ch-scene - Our 1st winter show..."Hungry Ghost"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Paperhand Puppet <donovan AT paperhand.org>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Our 1st winter show..."Hungry Ghost"
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:08:46 -0500

Hello Dear Friends of Paperhand,
1st- Let me tell you we love you all and thank you for your continued support.
2nd- R.I.S.E. or Rising Appalachia, an amazingly awesome
soul-sister-funk-oldtime-hip hop-celtic-ryhthm-roots-sound experience will
play the Open Eye Cafe on Thurs. Dec. 18th @ 8. Read more on their page...
www.myspace.com/risingappalachia Check it out!
3rd- We, http://www.paperhand.org/, have a new show in the
works(for mature audiences), and we are very excited! We are cutting mad
shadows and creating masks and marionettes to present a show this winter
unlike any you've seen from us.
You can find all the details below....

Paperhand Puppet Intervention
and
Theatre of Moving Objects
presents

"Hungry Ghost"
A shadowy tale of the insatiable human condition.

Weaving styles of puppetry together from masks & shadows to marionettes &
bunraku, this colaborative work explores the hellish realms of these darkly mysterious
beings. The Hungry Ghost is found in Buddhist traditions throughout Asia (and the world
in myriad forms.) Hungry Ghosts are the unfortunate souls of greedy or miserly people
who then pay dearly and suffer greatly in the afterlife. Our tale is spun in ancient and
modern times, inticing us all to contemplate our own desires & humanity.
Warning: This show is intended for mature audiences!
Which means... scary, strange and sexual content. You were warned.

"Hunry Ghost " will be preformed over 5 weekends in 3 locations; so, please
read carefully to find out when and where you can see this original work.
Jan. 14th thru the 24
http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/271/
Theater in Durham.
TICKETS: $17 Fri/Sat/Sun; $12 Wed/Thur; $5 min. Jan 14
Season Vouchers accepted for all shows.
Student Rush door tickets all shows: $8 cash or check with student i.d.
Tickets available on line at
http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/271/ or 919.682.3343
Shows start at 8:15, with a matinee on Sun Jan. 18th.

Jan. 30 & 31, Feb. 1, 6, 7, & 8
http://www.paperhand.org/ourspace.htm
Shows start at 8.
Tickets are $15 (suggested donation) available only at the door.

March 19, 20, 21, & 22
http://www.artscenterlive.org/index.php?a=Theatre&b=The%20Season
in Carrboro in The Earl Wynn theater.
Ticket info and reservations click above link.

These are some of thee most intricate paper-cuts and graphic striking images
we have made. We hope to see you there!

Would like to make a tax-deductible donation to support Paperhand in our new
space? Great!
Simply make a check out to "The Saxapahaw Community Chest" and send it to
them at 1616 Jordan Dr, Saxapahaw, NC 27340.
We need your help to keep puppetry alive and thriving in the triangle.
Please send any amount, if you can,to the above address.
Write Paperhand in the memo line or add a note if you like.
Thank you all so much again and happy winter to all.
with much love and respect,
Donovan and Jan

  • Our 1st winter show..."Hungry Ghost", Paperhand Puppet, 12/13/2008