ch-scene - fye at cary crossroads: 50% off everything sale

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: fye at cary crossroads: 50% off everything sale
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:02:32 -0500

Found out earlier this afternoon that the fye music/movie/etc store at Cary's Crossroads Plaza is closing; they started their final 'everything must go' sale last Sunday, with everything, used and new, 50% off. At first I was mad at my coworker for not telling me sooner, but after going tonight, I'm glad I didn't go sooner because I would have found way too much good stuff. It did look picked over, but there's still lots of TV-on-DVD sets and tons of good music there. I refused to let my Netflix self buy movies, which helped, but snagging a sealed copy of the Nick Cave Aussie western 'The Proposition' for $5 was serious temptation.

Still, I got Tonight's The Night, Exile on Main Street, Mingus Ah Um, Straight No Chaser, Forever Changes, Elvis at Sun, Leroy Jenkins, Art Pepper, Ann Peebles and more, all but one under $6.50 and all new. The best, though, was the stunningly gorgeous i-can't-fucking-believe-i-haven't-heard-this-before Rosemary Clooney/Duke Ellington Orchestra gem 'Blue Rose' for $3. I can't count the number of times my jaw dropped and chills ran down my spine as I listened to it tonight. I actually stopped after track 7 to extend the process of savoring it. Just a marvelous, evocative collaboration, made more amazing by the fact that a pregnant Clooney sang in LA with Strayhorn's guidance after the Orchestra had recorded the music tracks in Chicago. If I hadn't read the notes I never would have believed it.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along: the fye at Crossroads is now 50% off everything.

todd batteries and DVD-Rs too morman