ch-scene - Old Time! Open Mic! Pop! Rock! Acoustic! Blues! Jazz! ALL FREE!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Old Time! Open Mic! Pop! Rock! Acoustic! Blues! Jazz! ALL FREE!
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

Tuesday July 28
=95 8:30P High Strung Music's Old Time Jam w/ Aaron Greenhood
Old-time music is a form of North American folk music, with roots in
the folk musics of many countries, including England, Scotland,
Ireland and Africa. This musical form developed along with various
North American folk dances, such as square dance, buck dance, and
clogging. The genre also encompasses ballads and other types of folk
songs. It is played on acoustic instruments, generally centering on a
combination of fiddle and plucked string instruments (most often the
guitar and banjo).

Wednesday July 29
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday July 30
=95 8P Gilbert Neal (pop/soul/funk/acoustic)
=95 10P The Desmonds (rock/powerpop)
We formed sometime in 1992 as Jeff Carroll & the Desmonds. Chocolate
Box was our eleven song album released in 1994 under the Accidental
label. There were some singles on a compilation or two. Now we are
back, simply as The Desmonds. Exciting, huh?

Friday July 31
=95 8P Lauren Lyle (singer/songwriter)
Hey yall, my name is Lauren Lyle and I'm an aspiring singer/
songwriter. I want more than anything to glorify God through my music,
whether it is secular or specifically Christian music. My music is
pretty much country/pop with a little acoustic influence.
=95 10P Bobby Hinton
For more than 38 years Bobby Hinton has entertained audiences all over
the world. He is a down home singer and keyboard player. When he stirs
his pot of Blues, Rock & Roll, R&B, with a heaping of country rock,
the audience is in for a musical treat. Listening to the band's
rendition of James Browns' "Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag" or Willie
Nelsons' "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" will make you ask, "Where has
Bobby been hiding all of our lives"? It's clear that Bobby is no
stranger to performing. Bobby Hinton and his band enjoy playing the
music which their audiences request. According to Bobby: "I realize
that people come out for different reasons. Some are in love, some are
looking for love, and others just come out to chill." Whatever the
reason, the band and Bobby feel it is their job to give them their
best.

August Events

Saturday August 1
=95 8P Spencer Jones
=95 10P PM Bulldozer (blues/rock/classic rock)
P.M.Bulldozer is the coming together of three talented musicians named
Pat, Ken and Post. My name is Pat Madison (hence the P.M.) and I play
guitar, sing and write the songs. Instead of going through standard
cliche bio descriptions I'll just say we are all experienced musicians
who have been on the triangle music scene for some time. The music
drifts easily from thundering rock and roll riffage to melodic hooks
to nasty blues to sublime improvisation.

Sunday August 2
=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad St. in Durham

  • Old Time! Open Mic! Pop! Rock! Acoustic! Blues! Jazz! ALL FREE!, BSC, 07/28/2009