ch-scene - Halloween HAUNTED house show in Durham - A Reminder!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Halloween HAUNTED house show in Durham - A Reminder!
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:52:49 -0400

THIS SATURDAY/HALLOWEEN I'm hosting a HAUNTED House Show at 2702 Lawndale
Ave. (a.k.a. Craig's House//Layabout House) here in spoooooky Durham, NC.
MWUAHAHAHAHH-EVIL!! (that's my onomatopoeia for an evil, sinister laugh!
BOOOO!!!)

THERE WILL BE BLOOD...AND BANDS!:

- FLOATING ACTION - are an Asheville band playing soul-flavored-indie-pop
with a bit of vintage Jamaican dub & rocksteady thrown into the mix - a.k.a.
(HAUNTED) DANCE PARTY MUSIC! They released a self-titled LP earlier this
year on the awesome Park The Van label (Dr. Dog, The Spinto Band, etc.) and
frontman/songwriter Seth Kauffman has several cool solo releases out there
as well! Music so catchy and danceable that it's FRIGHTENING!!!!
http://myspace.com/floatingaction

- THE HUGUENOTS - are UNC boys playing British Beat and 60's garage inspired
tunes, with lots of hooks and harmonies...FROM HELL!!! (scary shit, right?)
Another great party band! I expect lots of GHOULIN' (umm...BOO!) and
groovin' for their 1st ever house show!
http://myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic

- PINCHE GRINGO - is a (mostly) one-man rock'n'roll band, that man being
Josh (ex-Spinns) He plays HORRIFYINGLY catchy, fuzzy bursts of bluesy garage
rock, solo-style - and sometimes gets some help from Jimmy (of Jimmy & The
Teasers) on 2nd guitar. I'm damn excited to have him play here at the house
for the 1st time! I hear rumors that ZOMBIES LOVE PINCHE GRINGO!!!
http://myspace.com/pinchegringoband

THEN...after the bands there will be a DANCE PARTY with NORTHERN SOUL, FUNK
& GARAGE ROCK classics and rarities....from BEYOND THE GRAVE (plus maybe a
few from the 60's and early 70's...or maybe just "Monster Mash" set on
'repeat'?? OK, OK - no "Monster Mash" more than once...or perhaps twice.
Promise!) DJ Nate and myself (and maybe one or two others TBA) will be
selecting!!! 45s / mp3s / 666!!!!!!

Please bring $4-5 (suggested donation - all going to the bands!) Also feel
free to B.Y.O.B. (I'll start things off with some punch and some cheap beer
but it won't last long!) and make sure to bring yr friends!!!

Again - my house is at 2702 Lawndale Ave. in DURHAM. That's near
Hillsborough Rd. You can park curbside or at the Food Lion on Hillsborough
(2 blocks from my house.) Party time is 10PM! I know there's a a lot going
on (Duh, it's Halloween) but TRUST ME - you want to be here (and be here
EARLY for FREE DRINKS and other SURPRISES!!! Did I mention FRESH
PASTRIES??? CANDY??!!? EVILLLLLLL!!!!!???

Here's the (obviously EVIL) facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166848471976&index=1

spookily yrs,
Craig A. Layabout

P.S. BOOOOOOOOOO!

P.P.S. What should I be for Halloween? damn, I need to get on that!

  • Halloween HAUNTED house show in Durham - A Reminder!, Craig Powell, 10/27/2009