ch-scene - Re: Mergefest schedule

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Mergefest schedule
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:27:48 -0400

Fully 3% of each of those tweets was "1994" -- if a conspiracy, not a very watertight one! A friend asked if I had 'em, and I dug them out of the archives of this very mailing list. Ha!

Mergefest was July 1994. Lambchop's first Merge single, "Nine/Moody Fucker" was February 1994. Their second, "Soaky in the Pooper," was July 1994. The first album (the one Grealey references) was September 1994.

I don't have the classic Tim Ross/Cy Rawls 100% show recall, but I doubt they played the Cradle before Mergefest, given the logistics of hauling 14+ people from Nashville & the paucity of releases before then.

The Lambchop Total Soul Experience didn't really fully manifest itself until the Thriller era, circa 1996, and then evolved over the next couple of albums (What Another Man Spills & Nixon). The show I remember most clearly & with fondest memories is actually the M10K show in Summer '99. Of course, I also have it on video, so I suppose that helps with the recall. But it featured the huge lineup (the band plus local ringers) and the Mayfield & Al Green covers, etc.

Ross

Todd Morman wrote:
So gads just Twatted the schedule for the three nights of the 1994 Mergefest, fooling me for a minute into thinking I had breaking news about this month: http://twitter.com/rossgrady/status/2643977664

*shakes fist at gads*

Anyway, tangentially, can anyone tell me what album it was that Lambchop was touring in support of when they made their first appearance at the Cradle? I remember loving that show so much it hurt and can't remember which album I should buy to relive the magic.

todd it was the algreeniest morman