ch-scene - [Internationalist] Sunday: Vegan Chili Cook-Off!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Sunday: Vegan Chili Cook-Off!
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:39:17 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) Sunday: Vegan Chili Cook-Off!
2) 2010 Slingshot Organizers have arrived!
3) New dirt cheap fiction sections!

1) SUNDAY: VEGAN CHILI COOK-OFF!

Join us on November 1st for what may be Carrboro's first ever all
vegan chili cook-off! This event will be held at Johnny's which is
located at 901 W. Main St. in Carrboro. YOU decide which chili is the
best. Tasting will be 4:00-6:00 p.m. and the winners announced soon
afterward. Enjoy entertainment from our local radical puppet troupe,
the Mysterious Rabbit Puppet Army
(http://www.youtube.com/user/puppetarmy), and live music from Gambling
the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse). A suggested
donation of $5 per person will go to benefit The Internationalist. The
main area at Johnny's is outdoors, and the event will be held rain or
shine.

Think you've got the best vegan chili recipe in town? There's still
time to enter, just come by The Internationalist to fill out a form or
email Jason: lout77 AT yahoo.com

2) 2010 SLINGSHOT ORGANIZERS HAVE ARRIVED!

One of our yearly favorites, the Slingshot Organizer, has just arrived
in its 2010 edition! The all-volunteer Slingshot Collective, based
out of Berkeley, CA, publishes a quarterly, independent, radical
newspaper in the East Bay since 1988. They also publish the annual
Slingshot Organizer radical calendar planner, 176 pages featuring
radical dates for every day of the year, space to write your phone
numbers, a contact list of radical groups around the globe, menstrual
calendar, info on police repression, extra note pages, plus much more.
It's available in two sizes, pocket (4.25 inches X 5.5 inches -
great radical stocking stuffer!) and spiral-bound (5.5 inches X 8.5
inches), in 22 different colors - come soon to get first dibs on your
favorite! Pick up a Slingshot Organizer and keep up with radical
history while you're keeping up with your radical present.

3) NEW DIRT CHEAP FICTION SECTIONS!

We've got a whole slew of new arrivals on the shelves, and to
accommodate them, we've got a brand new section of DIRT CHEAP FICTION!
There's an entire shelf of used novels available for just $1.99
each, and another shelf for just $2.99 per title. Some of the authors
on the bargain shelves include Tom Wolfe, Muriel Spark, Rebecca Wells,
Nicholas Evans, Richard Wright, Virginia Woolf, and dozens more; we've
also got classics, from Homer to Shakespeare to Solzhenitsyn. Even in
the midst of an economic crisis, we want you to keep reading - so
swing by the store and pick up some cheap books for autumn reading!

ONGOING EVENTS:

INTERNATIONALIST PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE
The Internationalist sponsors a program that sends free books and
literature to people incarcerated in Mississippi and Alabama. Since
2006 the Books to Prisoners collective has mailed educational
materials to thousands of prisoners, building solidarity with networks
of activists inside and out of prison agitating for justice and
alternatives to the prison system, while meeting a direct and urgent
need. There are many ways to get involved:

-Come fill requests at the weekly book-wrapping, which takes place
every Sunday from 1-4 PM at 218 N. Graham St. in Chapel Hill.

-DONATE books by dropping them off at the Internationalist!
Particularly in demand are dictionaries, thesauruses, African-American
history, culture, and fiction, self-help, Spanish language,
GED/education, and more (paperbacks only).

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: