ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 30, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 30, 2009
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:10:02 -0400

Sunday, August 30
DJ Nasty Boots
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Toro Y Moi (http://www.myspace.com/toroymoi)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 30
Pistolero (http://www.myspace.com/pistoleroband)
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Starmount make gorgeous swooping echoey outerspace music.

Monday, August 31
Motor Skills
Old Bricks
Sea Legs
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Old Bricks are a gtr/gtr/drums/drums duo from Carrboro; I'm told to expect great things from their upcoming recorded debut, but I haven't heard it yet. Live, their gentle melodicism & high voices couldn't help but remind me a bit of Grizzly Bear.

Tuesday, September 1
Denison Witmer (http://www.myspace.com/denisonwitmer)
Brooke Waggoner (http://www.myspace.com/brookewaggoner)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 2
Birdlips (http://www.myspace.com/birdlipsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 2
American Princes (http://www.americanprinces.com/)
Magic Mike
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Wednesday, September 2
Make
Systems
Telestrion (http://www.myspace.com/telestrion)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, September 3
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Mount Weather
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Local bands, local beers.

Thursday, September 3
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
The Pinhook, Durham

Once and Future Kings started out in Nashville a few years ago, but disbanded in 2008. Singer/guitarist Jess Edison moved to the Triangle, and has restarted the band with a whole new cadre of local players. They apparently plan to [re]release the old band's 2007 EP, "Emergent Sea," sometime this year. The EP is kinda big, lush, vaguely Radiohead-y alt-rock; I don't know what the current version of the band sounds like.

Thursday, September 3
David Dondero (http://www.futurefarmer.com/davidd.html)
Liza Kate (http://www.myspace.com/lizakate)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Dave Dondero fronted the Clemson, SC band Sunbrain back in the '90s, then (like so many other ex-Clemsonites) wound up kicking around NC for a while. Now, at least according to MySpace, he's in San Francisco, being called one of America's "best living songwriters" (top 10!) by NPR's "All Songs Considered" producer Robin Hilton, who was mystified that Joni Mitchell had made Paste's top 10. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5536035

Thursday, September 3
Jim Smith & His Tall Buildings
Pow Pow Pow (http://www.facebook.com/powpowpowband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 4
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
The Pinhook, Durham

Le Weekend used to be a sprawling, half-comprehensible 5-piece -- half artrock angularity, half Steely Dan archness. Nowadays they're a 3-piece, but it's a safe bet that hasn't made them any easier to "figure out." Note, please, that "figuring out" is *NOT* required for enjoyment.

Savage Knights are a hydra-headed beast, equally comfortable devouring the work of Dolphy, Astatqé, or the Melvins.

Friday, September 4
Jack Rose (http://www.vhfrecords.com/jackrose/)
The Black Twigs (http://www.myspace.com/blacktwigs)
Zeke Graves
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Per Nightlight, "Zeke Graves has a new acoustic guitar and vocal project inspired by two years living in a cabin by a creek in Western N.C. and delving deeper into rural fingerpicking styles of the 1920s and 30s." (Zeke was one of the masterminds behind Cold Sides, and more recently has been better known as DataHata)

Friday, September 4
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
Pour House, Raleigh

Starmount are an instrumental space/dreamscape band led by Greg Elkins (ex-Vanilla Trainwreck). Schooner & Magic Babies both make pop with sweet & bitter notes, guitars and keyboards, but there's still a universe of difference between them.

Friday, September 4
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Killer Filler are a band of longtime NC rock veterans making flat-out-awesome surf/garage/lounge instrumental music.

Friday, September 4
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
The Campaign 1984 (http://www.myspace.com/thecampaign1984)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, September 5
Brunettes ( http://www.lilchiefrecords.com/brunettes/)
Throw Me the Statue (http://www.myspace.com/throwmethestatue)
Nurses (http://www.myspace.com/nurses)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, September 5
Greg Humphreys
John Dee Holeman
Carolina Chocolate Drops (http://www.carolinachocolatedrops.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, September 5
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
The Anti-bubbles
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Some people look at Lonnie Walker and Americans in France and see a new vanguard in local music. I see a couple of great indie-rock bands with idiosyncratic singers and a willingness to fuck with the form a little. And fall down.

Saturday, September 5
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies may have begun life as a girl-group lark, all shaky vocals, ringing bells & 60s outfits . . . but something funny happened along the way, via a whole lot of practice: They've turned into a wicked psych machine. A couple of the extended freakout jams on their EP II could take the top of yr head off.

Saturday, September 5
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes (http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is billed as the Raleigh Rumble.

Sunday, September 6
Sleepy Sun (http://www.myspace.com/sleepysun)
The Strangers Family Band (http://www.myspace.com/strangersfamilyband)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sunday, September 6
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Little Gold (http://www.myspace.com/littlegoldsongs)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Aimee is off on a short solo jaunt up the east coast & back down, and this show is on the return leg, so we can make a few predictions: she'll be a little tired, a *lot* stinky, and she should have some good stories to tell between songs.

As always, the songs will be brilliant, and the little tenor guitar will be quieter than is really practical for a rockclub, even one as small as Nightlight, so shut the fuck up & listen, already.

Sunday, September 6
Weedeater (http://www.berserkerrecords.com)
Broadslab (http://www.myspace.com/broadslab)
Righteous Fool
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Wilmington's Weedeater have been making their grimy take on Southern Metal for over a decade now; here's Grayson Currin's Pitchfork review of their 2007 [Steve Albini-produced] Southern Lord album "God Luck and Good Speed." http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/10693-god-luck-and-good-speed/

Righteous Fool are the new band of original Corrosion of Conformity rhythm section Reed Mullin & Mike Dean, with Jason Browning on guitar.

Sunday, September 6
Johnny Dodge
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, September 7
Snüzzfest
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The website says: "A night of celebration of the music of our Snüzz! With appearances by members of: Tres Chicas Jeff Hart & The Ruins Squirrel Nut Zippers Hobex Simeon The Jackets Robert Sledge Band The Old Ceremony The Desmonds Plus reunion performance by International Orange and Big Kids reunites!"

Monday, September 7
Circulatory System (http://www.elephant6.com/bands/circulatory.html)
Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't (http://www.pipesyousee.com/)
Nesey Gallons (http://www.myspace.com/neseygallons)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 8
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
Rich James
Jehova's Fitness (http://www.jehovasfitness.org/)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Tuesday, September 8
Chairlift (http://www.myspace.com/chairlift)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Just posting this in case you hadn't heard that Micachu & the Shapes are *not* playing this show.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of August 30, 2009, grady, 08/30/2009