ch-scene - Durham House Show!! - This Sunday 9/27

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Durham House Show!! - This Sunday 9/27
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:03:13 -0400

Hey folks,

Just a reminder that I'll be hosting a pretty amazing lineup of garage rock
bands over at my house in Durham this Sunday. The address is 2702 Lawndale
Ave. Durham, near Hillsborough Rd. and the Food Lion between Hillsborough
and Main. Things will start relatively early since it's a Sunday - probably
around 8ish. Please bring $$$ for the bands ($5-6 suggested) and BYOB.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125737751589&index=1

Thomas Function are from Huntsville, AL and they play rock'n'roll better
than just about any other young band out there...They're responsible for my
favorite LP of 2008, "Celebration!" (Alive Naturalsound) and they are set to
release their follow-up on Fat Possum imminently. They also played (and
organized) one of my favorite live shows of 2008, the inaugural Bamalama
Festival in Huntsville. After having toured with King Khan & The Shrines,
Reigning Sound, etc, they're finally playing their 1st ever Triangle show
here at 2702 Lawndale!! DON'T MISS OUT!
http://myspace.com/thomasfunction

Spider Bags are serious contenders for the title of the Triangle's best
garage rock band... They just released their new LP on Birdman, "Goodbye
Cruel World, Hello Crueler World." I've been wanting to have them play here
at the house for a while and this show is the perfect fit - much like Thomas
Function, they throw in a healthy dose of country, blues and lo-fi pop with
their badass garage rock!
http://myspace.com/spiderbags

Yussuf Jerusalem are a mysterious French band whom I know next-to-nothing
about, other than that their debut full-length "A Heart Full of Sorrow" (on
the rad Florida's Dying label) is really fucking good. It veers from Black
Metal on the 1st track (no joke!) to a set of some of the catchiest
psych-pop and garage rock songs to come out of Europe in a long while. Zut
Alors!
http://myspace.com/ridersofallah

  • Durham House Show!! - This Sunday 9/27, Craig Powell, 09/25/2009