ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 14, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 14, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:01:58 -0500

Friday, November 14
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Bull City Syndicate (www.myspace.com/bullcitysyndicate)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, November 14
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Sammies are from Charlotte & they've just released their second album, a big-sounding commercial-radio-ready amalgam of southern rock & 80s Britpop. Huguenots are a newish band from Chapel Hill who're still worming their way out from under the Beatles. The Magic Babies are a hooky-as-shit rockband who start at Badfinger/Small Faces & work their way home from there.

Friday, November 14
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, November 15
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, November 15
Senryu (http://www.senryutheband.com/)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
Oyster Destroyster
The Pinhook, Durham

The Pinhook is Durham's newest bar / live-music venue, up in the 100 block of West Main, right next door to the Marvell Event Center. Full bar, nonsmoking inside (swank back patio for the smokers), loungey seating up front, stage out back, and some vintage arcade games to boot.

Lemming Malloy are what happens when the majority of the members of Eyes To Space re-form as a Steampunk band. Which is to say that they still write kinda-catchy, kinda-nerdy pop music, but now they have big muttonchop sideburns and goggles, and the homemade keytar has been kitted out with elaborate scrollwork and brass fittings.

Sequence, as listed on the Pinhook's site:

12:00 Lemming Malloy
11:00 Senryu
10:00 Veronique Diabolique
With intermitent sets by local fave Oyster Destroyster!

Saturday, November 15
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

It's the Coffeehouse, so BYO whatever-you-need. Cheap red wine for the Dirty Little Heaters, beer & bennies for the Loners, and some kinda godawful mixture of crack & drain cleaner for the Spider Bags. This is a record-release show for the DLH's new 7-inch, "Fatty Don't Feel Good."

Saturday, November 15
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Future Islands are a crazy bearded synth-pop band who used to be from Greenville but subsequently relocated to Baltimore. I think Lonnie Walker is still from Greenville; he makes countryish rockish music that sorta zigzags between Dylan and Pavement. He has a good bass player, too.

Saturday, November 15
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Arizona
The Cave, Chapel Hill

A Rooster for the Masses just released a new CD, but I haven't heard it (despite actually making a trip to Chaz's to look for it). I assume it's a big political dance-pop-rocky explosion.

Saturday, November 15
Hell Razor (http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc)
Edward Teach
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 15
Pacific Before Tiger
Darsombra (http://darsombra.com/)
Ala Muerta
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 16
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Dry Heathens are from Durham; they make a kinda boozy/Replacementsy (uh, same thing) rockmusic that actually runs the gamut from loping country-rock to full-bore punkrock bursts. Their state-of-the-nation song "Splendid Little War" is one of my favorite songs of the past couple of years, and goes a long way towards making up for the comparative paucity of good political punkrock 'round here (at least compared to the '80s, anyway).

We'll get underway at 4:00 p.m., and you can tune in at 88.7 FM or online at wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 16
Black Sheep (http://www.myspace.com/blacksheep)
Nice & Smooth (http://www.myspace.com/niceandsmooth)
Orgone (http://www.myspace.com/orgonemusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, November 16
Legendary Shack*Shakers (http://www.cockadoodledont.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Monday, November 17
Shesha (http://www.subscapeannex.com/shesha)
MG3 (http://www.myspace.com/mietekglinkowskijazzensemble)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I lifted this from Shannon Morrow's website:

"Shesha (a hundred-headed naga of coiling electroacoustic double bass. Initially inspired by Ouroboros, Shesha is named for the world serpent in the Vedic tradition. ) w/ MG3 (avant jazz featuring Mietek G on vitar, Christopher Thurston on double bass, Shannon Morrow on percussion, and adding Juditta Musette and her soaring vocalizations for this show)"

Monday, November 17
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Chuck Hughes' Hillbilly Hellcats (http://www.myspace.com/hillbillyhellcats)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 18
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (http://www.myspace.com/lildinos)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 18
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Mighty Zorgon (http://www.myspace.com/mightyzorgon)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I just spent 20 minutes listening to Jokes & Jokes & Jokes on their MySpace page, and I have to say, there's something happening there. No idea what it is, but something.

Tuesday, November 18
Grails (http://www.myspace.com/grailsongs)
Silver Apples (http://www.myspace.com/sapples)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 18
Man Will Destroy Himself
Javelina (http://www.myspace.com/javelinaphiladelphia)
RBT
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Wednesday, November 19
Skywire (http://www.myspace.com/skywire)
Pistil (http://myspace.com/pistilband)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, November 19
Anne McCue (http://www.annemccue.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Near as I can tell, Anne McCue is some kind of Aussie cross between Bonnie Raitt and Lucinda Williams, and is apparently revered to that degree in her native land. Or so YouTube would have me believe.

Wednesday, November 19
Rafter (http://myspace.com/rafterroberts)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Website sez: "Dance Party to the sounds of Asthmatic Kitty Records artist Rafter"

Wednesday, November 19
Amy Ray (http://www.daemonrecords.com/beta/amy/amy.html)
Jennifer O'Connor (http://www.jenniferoconnor.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Amy Ray's backing band on this tour includes former Butchies Melissa York and Kaia Wilson.

Wednesday, November 19
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Rosewood Thieves
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Wednesday, November 19
Sean Hoots & Hellmouth (http://www.myspace.com/seanhoots)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 19
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Teh Vodak features Ben Donnelly (ex-Blackstrap) and Betsy Shane (Pink Flag), which pretty much guarantees freaky icepick-style punkrock. I hope.

Wednesday, November 19
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 20
Whale Watchers (http://www.myspace.com/thewhalewatchers)
Bright Young Things
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the latest in WKNC/Tir Na nOg's "Local Bands, Local Beers" series.

If one were to go to the Whale Watchers' MySpace page and listen to only "Pretty Money," one might be forgiven for thinking them a wee bit Hold Steady-ish. Listen to the rest of the tracks, though, and the net is catchy indie-rock with a definite Pavement vibe.

Thursday, November 20
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
My Radio
Pour House, Raleigh

The Old Ceremony are far more exhilarating live than they are on record. The CDs are [overly] precise, and Django's arch, hyperliterate lyrics come across as a bit precious as a result.

Live, things get sloppy in a good way (with 6-7 people onstage at once, they're bound to), and the crescendos (and Mark Simonsen's frantic vibraphone flailing) underline how Django's seemingly-smug characters are really just telling stories, to us and to themselves, in an attempt to quell their inner panic & exert some control over the chaos.

Thursday, November 20
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, November 21
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These shows kick off right at 5:00 p.m, which times out just right if you're a disgruntled Duke employee (or can sneak away from work a little early). Embarrassing Fruits are a power trio working in the classic '90s indie-rock mode. Dry Heathens are a Replacementsy rockband. Schooner are harder to describe: their first impression is of kinda-croony pop music, but that quickly gives way to an undercurrent of weirdness that's always threatening to well up & overwhelm the pop with something far freakier.

Friday, November 21
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a dual CD-release for both Butterflies and Physics of Meaning.

Friday, November 21
Man Will Destroy Himself
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Hatchetface (http://www.myspace.com/hatchetfacephilly)
The Pinhook, Durham

Tooth are moving rapidly beyond "best metal band in Durham" in the direction of "one of the best metal bands I've ever seen." And I saw Ronnie James Dio in '85.

Friday, November 21
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Mike Posner & the Brain Trust (http://www.myspace.com/mikeposner)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 21
Impossible Hair (http://www.myspace.com/impossiblehair)
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 21
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Rocket Cottage
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Double Negative are phenomenal, at once totally hardcore and yet something wholly other as well. I wonder whether the sense of desperation that pervades everything they do will have eased any since the election . . . then again, it's not like we're any less FUCKED now than we were two weeks go.

Saturday, November 22
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a CD-release party for both Pink Flag & the Homewreckers. Homewreckers moved here from down east somewhere, but I haven't seen them yet. Pink Flag are an all-woman punkrock band who seem equally willing to churn out catchy pop choruses or abrasive avant-punk a la Raincoats or Au Pairs. I really enjoyed their set at Troika last weekend.

Saturday, November 22
Mates of State (http://www.matesofstate.com)
Brother Reade
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, November 22
Hank Sinatra (http://www.hank-sinatra.com/)
Steve Howell & The Lonesome Teardrops
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Steve Howell used to play guitar & sing in the Backsliders; after they split up, he held down the guitar duties in the $2 Pistols for a while. Now that he fronts his own outfit, he's playing classic country in a more straightforward manner than either of those other two bands.

Saturday, November 22
Neil Halstead
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 22
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is an album-release party for the new Lud album, "V," their fifth. It's awesome (of course), and more importantly, I was reminded again last night, within 15 seconds of the start of their set, that they're easily one of the best bands in the Triangle. Moreso now that they've corralled Sara Bell into becoming a full-time member of the band. Don't miss this show.

Saturday, November 22
Razpa (http://www.myspace.com/razpamusic)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 22
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Night of the Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/nightofthewolfmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Swinging back around on the return leg of their fall tour, Caltrop and Curtains of Night should be battle-hardened and extra-massive.

Sunday, November 23
Edie Sedgwick (http://www.ediesedgwick.biz/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Sunday, November 23
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Br'er (http://www.myspace.com/brrer)
The End of the World (http://www.myspace.com/theendoftheworld)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 23
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is a birthday bash for Triangle blogger/rockstar/fan Karen A. Mann.

Monday, November 24
A. A. Bondy (http://www.myspace.com/aabondy)
The Dogwood Deddy (http://www.reverbnation.com/thedogwooddeddy)
Local 506, Chapel Hill