ch-scene - The Broad Street Cafe - Lots of GREAT FREE Music!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: The Broad Street Cafe - Lots of GREAT FREE Music!
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

Tuesday June 16
=95 8P we are trees (Melodramatic Popular Song/Acousmatic/Tape Music)

Wednesday June 17
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday June 18
=95 8P Bobby Hinton (blues/r&b/rock)
For more than 38 years Bobby Hinton has entertained audiences all over
the world. He is a down home singer and keyboard player. When he stirs
his pot of Blues, Rock & Roll, R&B, with a heaping of country rock,
the audience is in for a musical treat. Listening to the band's
rendition of James Browns' "Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag" or Willie
Nelsons' "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" will make you ask, "Where has
Bobby been hiding all of our lives"? It's clear that Bobby is no
stranger to performing. Bobby Hinton and his band enjoy playing the
music which their audiences request. According to Bobby: "I realize
that people come out for different reasons. Some are in love, some are
looking for love, and others just come out to chill." Whatever the
reason, the band and Bobby feel it is their job to give them their
best.
=95 10P The Crossover Blues Band
Anchored in the tradition of Texas & Chicago Blues, they roll like a
freight-train into rip-roarin, hi-energy, classic blues jams emulating
the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ top & Al Collins.
Right when you think you got em' figured out, they slide right into
an Aretha Franklin tune & a neck-snappin' Rock-a-billy piece from the
Stray Cats.
Two smokin' lead guitar players, delta-blues harp, fat organ,
several vocalists & a slammin' rhythm section...one of the best band's
I've seen live!
If you're lucky, they just might drop a tune or two unplugged
conjuring an intimate energy more common on a street corner in Memphis
in the 40's.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a band cover this much ground.
-Mosley Sarsippius Jackson
The After Hours Review

Friday June 19
=95 8P Steve Jack (acoustic/americana/folk rock)
Steve has been performing in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC area
for over twenty years. During that time Steve has played at many of
the areas well known venues. Those include; The Cat=92s Cradle, Six
String Caf=E9 & Music Hall, The Berkley Caf=E9, Ninth Street Bakery, The
Arts Center in Carrboro, The Backstreet Pub in Beaufort and others. In
addition, Steve has appeared in various formats at The Festival for
the Eno, Apple Chill, Centerfest in Durham, The Beaufort Music
Festival, West Virginia Homecoming Concert, among others.
=95 10P The Will McBride Group (jazz/pop/funk)
The Will McBride Group is a guitar-based jazz trio that presents a
truly unique blend of jazz, edgy funk/pop and Latin stylings, full of
rich color-chording, impressive melodic solo and vocal work, all
supported with superb rhythmic backing. Over fifty years of collective
stage experience coupled with performing together for five years as a
unit makes the WMG one of the most polished, and sought-after trios in
the area. The WMG endeavours to cover music that requires top-notch
musicianship while it "satisfies your cool side...and moves your
backside!!" Imagine Steely Dan meets Antonio Carlos Jobim meets Wes
Montgomery meets Stevie Wonder!
In addition to performing over 100 shows over the past two years,
the members of The Will McBride Group are veteran performers with over
50 years of collective stage experience, having shared the stage with
members of touring groups such as:
James Brown, The Godfather of Soul
Joey DeFrancesco
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
Derek Trucks Band
Nantucket
Latin Grammy Saxophonist David Sanchez
Duke's John Brown Quintet

Saturday June 20
=95 8P Jimmy Brown (neo-soul/folk rock/lyrical)
Just because we're sleep walking doesn't meaning we're not doing
something, just because we're doing something doesn't mean we're not
sleep walking. Poet Adrian Rice & musician Jimmy Brown both sleep-
walked as boys or so they've been told. Brown attempted to Peter Pan
from his bedroom window while Rice regularly planted flowers behind
the late night family television set.
Somnaumbulance is fine, even sometimes healthy for those that are
asleep but it is a deadly disease for the living. We live in an age in
which all to often we seem to be sleep walking our way through a
marketers nursery full of technological toys, cell phones, myspace,
ipod, youtube, facebook, the fast food language of the TV...
=95 10P Black Dog Syndrome (rock/swing)
Grown from rock, swing, and blues roots, Black Dog Syndrome plays all
original music that has been called "provocative and intense." New
album of high-energy rockers, "gotta dance" swing songs, and sultry
ballads, written by Kirk Ridge and produced by John Hanks and Mitch
Easter, engineered by Mitch Easter at Fidelitorium Studio, scheduled
for April 2009 release.
=95 11:30P Barefoot Blue (rock/blues/funk/soul)
We,re a band out of Timberlake, NC lookin' to come out to your place
and have some fun! We have quite the collection of musicians. We got
John Wrenn on drums, Formerly of The Coulters and Fabulous Hot Dog
Daddy-o, and can be seen currently with Power Glide. We got Mike Hale
on guitar/bass from Hot Possum, Persuasion, and also The Coulters. We
got Chris Crowder on guitar, keeper of the Sonic Playland Studios, and
blues guitar. We got Alan Wilson on guitar/bass , once a member of
Bobby Z & the Impalas and currently with Individually Twisted. AND we
got Kim Wilson on vocals, one time member of Seph & the Sifters and
the afore mentioned Impalas, also a current member of Individually
Twisted.

Sunday June 21
=95 7P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz
Starting at 7, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street in Durham

  • The Broad Street Cafe - Lots of GREAT FREE Music!, BSC, 06/16/2009