ch-scene - Durham House Shows!! - This Fri. 9/18 + Sun. 9/27

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Durham House Shows!! - This Fri. 9/18 + Sun. 9/27
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:28:09 -0400

Hey folks!

I just wanted to send out a reminder that I'll be having a late night house
show/Yo La Tengo after-party at my place in Durham (2702 Lawndale Ave.) this
Friday, 9/18!

Durham's own anti-folk superheroes Midtown Dickens will be playing! Make
sure to pick up a copy of their brand new LP "Lanterns" (at Chaz's Bull City
Records / CD Alley / Schoolkids Raleigh - or at the house show!) I guarantee
you will not regret it! http://myspace.com/midtowndickens

Also on the bill is Box Elders, a "cave pop" band from Omaha, NE. They just
released an amaaaazing LP of their own on Goner Records (Jay Reatard, King
Khan & BBQ, Reigning Sound, etc.) http://myspace.com/boxelders

The party starts at 11ish and the 1st band will start approximately 45-60
minutes after Yo La Tengo finish up over at Carolina Theatre, so you'll have
plenty of time to get to my house if you're planning on seeing both shows
(like me!) The address is 2702 Lawndale Ave. (right off of Hillsborough Rd.
near the Food Lion) only a 5 minute drive from Carolina Theatre/downtown.
You can park curbside or at the Food Lion. I'll have some cheap beer and
some spiked punch on hand but it won't last all night, so feel free to
BYOB! And please bring whatever $$ you can spare for the bands -- I
recommend a $3-5 donation. Here's the event page -- feel free to invite
friendly, music-loving people!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=121562238986&index=1

I'm also VERY excited to announce that on Sunday, 9/27 I'll have 3 of my
favorite garage bands playing here at the house!

Thomas Function are responsible for my favorite LP of 2008 - "Celebration!"
on Alive Naturalsound, and my favorite live show of 2008 (at the inaugural
Bamalama festival in their hometown of Hunstville, AL.) I can't recommend
these guys highly enough - so please do yourselves a favor and check out
this show!! They have a new LP coming out on Fat Possum (Black Keys,
Wavves, etc.) next month - I got an advance copy and the new songs sound
great! I can't wait to see them played live...
http://myspace.com/thomasfunction

Spider Bags y'all probably already know about... They're the Triangle's
finest purveyors of Southern-style garage rock and one of the best live
bands in NC (or anywhere!) I'm excited to have them play here at the house
for the first time... They have a new LP out too - "Goodbye Cruel World,
Hello Crueler World" on Birdman Records (Howlin Rain, The Warlocks, etc.)
that's surely gonna be one of the best local releases of the year!
http://myspace.com/spiderbags

Yussuf Jerusalem are from France and I'm pretty sure this is their first
U.S. tour... They have an LP on the small but amazing Florida's Dying label
that veers from black metal to psych-pop to lo-fi garage rock...I'm pretty
intrigued/excited about this one!! http://myspace.com/ridersofallah

Since this show is on a Sunday it'll start EARLY - around 8ish - so c'mon
out and rest assured you'll still get enough sleep to feel alright waking up
for work/school on Monday! I'll provide some drinks, but as per usual it's
never a bad idea to BYOB too... I'm recommending a $4-6 donation for this
show - all cash going to the bands! The address once again is 2702 Lawndale
Ave. DURHAM!
Check out the event page here, and feel free to invite anyone who you think
might dig the show!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125737751589&index=1

Yrs,
Craig Austin Layabout