ch-scene - [Internationalist] TOMORROW 11/18: free old-time concert w/ Slug's Revenge!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] TOMORROW 11/18: free old-time concert w/ Slug's Revenge!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:33:39 -0500

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) Tomorrow: Slug's revenge - political old-time concert!
2) Holiday Calendars in stock!
3) New Cometbus #53 zine has arrived!

1) TOMORROW (WED 11/18, 7 PM): SLUG'S REVENGE - FREE POLITICAL
OLD-TIME CONCERT!

Currently living in Quinby, SC, Kevin Wykoff has been playing music
under the project name Slug's Revenge for about six years now. He
plays primarily educational music, covering a broad range of issues
such as militarization, environmental issues, and corporate
globalization. He also plays much of the traditional bluegrass,
country, folk and old time music he grew up on. Kevin has always had
music around him, most especially on his Dad's side, which was rooted
in southwestern Virginia. His dad played mandolin in bluegrass and old
time bands throughout Kevin's childhood, also playing the music of
protest singers such as Si Kahn and Eric Bogel. His grandmother played
guitar and his Great Grandfather the banjo. Kevin has spent extensive
time organizing political events and touring with his music. He is
using this current tour to promote a workshop about the basics of
economic globalization and democratic alternatives in towns where he
plans to present it.

Take a listen at http://www.myspace.com/slugsrevenge. See you there!

2) NEW HOLIDAY CALENDARS IN STOCK!

Here at the Internationalist we carry a wide variety of progressive
and radical-themed stuff for the holidays every year. Just this week,
several brand new calendars have arrived, so check them out! For one,
we've got the We-Moon 2010 wall calendar and datebooks:

"Published by Mother Tongue Ink, We?Moon is a co-creation of global
women's culture. Each year the We?Moon astrological datebook, wall
calendar and cards collect and integrate powerful women?s art and
writing from all over the world into a gorgeous and useful guide to
lunar rhythms, astrological cycles, deep ecology, goddess-inspired
pagan traditions, and multi-cultural, earth-based spirituality."
Check 'em out at www.wemoon.ws.

We've also got the Bread and Puppet 2010 calendar, the "Brother Marx
Money Calendar." The calendar features 12 colorful images
illuminating different aspects of the troupe's performance of
"Insurrection Masses with Funeral Marches for Rotten Ideas", a
meditation on the role of money in contemporary society in the context
of the global financial crisis. Learn more about their radical
puppetry at http://breadandpuppet.org/.

Coming soon in the next week or two, we'll have the Syracuse Cultural
Workers 2010 Peace Calendar and Nikki McClure's famous calendar as
well as her posters and cards. Come on in and check us out!

3) NEW COMETBUS #53 ZINE HAS ARRIVED!

Renowned punk 'zine writer Aaron Cometbus has just shipped us copies
of his latest issue, hot off the press - Cometbus #53. It features
collaborative writing with zinester Maddalena Polletta, retrospectives
about the Bay Area punk scene, stories about dealing with his mother's
cancer diagnosis, letters, poetry, and gorgeous cover art by graphic
novelist Nate Powell. At just $3, it's a steal! Pick up your copy
before they sell out.

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: