ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of October 31, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of October 31, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:25:12 -0400

The big news of the week, obviously, is the Troika Music Festival: http://www.troikamusicfestival.com/

Friday, October 31
Jeff Hart
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

It's Jeff Hart's birthday, so he's playing a rockshow. Sez Jeff:

i am truly at a loss as to why it's been decades since i have had a gig or party to mark that my birthday is celebrated every halloween night at midnight. so with my first birthday party in 26 years, i have booked 3 of my bands at broad st. cafe in durham.

my original band (i just play under my name now) is at 9pm. chris chamis (h-bombs, secret service, captured live studio owner) is our new drummer.

young neil and the damage done follows at 10:45pm

the hanks (my last party even pre-dated their inception in the late 80s') is on around 11:45pm.

there's no cover, costumes are encouraged but not required. there are about a dozen draft beers on tap and broad street has expanded their menu to wood fired pizza.

Friday, October 31
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Flat Tires
Gojira-X (http://www.gojira-x.com/)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Friday, October 31
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

If you're feeling like braving the wilds of downtown Chapel Hill on Halloween, there'll actually be a great rock show on East Franklin, assuming you can cram yourself through the door.

Friday, October 31
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
Sleeping in the Aviary
Western City
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 31
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Stu Cole's Spectral Spasms
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 31
Fanzig (http://www.myspace.com/saintswilldo)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, October 31
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

It's a psychobilly freakout!

Saturday, November 1
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The dB's (http://www.thedbsonline.net)
Billy Bragg (http://billybragg.com/)
Graham Terrace, UNC, Chapel Hill

This is a [quiet] concert to celebrate the last day of early voting in NC. It's being held on Graham Terrace, which is immediately adjacent to Morehead Planetarium, the main early-voting site on the UNC end of Chapel Hill. The show starts at 9:00 AM (MORNING!) and runs until early voting cuts off at 1:00 PM.

In addition to a star-studded lineup of locals (Superchunk acoustic! dBs!), Billy Bragg, in town to play at Duke at night, has been added to the bill.

This is the lineup as I cut-n-pasted it the other day:

Billy Bragg
The dBs
Superchunk (acoustic)
Ivan Rosebud
Megafaun
I Was Totally Destroying It
Bowerbirds
Greg Humphreys
Regina Hexaphone
Portastatic

Updates will be posted at www.NCForChange.com.

Saturday, November 1
Project Symphony (http://www.projectsymphony.org/)
Hill Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill

Just in case you didn't find Ari Picker's Lost in the Trees to be sufficiently string-and-horn-laden, he's also been working on a longer-term project, Project Symphony, which is designed to sponsor & promote the composition of symphonic works, presumably preferably those with some willingness to blur the boundaries between symphonic music and "rock music."

Tonight is the first concert in the series, and the featured piece is Ari's own Symphony No. 1 in C Minor. Tickets range between $11 and $31, with proceeds going to Chatham County Together. The show starts at 7:00.

Saturday, November 1
Billy Bragg (http://billybragg.com/)
Page Auditorium, Durham

I was such a huge Billy Bragg fan in high school & college that it doesn't even bother me that I haven't paid much attention to him since then; I still have this core of fondness that I don't feel any need to re-examine. When "Mermaid Avenue" came out (10 years ago!), its offhand brilliance was just the thing to reinforce that fondness.

So I'm going into this show not so much with high expectations (I don't really have any, in fact), but with this sort of back-of-the-mind assumption that whatever it's like, it's bound to be interesting. Would be even without an enormously momentous political moment 3 days away, though that's bound to up the interestingness quotient.

Saturday, November 1
Soundpainting Orchestra (http://www.myspace.com/trianglesoundpaintingorchestra)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Pinhook folks were hoping to have their liquor license by tonight, but honestly I think the ALE folks go out of their way to find out when you want to open, and then intentionally hold the license for a while after that date. At least I don't think I've ever seen a bar or a restaurant open with its licenses fully in order around here.

No matter, for tonight you can just BYOB. Here's Shannon Morrow's rundown of tonight's events:

!!!Winky!!!
(a twinkling visual spectacle otherwise known as Post Election Brain Repair - guaranteed to stimulate your brain pre-election this time!)
and Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra
at
The Pinhook Bar
117 Main St., Downtown Durham
November 1, 2008 - 8pm

Artist Jim Kellough and composer Shannon Morrow present an expanded cinema performance featuring live music to accompany projected imagery on a giant screen. The imagery, called WINKY, uses 6 slide projectors - special effects that merge the images into a large-scale photomontage that moves and “winks”. A “soundtrack” will be performed in real time by Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra, an 11 piece acoustic ensemble composed of a variety of wind, reed, string, and percussion instrumentalists.

Saturday, November 1
Viking Moses (http://www.myspace.com/vikingmoses)
Jamie Stewart (http://www.myspace.com/xiuxiuforlife)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This show is POSTPONED until sometime in the Spring.

Saturday, November 1
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Chip Robinson & the Heavy Outfit
Pour House, Raleigh

It's a night of straight-up romper-stomper rock-and-roll.

Saturday, November 1
DJs Mothersbrothers
Ultimate Optimist
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Contrary to earlier reports, Savage Knights are not playing this show.

Saturday, November 1
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Bowerbirds recently canceled a bunch of tour dates due to being freaking worn out by a whole bunch of earlier tour dates. I'm sure it's not news to most folks around here that indie-rock touring, with its minimalism in areas such as accommodation, transport, nutrition and sleep, is pretty grueling, but it bears repeating. Also bears repeating: these folks don't get work-provided healthcare. Not everyone in that situation has the intelligence or the luxury to say "woah, stop, we're killing ourselves with this pace."

Sunday, November 2
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

This week features another Troika Music Festival, so we're going to celebrate two ways: first, the Wigg Report (playing Friday night at Bull McCabe's) are gonna wow us with their impossibly catchy/stoned antifolk/acoustipunk classics; then we'll devote the rest of the show to playing as many songs by as many Troika bands as we can.

4:00 p.m., 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 2
Deerhunter (http://www.notownsound.net/deerhunter/)
Times New Viking (http://www.timesnewviking.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, November 2
Bad Checks (http://demonbeach.com/checks.htm)
Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Pour House, Raleigh

Reunions (or returns from long hiatuses, anyway) for '90s-era Raleigh hardrockers Leadfoot, and long-lived '80s-era punkabilly icons the Bad Checks (who've come and gone three or four times over the past 25 years). Bad Checks are one of my favorite local bands of all time, and bassist Clif Mann spent most of their '90s and '00s downtime playing guitar for first Pipe and then The Ghost of Rock, so there's an extra boost, as if they needed one.

Current rock titans Dirty Little Heaters & Olympic Ass-Kicking Team round out the lineup.

Sunday, November 2
Bishop Allen (http://www.bishopallen.com/)
Electric Owls (http://www.myspace.com/electricowls)
An Horse (http://www.myspace.com/anhorse)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's catching-up-with-the-bloggers night; between Deerhunter & Times New Viking at the Cradle, and An Horse at Local 506, you've got at least three bands whose blog-buzz has penetrated even my thick cocoon, though I haven't heard a note by any of 'em.

Sunday, November 2
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Yarn
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, November 3
Murs (http://www.mursmusic.com/)
Kidz in the Hall (http://www.kidzinthehall.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, November 3
usaisamonster (http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/usaisamonster.html)
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Bolmongani (http://www.myspace.com/bolmongani)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Monday, November 3
Drive-By Truckers (http://www.drivebytruckers.com/)
The Hold Steady (http://www.theholdsteady.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

This is it, the thinking man's dude-rock extravaganza of the year, if not the decade. If you're going to this show, it's a safe bet that you not only already know it, but that you've been psyching up for weeks in advance as well. Your coworkers are probably getting tired of hearing the same five albums on repeat from over the cube wall, in fact.

Monday, November 3
Little Teeth (http://www.myspace.com/littleteethmusic)
Pepi Ginsberg (http://www.myspace.com/pepiginsberg)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

How do you know it's CMJ-time? When there are like six different shows by unknown outta-town bands on a Monday night.

Monday, November 3
Barn Burning (http://www.barnburning.net/)
Sharks Come Cruising (http://sharkscomecruising.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, November 3
Scott Phillips
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
The King Canutes
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The King Canutes are the NYC-based band of Raleigh expat Richard Alwyn, aka Dick Luxury, who used to work the counter at Schoolkids in the '90s dressed immaculately in a series of impeccable suits, and who was one of the prime instigators of the long-running post-Valentines "Love Hangover" series of duet shows.

Wednesday, November 5
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
Kaki King (http://www.kakiking.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's billed as the Last Happy Night of Your Life, and I suppose depending on the outcome of the election, that may or may not be painfully accurate.

There's a review in this week's Indy of a pair of new Mountain Goats EPs, including a collaboration with Kaki King: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A267958

Wednesday, November 5
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Sikhara (http://www.radoncollective.org/artists/sikhara/home.html)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 5
Anathallo (http://www.anathallo.com/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Cale Parks (http://www.myspace.com/caleparksmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 6
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
All Your Science
Paleface
Angelo Spencer (http://www.myspace.com/angelospencer)
Durham Central Park, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

8:30PM - Future Kings of Nowhere
7:45PM - Lost in the Trees
7:00PM - Paleface
6:15PM - All Your Science
5:30PM - Angelo Spencer

Thursday, November 6
Brett Harris
Bob Funck (http://bobfunck.com)
Matthew Boles
Alivia's Durham Bistro, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

9:00PM - Brett Harris
8:15PM - Bob Funck
7:30PM - Matthew Boles

Thursday, November 6
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Fujiyama Roll (http://www.myspace.com/fujiyamaroll)
James Joyce, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:15PM - Jews and Catholics
9:30PM - Simple
8:45PM - Sugar in the Dirt
8:00PM - Fujiyama Roll

Thursday, November 6
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:15PM - Red Collar
10:15PM - Sorry About Dresden
9:30PM - Le Weekend
8:45PM - Sequoya
8:00PM - Pink Flag

Thursday, November 6
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Screaming Females (http://www.screamingfemales.com)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Dylan Gilbert
The Pinhook, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:15 - Future Islands
10:30 - Screaming Females
9:45 - Juan Huevos
9:00 - Dylan Gilbert

Thursday, November 6
The Midnight Gladness Band
Doly Toro (http://dolytoro.net)
Oso Optimo (http://www.myspace.com/osooptimo)
Marvell Building, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:45PM - Midnight Gladness Band
10:00PM - Doly Toro
9:15PM - Oso Optimo

Thursday, November 6
Puritan Rodeo (http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/)
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is night 1 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:30PM - Puritan Rodeo
10:45PM - Fontana
10:00PM - Shakermaker

Thursday, November 6
Whale Watchers
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, November 6
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These shows at Duke's Armadillo Grill kick off around 5:00 p.m., so you can swing by for some beer, some free chips & salsa, and some local rock (Indie from Nathan Oliver, quirk-folk from Midtown Dickens, and Christian noise from Clang Quartet) and still make it out to whatever else you've got going on.

Friday, November 7
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Girls Rock NC (http://www.girlsrocknc.org/)
Carolina Theatre, Durham

Troika departs from its normal program of 15 simultaneous shows at different local venues, for a big-marquee show at the Carolina Theatre. Hopefully you recognize all those names fairly readily; I believe the Girls Rock NC program will feature one or more of the preteen girl bands formed during this past summer's local rock-n-roll camp for girls.

10:45PM - The Rosebuds
9:30PM - Kimya Dawson
8:30PM - The Old Ceremony
7:30PM - Bellafea
5:45PM - Girls Rock NC Program

Friday, November 7
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Explorers Club (http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, November 7
The Bridges (http://www.thebridgesmusic.net)
Matthew Sweet (http://www.matthewsweet.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 7
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Bright Young Things
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the new Rooster for the Masses.

Friday, November 7
Bio Ritmo (http://www.bioritmo.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 7
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Bull McCabe's, Durham

This is meant to be an after-party after the big Troika show at the Carolina Theatre.

12:45AM - Ex-Monkeys
11:55PM - Wigg Report

Saturday, November 8
Spencer Scholes (http://www.spencerscholes.com)
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Clayton Sabine (http://www.myspace.com/claytonsabine)
Alivia's Durham Bistro, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

9:30PM - Spencer Scholes
8:45PM - Tea & Tempests
8:00PM - Clayton Sabin

Saturday, November 8
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:35PM - Tooth
10:45PM - Midtown Dickens
10:00PM - The Curtains of Night
9:15PM - Cantwell, Gomez, and Jordan
8:35PM - The Gates of Beauty
8:00PM - Clawform

Saturday, November 8
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
The Heist and the Accomplice (http://www.myspace.com/theheistandtheaccomplice)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Sea Cow
James Joyce, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:15PM - Velvet
9:30PM - *SONS
8:45PM - The Heist and the Accomplice
8:00PM - Sea Cow

Saturday, November 8
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Marvell Building, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

10:30PM - A Rooster for the Masses
9:45PM - Dr. Powerful
9:00PM - Veronique Diabolique
8:15PM - The Virgo 9

Saturday, November 8
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Sirens Lounge, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:00PM - Schooner
10:15PM - Nathan Oliver
9:15PM - The Proclivities
8:30PM - Rat Jackson

Saturday, November 8
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
The Travesties
The Pinhook, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

11:00 - I Was Totally Destroying It
10:15 - The Travesties
9:30 - The Pneurotics
8:45 - Resist Not!

Saturday, November 8
Mark Kozelek (http://www.sunkilmoon.com/)
Kath Bloom (http://www.myspace.com/kathbloomchapter)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, November 8
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Scott Waite Debacle (http://myspace.com/scottwaiteisbenevolent)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is night 3 of the Troika Music Festival, which features so many shows with so many bands at so many venues that I can't really do much more than list them all. So here:

12:15AM - Hammer No More The Fingers
11:30PM - The Dry Heathens
10:45PM - The Scott Waite Debacle
10:00PM - Death to the Details

Saturday, November 8
The Bottle Rockets (http://www.bottlerocketsmusic.com)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Saturday, November 8
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, November 8
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Ghost Writer (http://www.ghostwriterband.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 9
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

When I asked Jenks Miller to play the show, I told him I'd be thrilled to have any of his projects, from the solo electric guitar of his recent "Approaching the Invisible Mountain," to the loping country-rock of Mount Moriah, to the massive wall-of-noise of The Hem of His Garment.

He chose to bring Horseback, his stretched-out ambient noise/drone project, whose "Impale Golden Horn" was one of my absolute favorite CDs of 2007. So I couldn't be more excited. Tune in at 4:00 at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org. You can read an interview with Jenks here: http://www.wral.com/entertainment/blogpost/3849808/

Sunday, November 9
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Not sure if this is a one-off show or if Flicker, after many many years, is moving to Nightlight from the Cradle. Either way, Flicker is a frequent (8-10x a year) festival of mostly locally-produced shorts shot on film.

Monday, November 10
Shaky Hands (http://www.myspace.com/shakyhands)
Oscar Begat (http://www.reverbnation.com/oscarbegat)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 11
Diplo (http://www.formdiplo.com)
Abe Vigoda (http://www.myspace.com/abevigoda)
Boy 8 Bit (http://www.myspace.com/boy8bit)
Telepathe (http://www.myspace.com/telepathe)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, November 11
Everything Now! (http://www.everythingnowmusic.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Tuesday, November 11
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Rosewood Thieves
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of October 31, 2008, grady, 10/31/2008