ch-scene - Durham house show on Saturday! Waumiss + Polynya + Venice is Sinking

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Durham house show on Saturday! Waumiss + Polynya + Venice is Sinking
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:40:26 -0400

Hey folks,

It's been a long time since my last house show and I'm excited to finally
have a summertime party coming up THIS SATURDAY, July 11th!

My house is at 2702 Lawndale Ave. in Durham (a block from the Food Lion on
Hillsborough Rd.) and you can park curbside.

Music should start around 10ish. The show is free but donations are
encouraged, and I'll be providing some beer/booze for folks that arrive
early (but you're also encouraged to BYOB!)

There are 3 rad bands on the bill:

Venice is Sinking, from Athens, GA are on tour behind their recently
released LP, "AZAR." They play lush, mellow indie-pop for fans of Mojave 3,
Yo La Tengo or
Low. http://myspace.com/veniceissinking

The other 2 bands you probably already know about if you're on this list!:

Waumiss is the Carrboro husband-wife duo of Clarque (Kingsbury Manx) and
Caroline (Shallow Be Thy Name). Thurston Moore and Byron Coley say (in
Arthur Magazine): "Mixing concrete collage action with dub texture and the
raw power of Christian pop (without the Christianity), Waumiss make days a
little sunnier whether you like it or not." http://myspace.com/waumiss

Polynya say: "We play out, we play in, and if we find something mutually
satisfying, we record it. While typically adverse to comparing ourselves to
other artists, we are known to enjoy Can, Wire, Boards of Canada, Augustus
Pablo and Pere Ubu and many more too numerous to name."
http://myspace.com/polynyapolynya

Here's the Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=93287244295

Hope you can make it!
Craig P.

  • Durham house show on Saturday! Waumiss + Polynya + Venice is Sinking, Craig Powell, 07/07/2009