ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE MUSIC! Robert Cray Ticket Giveaway!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE MUSIC! Robert Cray Ticket Giveaway!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 06:54:33 -0700 (PDT)

Wednesday July 8
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam
Come out to the Blues Jam every other Wednesday sponsored by Continuum
Consulting Services. Butch Haas will be facilitating this free-to-the-
public jam. So bring your gear, sign up for a time, and jam with some
of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard, bass, guitar and harp amps
provided.

Thursday July 9
=95 8P Robert Fergusson
=95 10P Tad Dreis Band (acoustic/indie/folk)
I=92m a singer-songwriter based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I play
the guitar and harmonica and sing songs about love, human-insect envy,
kittens in trees, love, roadtrips and roadkill. I have three CDs,
which I recorded in my home studio. I wrote the songs, sang, and
played most of the instruments.

Friday July 10
=95 8P Devon McClive (indie/folk)
=95 10P The Crossover Blues Band
Anchored in the tradition of Texas & Chicago Blues, they roll like a
freight-train into rip-roarin, hi-energy, classic blues jams emulating
the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ top & Al Collins.
Right when you think you got em' figured out, they slide right into
an Aretha Franklin tune & a neck-snappin' Rock-a-billy piece from the
Stray Cats.
Two smokin' lead guitar players, delta-blues harp, fat organ,
several vocalists & a slammin' rhythm section...one of the best band's
I've seen live!
If you're lucky, they just might drop a tune or two unplugged
conjuring an intimate energy more common on a street corner in Memphis
in the 40's.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a band cover this much ground.
-Mosley Sarsippius Jackson
The After Hours Review

Saturday July 11
=95 8P Skeedaddle (swing/acoustic/hawaiin)
Skeedaddle is a four piece acoustic string band that plays 20s and 30s
swing, Hawaiian, jump blues, jug band and other roots Americana music
with the intensity of a vaudevillian volleyball troupe. You have to
see this group to appreciate this group - - - a great time...and if
you like to dance, well, you're in luck!
=95 10P Please Welcome (rock/jam band/folk)
The band could be considered Jammy jazz-rock with a hint of folk and
has a wide spectrum of influences ranging from Dave Matthews Band,
Phish, John Mayer, Allman Brothers to Neil Young, Bela Fleck and the
Flecktones, Led Zeppelin, Darth Vader and maybe even Indiana Jones.
The name Please Welcome was originally a joke between long time band
mates, guitarist and singer Craig Williamson and drummer Justin
Richardson. The joke-name existed so that venues could hypothetically
state, =93Please Welcome, Please Welcome=94. The name seemed unique enough
and the idea stuck. Within the last few months, Please Welcome has
added long time friends and new faces such as Brandon Clendenin on
bass, Adam Hill on saxophone, Katie Garrett on backup vocals and piano
and Casey Markham on lead electric guitar and mandolin.

Sunday July 12
=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz
Starting at 7, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

Robert Cray Concert Ticket Giveaway Announcement
The Broad Street Cafe will be giving away three pairs of tickets for
the Thursday, July 23rd Robert Cray Band concert at Cary's Koko Booth
Ampitheater!

Yes, I said "giving them away"...this is not a raffle.

Concert Info:
Robert Cray Band w/ special guests Shemekia Copeland and Mel Melton &
The Wicked Mojos
Thursday, July 23rd at Cary's Koko Booth Ampitheater
http://www.boothamphitheatre.com/concerts.htm

How do you enter to win?

You need to show up to the Sunday night jazz jam which starts at
7:30pm and put your name into the drawing for tonight's tickets. At
the first set break, we will draw for the three pairs to be given
away. YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN.

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street

  • Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE MUSIC! Robert Cray Ticket Giveaway!, BSC, 07/07/2009