ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - Blues, Funk, Folk, Swing, Kids Band...and GREAT

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - Blues, Funk, Folk, Swing, Kids Band...and GREAT
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:20:18 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705
http://www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

Wednesday October 14
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday October 15
=95 8P Jaafar (funk fusion)
Upon returning from a six month musical exploration of the Nile River
Valley and the Sinai mountains, the vision to bring Middle Eastern /
Arabic melodies and rhythms interpreted through the voice of American
jazz became increasingly compelling. The original components of the
group began with two violins, an acoustic bass, and two
percussionists. As the magical potency of the music grew, the group
soon morphed into its present incarnation. A revolving door of
extremely talented musicians, with a willingness to push themselves
and their audience to unforeseen places, fused traditional Arabic
music, classical Indian concepts of composition, North African
rhythmic grooves, and pure American "old-school Funk" to produce the
unique soundscape that is Jaafar.
=95 10P Jasm=E9 Kelly (singer/songwriter)
Jasm=E9 began playing guitar while attending the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill where she received a degree in performance
studies. While in North Carolina she also received the Durham County
Emerging Artist Grant.
Jasm=E9 was brought into the industry by the Wyclef Jean of the
Refugee Camp, and has opened for such luminaries as George Duke,
Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Maceo Parker, Boney James,
Al Jarreau, Jonathan Butler and Peter White. The highly esteemed bass
master Anthony Jackson is even featured on two songs on her album. She
has also packed countless historic venues in New York City such as
CBGB, Caf=E9 Wha?, The Bitter End, The Village Underground, Joe's Pub
and Malik Yoba's Soul Caf=E9.
In addition to being a talented performer, Jasm=E9 is also an
accomplished songwriter, having co-written the song "Holla!" as
performed by The Baha Men (of legendary "Who Let The Dogs Out?" fame).
"Holla!" has been used internationally in: "Garfield: The Movie";
"Kicking and Screaming" (with Will Ferrell); the television shows "Las
Vegas," "Malcolm in the Middle" and "JAG"; and the video game "Beach
Volleyball: Dead or Alive"

Friday October 16
=95 8P Tad Dreis (acoustic/indie/folk)
I=92m a singer-songwriter based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I play
the guitar and harmonica and sing songs about love, human-insect envy,
kittens in trees, love, roadtrips and roadkill. I have three CDs,
which I recorded in my home studio. I wrote the songs, sang, and
played most of the instruments.
I travel quite a bit and perform maybe seventy to a hundred shows a
year at colleges and other venues. Most of the time, it=92s just me on
vocals, guitar, and harmonica. In 2008, I began playing shows with a
backup band as well.
When I=92m not on tour, I also teach guitar lessons in Carrboro, NC.
=95 10P Firehouse Rhythm Kings (swing)
The Firehouse Rhythm Kings is a swing ensemble based in Carrboro,
North Carolina and has in a short time ammassed a respectable brigade
of fans and dancers. Though the band often invites horn players to sit
in, there are only five permanent members. Joe Troop, a veteran of
multiple swing bands on 3 continents leads the band with hot fiddling,
powerhouse singing and unique compositions. Charles Cleaver plays the
piano with brute force and lush harmonies. Chris Roszell (tenor
banjo), Seth Barden (bass) and Britton Upchurch (drums) lay down a
thumping rhythmic foundation guaranteed to make you jump and jive! The
Rhythm Kings tip their hats to the past with their tedious
arrangements of swing classics, but they also showcase a nice
collection of finely-crafted compositions that traverse many musical
genres from funk to flamenco. Come see these guys live, and you'll
leave the show feeling fantastic. Swing! It just feels so good!

Saturday October 17
=95 7P Un Mundo 2nd Annual Benefit
Un Mundo is a nonprofit international development organization with a
comprehensive and revolutionary approach to its work. We are a
movement whose mission is to promote dignity, community, and self-
sufficiency while facilitating access to health care, education, and
livable wages in marginalized Honduran communities.
Join Un Mundo for a night of education, music, art, dance, raffles
and fun! Bring your friends & family and come share in the spirit of
one world!
ENTERTAINMENT: DJ Nogui Aramburo & Performances by Flamenco Carolina
Carlota! Salsa lessons starting at 7:30!
Raffle tickets are available before and at the event for the
following:
$100 for a weekend trip to Bald Head Island
$50 for a pair of Duke basketball tickets
$25 for a $50 Watts Grocery gift certificate
If you are unable to attend, WE STILL NEED YOUR SUPPORT! You do not
need to be present at the event to enter raffles or be a sponsor, so
click here and enter to win! To make a secure online contribution
visit us online at www.unmundo.org/en/howtohelp/donatebyweb or send a
check to: Un Mundo, 3531 Stoneybrook Drive, Durham, NC 27705.

Sunday October 18
=95 4:30P BSC Kids! It=92s fun and it=92s FREE! (tip jar passed)
Big Bang Boom (band)
Big Bang Boom is a power pop trio that writes and performs parent-
friendly children=92s music. The live show is high-energy, and gets the
crowd involved. From getting the kids on stage for the =93Spongebob
Chorus=94 to the parents vs. kids hokey pokey challenge =96 there is no
sitting down!
What happens when professional musicians become parents? They play
and write children's music. This is the path taken by Big Bang Boom, a
children's music group from Greensboro. After 20 years touring clubs
and playing parties, Chuck Folds (younger brother of piano rocker Ben
Folds) and Steve Williard decided to expand their horizons and play
for kids. Together with drummer Eddie Walker they have become the
parent friendly kid's rock band alternative.
Big Bang Boom is designed to give parents something else to listen
to besides Disney music and the Wiggles. There is some good quality
children's music being recorded these days. You can catch it on any
kid-friendly TV station, and now you can hear it live too.
Big Bang Boom plays some children's favorites as well as their own
original songs for kids.

=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz Jam
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9

If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705
http://www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

  • Broad Street Cafe - Blues, Funk, Folk, Swing, Kids Band...and GREAT, BSC, 10/13/2009