ch-scene - stuff to do, week of July 18, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of July 18, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:37:36 -0400

Saturday, July 18
Girls Rock NC (http://www.girlsrocknc.org/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the annual showcase of Girls Rock NC band-camp participants. Girls Rock runs week-long summer-sessions for young girls in which they learn the basics of playing & songwriting, as well as other crucial peripheral skills (zine-making, etc). At the end of their week they've managed to write & rehearse at least one original song. The showcase is always a blast, and is one of my favorite things about summer in the Triangle.

Saturday, July 18
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, July 18
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
The Architects of Fear (http://www.myspace.com/thearchitectsoffear)
Big Time (http://www.myspace.com/bigtimefanpage)
The Pinhook, Durham

2:00 - Western Civ
11:00 - The Architects of Fear
10:00 - Big Time

Western Civ are a three-piece indie-rock band who put out a pretty-darn-good album, "Shower the People You Love With Gold," earlier this year. Or pretty darn good if you like Pavement mixed with touches of Sonic Youth, anyway.

Saturday, July 18
The Needles (http://www.moonrockneedles.com/)
Chrome Plated Apostles (http://www.demonbeach.com)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Boozy garage-rock of various levels of scuzzy debauchery (and from various points around NC). Metaphorically speaking, if the Dirty Little Heaters are booze and weed, then the Chrome Plated Apostles are coke, and The Needles . . .

Saturday, July 18
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
The Toddlers (http://www.myspace.com/thetoddlersmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Transportation are the Triangle's own weird longstanding 70s glam+softrock revivalists. They love Wings & Queen, and on record they're not above a full-tilt piano ballad or two, though onstage they're much more straight-ahead rock-n-roll.

Sunday, July 19
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The latest Kingsbury Manx album, "Ascenseur Ouvert!" is every bit as lush, deliberate and gorgeous as their previous 4, which is a tall order, as they're all pretty drop-dead beautiful.

Sunday, July 19
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Nesey Gallons (http://www.myspace.com/neseygallons)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, July 19
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Estrogen Highs (http://www.myspace.com/estrogenhighs)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spider Bags take their drunken Stonesy blooz-rock right up to the brink of total collapse, then push it so far past that point that it's difficult to discern how they're even able to stand upright, let alone play. It's amazing, both physically & artistically.

Sunday, July 19
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Lions (http://www.myspace.com/lionstheband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Grappling Hook make thick pulsing gtr-and-organ-driven space-rock that seems to emanate from the same basic region of the galaxy as those perfect classic very-early-70s Deep Purple records.

Monday, July 20
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Martin Bisi (http://www.myspace.com/theendcredits)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Curtains of Night you know about: they make a goddamn massive wall of crashing sound, despite being just a duo, and a skinny one at that.

Martin Bisi has been on the NY downtown music scene for nearly 30 years, and has produced or engineered records by folks like John Zorn, Cop Shoot Cop, Swans, Sonic Youth (Sister and EVOL!), etc. His own music, at least based on the MP3s I just downloaded, runs the gamut from big booming echoey distorted-vox stuff that seems in line with what you'd expect, given his resume, all the way to weird, jokey, almost TMBG-nerdy pop.

Tuesday, July 21
Magnolia Electric Co. (http://www.secretlycanadian.com/secretlycanadian/songsohia/)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Donkeys
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 21
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Three Days in Vegas (http://www.myspace.com/threedaysinvegas)
The Pinhook, Durham

Wednesday, July 22 - Saturday, July 25
XXMerge (http://www.mergerecords.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Hey guess what, I doubt you've heard this already, but apparently Merge Records are 20 years old, which is like 4700 in indie-label years.

Actually, I bet you have heard that already. I didn't even write that last bit; I cribbed it off a nicely-illustrated article about Merge that I found after overturning a mossy rock out in the courtyard.

I'm not going to go into any real detail about these shows, because (a) they sold out in about 15 minutes, and (b) Merge coyly refuses to divulge the names of the bands playing each night. Cheeky buggers! This last bit has got a whole bunch of people bent out of shape, which is kinda funny in light of that earlier bit about them selling out in 15 minutes.

Wednesday, July 22
Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players (http://www.slideshowplayers.com/)
The Billy Carter Band
Lady Blanche (http://www.myspace.com/ladyblanchemusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Trachtenburgs, whom I stopped paying attention to a few years ago when they played a show at the Cradle for like $20 a ticket, are still plugging away (side note: this show's like $10, so apparently I wasn't the only one who balked at the higher price-point). There's an interview with dad Jason in the Charlotte Observer, in which he says "There's more viable art in Miley (Cyrus) and the Jonas Brothers than in indie band A. B. or C. (The Jonases have) more integrity than most alternative music . . . They're trying to put on a good show. When you can't tell the difference between the band and the cleanup crew, you need to reassess what's going on onstage."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/312/story/835296.html

Wednesday, July 22
Whale Watchers (http://www.myspace.com/thewhalewatchers)
This Piano Plays Itself (http://www.myspace.com/thispianoplaysitself)
The Pinhook, Durham

Wednesday, July 22
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Cheer Up Charlie (http://www.myspace.com/cheerupcharlierocks)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 23
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

This show takes place at around 5:00 p.m. in the parking lot in front of the Cradle & ArtsCenter, part of a monthly series that's happening all summer long. Admission is free, but there's some $5-donation wristband that'll enable you to buy beer, as well as food from the restaurants who also share the parking lot, Amante & the Q-Shack.

The bands offer two decidedly different takes on indie-rock: Embarrassing Fruits remind pretty much everyone who hears them of the golden age of American indie-rock, circa '94, while Free Electric State's loud guitars & echoey female vox are a little more noisy-British-invasion (JAMC, MBV, etc).

Thursday, July 23
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, July 23
Benji Hughes (http://www.myspace.com/benjihughes)
Simeon
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 23
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
Bright Young Things
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Another in the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers series. Lemming Malloy are a steampunk band who sound a lot like their immediate precursors, Eyes to Space. Kinda nerdy prog-inflected pop with keyboards, guitars & nasally vocals.

Thursday, July 23
Yohimbe (http://www.myspace.com/partywithyohimbe)
flushio=0 (http://adrianlikins.com/music)
M.E.E.B.S. (http://www.myspace.com/hesadweeb)
War Hands (http://www.myspace.com/warhandsnoise)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a 919Noise showcase.

Thursday, July 23
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Stars Explode (http://www.myspace.com/thestarsexplode)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

P-o-p from a couple of bands who happily give Badfinger the respect they deserve.

Thursday, July 23
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Strange Attractors
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Denim-jacketed rock-n-roll featuring the most charismatic frontman in town, hands-down.

Thursday, July 23
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
This Piano Plays Itself (http://www.myspace.com/thispianoplaysitself)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, July 24
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

These shows at Sadlacks take place in the early-mid-evening, so you'll still have plenty of time to hit at least one other show of yr choice.

Friday, July 24
Snakes Are We All
Ghost Cats of the South
Mamoona All Alone
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is a benefit for BCHQ/Durham Bike Co-op.

Friday, July 24
Steve Howell & The Lonesome Teardrops
Papa Mojo's Roadhouse, Durham

Steve Howell used to sling a mean Telecaster in both the Backsliders and the $2 Pistols; the Lonesome Teardrops are his own honky-tonk band.

Friday, July 24
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 24
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Dielectrics
The Strange Attractors
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Richard Bacchus is a rock-n-roll elf, a strange sneering grinning little man who somehow manages to channel just enough David Johansen to be hugely entertaining.

Friday, July 24
The Hellblinki Sextet (http://hellblinki.com/)
The Slow Poisoner (http://www.myspace.com/slowpoisoner)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

In addition to the cryptic post-apocalyptic gypsy/cabaret music of Hellblinki Sextet, this is another Nightlight steampunk "Clockwork Ball," so bust open that old wind-up alarm clock, and bust out yr hot-glue gun.

Friday, July 24
Stone Fox
Monty Warren and the Friggin Whatevers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, July 25
Portastatic (http://www.portastatic.com)
Radar Brothers (http://www.mergerecords.com/bands/radar/bio.html)
Matt Suggs (http://www.mattsuggs.com/)
Tenement Halls (http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?band_id=105)
The Music Tapes (http://www.orbitinghumancircus.org/)
Orange County Social Club, Carrboro

This is a free outdoor show on the patio behind OCSC, part of the extended XXMerge festivities.

Saturday, July 25
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Steadham (http://www.myspace.com/frankhazard)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, July 25
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Saint Solitude
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Gray Young are smeary gauzy echoey shoegaze revivalists. Veelee are a new minimalist boy/girl pop duo including Matt Park (ex-Opening Flower Happy Bird).

Sunday, July 26
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Sunday, July 26
American Music Club (http://www.exitproductions.com/amc/)
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
She & Him (http://mergerecords.com/artists/sheandhim)
UNC Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill

The last night of XXMerge moves a few miles east into UNC's renovated Memorial Hall. There *are* still tickets available for this show.

Sunday, July 26
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Saint Solitude
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 27
Pistil (http://myspace.com/pistilband)
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
Doomstar (http://www.myspace.com/doomstarmusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 27
Jason Kutchma
BJ Barham
Matthew Schwartz
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is billed as "Magic Monday" because in between sets by the frontmen of Red Collar, American Aquarium, and Pacifico, there will be feats of prestidigitation by Magician Michael Casey.

Tuesday, July 28
Casper and the Cookies (http://www.casperfandango.com/)
Everything Now! (http://www.everythingnowmusic.com/)
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)