularly to an ever broadening audience.

Their high energy shows feature heartfelt vocal harmonies, boot-
stomping rhythms, and lively stage shenanigans. The Gravy Boys take
old-time themes and bring them into the present day, with an authentic
passion that resonates with all who listen.

As they like to remind folks: =93We are your Gravy Boys!=94

Sunday December 6
=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz Jam
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9

If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

Monday December 7
VH1 Save The Music Benefit for Durham Public Schools - Donation/Cover
$10

The VH1 Save The Music Foundation is a nonprofit organization
dedicated to restoring instrumental music education in America's
public schools, and raising awareness about the importnace of music as
a part of each child's complete education.

Since 1997, the VH1 Save The Music Foundation has provided $43
million dollars worth of new musical instruments to over 1,600 public
schools in more than 100 cities around the country, impacting the
lives of over 1.2 million public school students.

ALL proceeds from the concert will go to Durham Public Schools!

Doors open @ 6:00pm!

=95 7P Justin Robinson (from the Carolina Chocolate Drops) and the Mary
Annettes

=95 8P Brett Harris (indie/pop/rock)
Brett Harris has come a long way from his days singing into a hand-me-
down tape recorder in his basement. In the fall of 2007 the Durham
singer-songwriter emerged from that basement with a collection of
songs and began playing shows throughout the region. With Yesterday's
News, his self- released first EP (2008) and digital EP Side Two
(2008) Brett was able to showcase his versatility as a musician as
well as a songwriter. With a series of strong press reviews and a
relentless touring schedule Brett continues to earned the respect of
fans and critics alike and prove that he is as hard-working as he is
talented.
Brett is currently working on his first full length album with
producer Jeff Crawford at Arbor Ridge studios in Chapel Hill, NC. The
album, entitled Man of Few Words, is set for release on February 23rd,
2010 and features contributions from several of the Triangle=92s most
talented musicians.

=95 9P Andy Frasco (blues/j-pop/alternative)
There is something nostalgic in his tone that no matter where he is
Andy Frasco seems right at home. From the suburbs of West Los Angeles,
the 21 year old blues musician has a drive that could steer him
straight to the moon with enough energy left over to do a little dance
once he=92s made it.

At sixteen, Frasco was managing, booking, and promoting bands in the
San Fernando Valley until one day his fidgety digits met a soulful
match with the piano. It=92s not all black and white for Frasco,
however, though his vintage style one could easily imagine resonating
off the tin walls of a phonograph.

In 2007, Frasco moved to New York and with a little help from friend
Jordan Stone independently produced, arranged, and distributed his
debut full-length album =93Growth & Progress.=94 Frasco gravitated back to
Los Angeles soon after completing the album, but it wasn=92t long before
he was asked to join the Vh1 Save the Music Foundation Tour. Frasco
gladly welcomed the opportunity to raise money promoting music
education and to encourage music awareness within public school
systems across the U.S. The tour not only provided a platform for
playing 220 shows in 360 days through 33 states, but would serve to
launch his music career across 30,000 miles.

Frasco has shared the stage with such acts as Katie Herzig, Butch
Walker, The Flobots, Spill Canvas, Suburban Legends, Nural, Ryan
Gillmor, Tyler Hilton, Berlin, and many others with more yet to come.
This year Andy Frasco plans to continue touring the country and
blazing a path which will someday carry him home.

The Broad Street Cafe - - 1116 Broad Street in Durham
www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

  • VH1 Save The Music, Jazz, Metal, Funk, Folk - - - Come Enjoy!, BSC, 12/01/2009