ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of November 11, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of November 11, 2009
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:19:53 -0500

Wednesday, November 11
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
The White Cascade (http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecascade)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

One or two glimpses of the current state of the space/instrumental art in the Triangle. Starmount have a brand-new album out, "Tyranny of the Sphere," that nicely showcases their weird pedal-steel+synth+percussion vibe.

Wednesday, November 11
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Casual Curious (http://www.myspace.com/casualcurious)
Mutant League (http://www.myspace.com/mutantleague)
The Pinhook, Durham

11:00 - The Mutant League
10:00 - Israel Darling
9:00 - Casual Curious

Thursday, November 12
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Foreign Exchange (http://www.theforeignexchangemusic.com)
The Hibernian, Raleigh

This is some kind of insane head-to-head battle of the bands between the Love Language and the Foreign Exchange, sponsored by Red Bull, and happening on the street next to the Hibernian at like 7:00 p.m. Here's the rundown, sort of:

The two bands will compete in four events: The Cover, The Takeover, The Clash and The Wild Card. The ultimate winner will be decided by the audience.

For The Cover round, each band will perform the same cover song; while during The Takeover round, one band will begin playing an original song and the other band will have to finish the second half in their own style. The Clash round has each band playing their songs in tune with [Public Enemy's] DJ Lord’s spinning, and the final round allows the band on stage to welcome a special musical guest to join its performance.

Thursday, November 12
Saint Peter Pocket Veto (http://www.myspace.com/thesaintpeterpocketveto)
Simeon
Pushy Lips (http://www.myspace.com/pushylips)
The Pinhook, Durham

11:00 - Pushy Lips
10:00 - Simeon
9:00 - St. Peter Pocket Veto

Thursday, November 12
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Gift Horse
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a release party for the brand new Lake Inferior 10", Pegasaur, which is a crazy mixed-up melange of drum-machine beats, cheesy 80s synth tones, Beach Boys harmonies, the occasional calypso melody, and god knows what-all else. What's most remarkable is that it's great, in an outer-space-dub meets A-Ha kind of way.

Thursday, November 12
Impossible Arms
Hope for a Golden Summer (http://www.hopeforagoldensummer.com/)
Pairdown (http://www.myspace.com/pairdown)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight's website said "Odessa RECORD Release PArty!!" which I'm interpreting to mean that Odessa has pressed vinyl of Impossible Arms' excellent debut, "Ripped in No Time," and that this is the celebration thereof.

Thursday, November 12
Mitch Easter (http://www.mitcheaster.com/)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
The Catch Fire
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

A match made in heaven: NC's own wall-of-jangle maestro Mitch Easter, and Chapel Hill's wall-of-hand-bells mavens Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies. It's this week's Local Bands, Local Beers.

Friday, November 13
The Beast
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

This is part of the Campus Concert Series, which means they're free, open to the public, and they start at like 5:30 p.m.

Friday, November 13
Alejandro Escovedo (http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/)
Lambchop (http://www.landlocked.net/lambchop/)
Reynolds Auditorium, Duke, Durham

Anyone who was at XXMerge this summer will tell you that Lambchop were the highlight of the whole festival, particularly that moment near the end where the whole band was riding this groove, Kurt was ranting red-faced like a pentecostal minister (standing up, even), and suddenly the whole thing twisted inside-out and became the most goddamn *perfect* "Once in a Lifetime" cover you or I or anyone had ever heard.

I've seen Lambchop 7 or 8 times by now, and I'm well aware that for the most part (with the exception of these secret/special Mergefest shows every 5 years) they've settled firmly into their stately/pastoral post-everything glacial large-chamber-band mode, and I'm actually just fine with that. Down in there somewhere it's the same energy at work.

Alejandro Escovedo is another artist who's equally at home sharing the stage with a cellist or, well, the rough equivalent of Crazy Horse.

Friday, November 13
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Satan's Youth Ministers (http://www.myspace.com/satansyouthministers)
The Humms (http://www.myspace.com/thehumms)
The Trashcans (http://www.myspace.com/atlantatrashcans)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the first night of the annual Blackbeard's Lost Weekend, which was started 5 years or so ago by the Spinns, who are themselves dearly departed, though their memory (and their members) live on in Pinche Gringo & the Dirty Little Heaters, both of whom are playing this weekend's shows (Pinche Gringo on Friday & the Heaters on Saturday). It's a garage-rock-a-rama.

Friday, November 13
Hope for a Golden Summer (http://www.hopeforagoldensummer.com/)
Golden Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/heygoldenghost)
Jookabox (http://www.myspace.com/jookabox)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, November 13
Minus the Bear (http://www.minusthebear.com/)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Twin Tigers
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 13
The Cult (http://thecult.us/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

The Cult (including some fairly large percentage of the original/classic lineup) blow through town on their "Love Live" tour, which is exactly what it purports to be: their greatest album & finest hour, in its entirety.

Friday, November 13
Times New Viking (http://www.timesnewviking.com/)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Axemen (http://www.myspace.com/nemexa)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I haven't gotten around to listening to the Times New Viking that's sitting on my hard drive. I've listened, a LOT, to Whatever Brains, however, and I'm in the 100% BELIEVER category when it comes to the WB. Arrive (and peak) early!

Friday, November 13
Da Hawnay Troof (http://www.hawnaytroof.com/)
VVAQRT
Kinoeye
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 14
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Thee Crucials (http://www.theecrucials.com/)
Rough Hands (http://www.myspace.com/roughhandsband)
The Electric Cycles (http://www.myspace.com/theelectriccycles)
Nervous Habits (http://www.myspace.com/nervoushabits)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Night Two of the annual Blackbeard's Lost Weekend garage-rock extravaganza.

Saturday, November 14
Tripp (http://www.myspace.com/trippband)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Robert Sledge and the Flashlight Assembly
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, November 14
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
Bobby's Fever (http://www.myspace.com/bobbysfever)
The Pinhook, Durham

CD-release party for the new Princess & the Criminals CD. Also featuring burlesque by Miss Mary Wanna. http://www.myspace.com/missmarywanna

Saturday, November 14
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a dual CD-release party for the new Fin Fang Foom & Ben Davis CDs, both newly out on Lovitt. The show itself is FREE.

Sunday, November 15
Anders Parker
Hallelujah the Hills (http://hallelujahthehills.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 15
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Pushy Lips (http://www.myspace.com/pushylips)
Eszett (http://www.myspace.com/eszettrock)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, November 15
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Old Bricks
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Old Bricks reminded me a bit of Grizzly Bear, but I've only seen 'em once. People keep ranting at me about their upcoming album, but I have yet to hear it.

Monday, November 16
The Dig (http://www.myspace.com/thedigisup)
The XX (http://www.myspace.com/thexx)
Jon Hopkins (http://www.myspace.com/jonhopkins)